Aston Villa

lovejoy

a big part of scolari getting sacked iyam, and also a big reason why arsenal may be forced to look at their position at the end of the season.

for the first time in a long while a team is threatening, really threatening to break up the top 4, and unlike evrerton, villa have cash to spend an an abundance of young talent which now dominates the enegland squad.

when did a team besides man utd/liverpool pack an england squad with 6 players?

chairmen are s*** scared that they may not make the top 4 because of villla, and for arsenal (i think im right in saying) the outcome could be catastrophic, im pretty sure they have financed their stadium on year on year chumps league.

naturally, im jealious as f***, and wish it was us, but i wish them well, top club villa, doing things right, their manager and chairmen are some boys too.

good to see another team shaking it up, its been boring as f*** for years at the top.

gives hope to the rest of us imo. O0

They remind me of us under Robson. Scared of nobody, quick, exciting football, proper manager, good club. Will be glad to see them break the monopoly, but obviously wish it was us again.

They remind me of us under Robson. Scared of nobody, quick, exciting football, proper manager, good club. Will be glad to see them break the monopoly, but obviously wish it was us again.

aye, they remind me of the same. fearless as fuck, confident they'll do anybody.

Never disliked Villa, and they're genuinely good to watch this season.

Hope they finish top four; above Chelsea would really set the cat amongst the pigeons.

The depressing thing is that I think we could have been somewhere up there this season if we were even half-decent. :(

[dreamland]

Arsenal finishes season at sixth, sacks Wenger...

Kinnear leaves after barely keeping us up.

Ashley makes shock summer move for Wenger.

[/dreamland]

Don't know what they got in that Korean noodle soup dude....but I want some of it :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

The big test will come when the way Villa play no longer works for them which will come as every team finds out, can MON adapt their play?

I think 3rd place is definitely attainable for them. With Arsenal and Chelsea seemingly imploding on themselves, the chance is there. All they then need is for Liverpools luck to run out and 2nd is a possibility.

I think Man U are just too strong to think about being Champions.

Marvellous season they are having though. All their fans that I know down here as well are canny - not an arsehole amongst them

:thup:

The big test will come when the way Villa play no longer works for them which will come as every team finds out, can MON adapt their play?

true, it happened to us when teams started to sit deep to counter act our pace in bobbys team.

time will tell, would love to see them stick it out in the top 4 this season though, and finish 3rd or higher, would really stir the pot up that.

It hasn't come this season.

Whilst the fundamentals of our game haven't changed (pace, counter attack), we've had to change our shape a fair bit (5 in midfield while Carew was out, and we only had Agbonlahor up front, for example).

He changed things a fair bit in the run-in last season as well, playing Young in a free roaming role behind the strikers, which worked very well.

Plenty of teams have actually already worked out how to stifle us - stick ten men behind the ball. The one thing we lack right now is someone in midfield who can unlock defences when they come to Villa Park and do that (Wigan and Fulham were good examples).

Currently we do better against teams who have a go, and attack. That's why we won at the Emirates, and why we really should have beaten Arsenal at home too.

I think the key thing is that this is the start, and we're over-achieving. I said at the start of the season that I really wanted us to establish ourselves as the best of the rest, that would have been an achievement. It is looking better at the moment, but even if we finished 5th, it'd be a very good season, as we've seen flashes of what we can do.

Much rather get consistent top four finishes rather than do it once then burn out and fade

Oh, incidentally, also makes me laugh when (not on here) people say we've had no injuries. They've clearly not noticed our Dutch international left back out for the entire season so far, Martin Laursen currently out for three months, and John Carew missing for almost three months (and although not through injuries, but due to Shorey's shitness, Luke Young being played on the wrong side of the pitch and NRC, Gardener or Cuellar beimg played out of position at RB).

Guest Howaythetoon

Good post Brummie, I'd love to see Villa win the league, but as Robster said Man Utd are just too strong. I think 2nd can't be ruled out though and do hope yous get a CL spot, ahead of Chelsea, now that would be funny.

I think 3rd place is definitely attainable for them. With Arsenal and Chelsea seemingly imploding on themselves, the chance is there. All they then need is for Liverpools luck to run out and 2nd is a possibility.

I think Man U are just too strong to think about being Champions.

Marvellous seasong they are having though. All their fans that I know down here as well are canny - not an arsehole amongst them

:thup:

Yeah I like the Villa fans. They've not always had it good, they had to live through "the Doug Ellis experience" when the owner had nothing to invest, appointed some no mark managers and was just trying to hang on to Premiership status until someone rich enough came along and bought him out..... :shifty:

Good post Brummie, I'd love to see Villa win the league, but as Robster said Man Utd are just too strong. I think 2nd can't be ruled out though and do hope yous get a CL spot, ahead of Chelsea, now that would be funny.

Man United are far, far stronger than us, there's no chance whatsoever of us winning the league.

I honestly don't think Liverpool are much better than us (people talk about us riding our luck, but Liverpool have ridden theirs far more). Where Liverpool have the edge is that they - collectively and individually - have the experience which we don't.

Top four - anywhere in it - and I'll be delighted. Fifth and I'll be very happy. Sixth, and I'll still be relatively happy, but will reflect on what might have been.

A little under 2.5 years ago we had DOL, Doug Ellis, finished 16th and were staring at absolutely certain relegation. Lerner and O'Neill have worked miracles to change things so quickly.

Yeah I like the Villa fans. They've not always had it good, they had to live through "the Doug Ellis experience" when the owner had nothing to invest, appointed some no mark managers and was just trying to hang on to Premiership status until someone rich enough came along and bought him out..... :shifty:

When Ellis left the club for five years, we won the league and European Cup. He returned and four years after the EC, we were relegated. You can't really say much worse than that about a chairman.

We've had spells where we've finished second or threatened (Sir Graham Taylor, Atkinson, Brian Little's spells) but that was always despite Ellis.

In Ellis's favour though, he saw through George Gillet when he tried to buy us and the Anyone But Ellis brigade were begging him to sell. Bullet dodged. He then sold to the best man he could have. For that he deserves credit.

a big part of scolari getting sacked iyam, and also a big reason why arsenal may be forced to look at their position at the end of the season.

for the first time in a long while a team is threatening, really threatening to break up the top 4, and unlike evrerton, villa have cash to spend an an abundance of young talent which now dominates the enegland squad.

when did a team besides man utd/liverpool pack an england squad with 6 players?

chairmