Llambias Q&A with Chronicle: OP updated with Thursday's articles

Guest neesy111

Alot of what he says makes sense, and i think "fair enough",....... then i remember Joe Kinnear is our manager.

Remember folks Kinnear was the only manager to step up. He's obviously not the answer mid to long term. However any descent manager is probably only going to become available in the summer.

Kinnear, health permitting, will have to see us safe. Changing manager now would be pointless.

Btw if we'd spent £8m on Johnson does that mean there would have been nothing to spend in the summer?

I wouldn't think so.

I think in the summer we will make every effort to get rid of a good number of players who just aren't worth what they are costing the club, and this will allow for more money to be invested on top of the £8 million currently sitting there.

Many thought that would happen last summer. And this January.

We've given two of them new contracts.

You can't do it in a Jan window, no excuse for last summer though.

Guest neesy111

Btw if we'd spent £8m on Johnson does that mean there would have been nothing to spend in the summer?

I wouldn't think so.

I think in the summer we will make every effort to get rid of a good number of players who just aren't worth what they are costing the club, and this will allow for more money to be invested on top of the £8 million currently sitting there.

it can happen this summer though with some players out of contract, owen, viduka, cacapa, geremi (being offered to clubs this transfer window)

Won't paying up front for players whilst still getting it in via installments cause us cashflow problems?

Possibly, unless Ashley bank rolls the difference.

I think buying upfront and selling in instalments is the only way to get the club out of this mess. Upfront means the prices are lower and there's no hidden charges or things to pay in the future, while selling in instalments means we get more money, and in some cases will be the only way to offload some of the shite, and this gives us a continuous flow of income over the next few seasons no matter how we perform (on or off the pitch)

As long as Ashley puts up the difference in a none interest loan, which im sure he would in this case, then its sound business for the club.

I wouldn't think so.

The problem is, someone else has to want them.  :undecided:

And we've given two of them nice new contracts.

I wouldn't think so.

Giving Shola a new contract is daft iyam, but I don't think they had any choice with Butt did they?

EDIT: Unless you mean Harper  :razz:

Alot of what he says makes sense, and i think "fair enough",....... then i remember Joe Kinnear is our manager.

Remember folks Kinnear was the only manager to step up. He's obviously not the answer mid to long term. However any descent manager is probably only going to become available in the summer.

Kinnear, health permitting, will have to see us safe. Changing manager now would be pointless.

Nah i dont buy into that.  He has a contract offer, if he was sprouting BS, Newcastle would of been quick to rubbish it.  Letting it slide like they did, suggests it is true.

I wouldn't think so.

We could still get money for Ameobi, even if its £2m or so, while Butts contract is hopefully reduced at his age, it should be.

Will he see us safe? His win record is awful, if Boro and West Brom go on a half decent run then we're in trouble. At the moment we have to rely on them being shitter than us.

Dennis Wise has been confirmed as the director of football now.

This essentially means that the manager in place will have to be someone he is familiar/comfortable working with.

Hence the approach for Gus Poyet, which he confirmed, after Keegan left the club. Dennis is also very familiar with JK also.

If we bring someone else in this summer let's just hope he has some more impressive pals than JK who would be more willng to come in now things have calmed down at the club.

Someone like Deschamps for example.

I wouldn't think so.

Giving Shola a new contract is daft iyam, but I don't think they had any choice with Butt did they?

No idea on the Butt thing, I still don't buy us not having any choice in the matter. What, so the deal and wages were already agreed years ago? Seems mental.

Guest neesy111

Nah i dont buy into that.  He has a contract offer, if he was sprouting BS, Newcastle would of been quick to rubbish it.  Letting it slide like they did, suggests it is true.

even if the contract is there, it still need's ashley's signature on it even if kinnear agree's to it

I wouldn't think so.

No idea on the Butt thing, I still don't buy us not having any choice in the matter. What, so the deal and wages were already agreed years ago? Seems mental.

Its probably a reduced salary but a year extension which is up to him to take.

I wouldn't think so.

We could still get money for Ameobi, even if its £2m or so, while Butts contract is hopefully reduced at his age, it should be.

We can't though. He won't leave.

If Butt's contract is reduced, why didn't we reduce it to the point where he left anyway - getting us out of the enforced contract?

Will he see us safe? His win record is awful, if Boro and West Brom go on a half decent run then we're in trouble. At the moment we have to rely on them being shitter than us.

I agree.

I hope Kinnear can see us safe, is probably a better way of putting it.

This essentially means that the manager in place will have to be someone he is familiar/comfortable working with.

Hence the approach for Gus Poyet, which he confirmed, after Keegan left the club. Dennis is also very familiar with JK also.

If we bring someone else in this summer let's just hope he has some more impressive pals than JK who would be more willng to come in now things have calmed down at the club.

So with your theory we're basically limited to Dennis's Facebook? :(

What a bloody mess.

even if the contract is there, it still need's ashley's signature on it even if kinnear agree's to it

Huh?  If they offered him a contract - the owner would want him to stay.  They went through the expense of drawing up a contract they are serious about it - they consider him here long term.  Also on Kinnear has he got anywhere else to go? 

I wouldn't think so.

Quite possibly true though.  If you play..... we offer you..... although you'll be free to walk away if you want.

I wouldn't think so.

We've given two of them new contracts.

I would imagine both Butt and Shola are seen as squad players who are experienced and familiar with the club and area now, and more than anything are ssen as important dressing room players. I can't imagine they would have been giving substantial contracts and hopefully they will not be seen as key players next season.

Best case scenario I know, but I'm hoping that this is the sort of idea anyway.

I wouldn't think so.

We can't though. He won't leave.

If Butt's contract is reduced, why didn't we reduce it to the point where he left anyway - getting us out of the enforced contract?

He might if he's told there's no future and a prem club came in.

I meant a reduction in wages. When his initial contract was signed he was offered a wages for 4 years, then because he'd be in his 30's another year was added but that is at a reduced salary, say 25% off, if he wants to take it. At the time we were signing a very good Nicky Butt from Manu, we needed to offer him a good deal in to his late 30's, i'm guessing the contract is arranged as such, it might even be the same for Viduka.

These responses all tend to reinforce Ashley and Lambias's original standpoint - if they stay quiet, they get hammered. If they speak up, they get hammered.

They don't get hammered for speaking or not speaking.  They get hammered for incosnsistency, for example.....

"The caliber of player we want to bring in is someone with a lot of Premiership experience or Champions League experience and they are in short supply. We are at a stage where we don't want to just bring players in to add to the squad, we want players who are going to be in the first team."

Chris Mort 02/08/2007

"NEWCASTLE United have completed the signing of midfielder Danny Guthrie from Liverpool.  The 21-year-old put pen to paper on a four-year contract at St. James' Park on Friday evening after the Magpies agreed a fee with the Reds."

NUFC 11/07/2008

"NEWCASTLE United have agreed a fee with FC Metz for France under-21 defender Sebastien Bassong."

NUFC 30/07/2008

"NEWCASTLE United have completed the signing of Spain under-21 striker Francisco "Xisco" Jimenez Tejada."

NUFC 01/09/2008

"The truth is that Newcastle could not sustain buying the Shevchenko's, Robinho's or the Berbatov's. These are recognised European footballers. They have played in the European leagues and everyone knows about them. They can be brilliant signings. But everybody knows that they are brilliant and so they, and players like them, cost more than £30 million to buy before you even take into account agent commissions and the multi-million pound wage deals.  My plan and my strategy for Newcastle is different. It has to be. It takes time. It can't be done overnight. Newcastle has therefore set up an extensive scouting system. We look for young players, for players in foreign leagues who everyone does not know about. We try and stay ahead of the competition. We search high and low looking for value, for potential that we can bring on and for players who will allow Newcastle to compete at the very highest level but who don't cost the earth."

Mike Ashley 14/09/2008

"The team is going to need time to get things right and we're going to give them time to get it right. We will get it right eventually."

Chris Mort 07/12/2007

"Newcastle United has parted company with Sam Allardyce as its Manager with immediate effect."

NUFC 09/01/2008

"I'd like to start with people in the North East because there are some great people who come to our matches who sit in the corporate areas, and wouldnt it be great to have local backing for what we are doing?  Some of them would talk to me last season and say, "Mike, is there an opportunity for us to come into the club again because we were shareholders in the plc previously?" I'd tell them we'd look at it at the end of the season as there was no rush but why wouldn't I welcome people who wanted to invest?"

Mike Ashley 08/08/2008

I am Mike Ashley, not Mike Ashley a multi-billionaire with unlimited resources. Newcastle United and I can't do what other clubs can. We can't afford it.

Mike Ashley 14/09/2008

"I am now a dad who can't take his kids to a football game on a Saturday because I am advised that we would be assaulted"

Mike Ashley 14/09/2008

"A number of groups came to the ground to carry out their lawful protest and I would like to praise those fans for the way in which they behaved."

Ch Supt Paul Weir, Northumbria Police's match commander 14/09/2008

"We gave no formal advice to Mr Ashley about not attending Saturday's game.  It is not our place to do so."

Northumbria Police 16/09/2008

"This club had £100million-worth of debt which has now been cleared"

Chris Mort 07/05/2008

"I then poured another £110 million into the club not to pay off the debt but just to reduce it. The club is still in debt.  Even worse than that, the club still owes millions of pounds in transfer fees."

Mike Ashley 14/09/2008

"Financially we're very sound. We don't owe a bean as far as the club are concerned"

Joe Kinnear 02/01/2009

"Arsenal is the shining example in England of a sustainable business model."

Mike Ashley 14/09/2008

"If I go into a job and someone says to me that you have a director of football who buys and sells the players, I accept or don't accept it.  If I accept it, I cannot complain. I would personally not accept that"

Arsene Wenger 12/09/2008

"I'm here to help Kevin, bringing young players through and also recommend certain players to him.  He'll say yes and no, he has the final word, no-one else. Everything that happens will be run past him.  I'm not going to bring players in behind his back - I'm not into that."

Dennis Wise 01/02/2008

"We have started talking about who we will be bringing in and Kevin will have the final say"

Chris Mort 07/05/2008

"It is a fact that Kevin Keegan, as manager, had specific duties in that he was responsible for the training, coaching, selection and motivation of the Team.  It is a fact that Kevin Keegan was allowed to manage his specific duties without any interference from any Board member.  It is a fact that Kevin Keegan agreed only to deal with the media in relation to Club matters relating to the Team and not to communicate with the media in relation to the acquisition or disposal of players."

NUFC 06/09/2008

“I understand investors are about to buy the club, Mike Ashley told me openly. I will be here for six to eight games.  I am aware that the new owners have Kevin Keegan and possibly Alan Shearer parked around the corner.”

Joe Kinnear 25/09/2008

"NEWCASTLE United have announced today that Joe Kinnear has signed a contract as manager until the end of the 2008/09 season."

NUFC 28/11/2008

"I am no longer prepared to subsidise Newcastle United. I am putting the club up for sale. You don't need to demonstrate against me again because I have got the message."

Mike Ashley 14/09/2008

"I have withdrawn Newcastle United from the market"

Mike Ashley 28/12/2008

"I gave you my word that as long as I remain owner, this club would continue to be run responsibly at all levels. I hope you will accept that I have stood by that pledge."

Mike Ashley 28/12/2008

Quote released when Newcastle where 2 points off the relegation places, halfway through the season

“Joe’s the man to do the job. He’s my hero. Is he better than Capello? Definitely. We are going to be in Europe by the end of the season!”

Mike Ashley 18/12/2008

Outcome pending

"He [Given] won't be leaving, he has no interest in that whatsoever. He loves the football club, he's part of the city and that suits us because he's a world-class goalkeeper. He's very happy here, he's very comfortable at Newcastle United."

Joe Kinnear 31/12/2008

"Shay is very despondent, all that he can see ahead with the turmoil on and off the pitch is a battle for survival.  Having served the club loyally for over 11 years, Shay feels compelled to consider his position"

Michael Kennedy 01/01/2009

"I have enquired about Ferguson, but we will wait and see what the outcome is."

Joe Kinnear 03/01/2009

"As far as my chairman, my chief executive and myself are concerned, there's been no contact with Newcastle or any other club regarding Barry."

Walter Smith 05/01/2009

"I have withdrawn Newcastle United from the market.  Any potential buyer would have to show they had the best interests of Newcastle United at heart and had both the commitment and finance to be worthy custodians of such a fine football club before I would even consider doing a deal."

Mike Ashley 28/12/2008

“A few weeks ago there was a decent degree of positive thought and optimism that there would be a buyer and then, amongst others, Mr Madoff came along. There were two people that were looking at Newcastle with us who lost, let’s say, over $300m to Madoff.  Let’s face it, it (the Madoff scandal) holed everything beneath the water line. The people who were investing with him followed their peers and they should have done their due diligence and all those things and they didn’t.  That came at the end of a two or three-month period of absolute decline in all the stock markets, financial markets and banking markets.”

Keith Harris 09/01/2009

"I've spoken to my bosses at the club. They know what my aims are and what I want to continue to progress. As soon as a big club knocks on the door with a good offer, I don't think they'll prevent me leaving."

Charles N'Zogbia 08/01/2009

"The agent’s being disrespectful. He’s never had the decency to explain anything to any member of this football club. It’s laughable, to be honest.  It’s absolute nonsense. Charles is under contract until 2012, and I told him on day one that he was a very important player."

Joe Kinnear 09/01/2009

“Over the course of the year I’ve spoken to lots of fans about how we can improve things at St James’ Park"

Chris Mort 22/05/2009

"The SJP Box Office telephone number has now been changed with immediate effect to: 0844 372 1892."

NUFC.com 20/01/2009

"01/02 phone numbers are used for everyday local and national calls and can be included in any free or discounted minutes on your tariff. If you don’t have inclusive minutes for these, you’ll typically pay around 4p per minute (ppm) peak and around 1.5ppm off-peak from landlines.

0844 is a revenue-sharing number that is not included in 'free' or discounted minutes. Calls to 0844 phone numbers cost up to 5p a minute from landlines at all times of day, and typically between 15p (if you're a 3 mobile customer) and 40p per minute from mobiles. Depending on your network, call charges may be higher on pay as you go than on a contract."

Which.co.uk

“I have been out of the country and just returned.  I don’t know anything about this.  If I have been appointed as coach of Newcastle United then that is certainly news to me.”

Colin Calderwood 20/01/2009

"We have Colin Calderwood on board now, he will be joining us until the end of the season to bring something else to our backroom team."

Joe Kinnear 26/01/2009

"I am the first to accept there have been times this season when you would have liked to have heard more from me direct, particularly at certain points. There have been reasons why I have not have been able to do that, but in the new year we will look to communicate with you more about what we are doing at St.James' Park, be it through the club's official website, programme and magazine as well as the wider media."

Mike Ashley 28/12/2008

“Mike is going to speak to the Press when the window shuts."

Joe Kinnear 15/01/2009

"I think they will sit down with supporters' groups and fans and the people of Newcastle at the end of the season - I know they want to do that."

Joe Kinnear 05/02/2009

"I'm physically AOK"

Joe Kinnear 22/11/2008

“Joe Kinnear was admitted to hospital on Saturday morning."

NUFC 07/02/2009

So with your theory we're basically limited to Dennis's Facebook? :(

What a bloody mess.

Does anyone stand out on his friends list?

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/friends/?id=1514633920

Dennis has 18 friends.

Alfonso Alves

Message|View Friends

Andrei Arshavin

Message|View Friends

Friend Mike Ashley

Message|View Friends

Newcastle

Networks: Newcastle

John 'Digger' Barnes

London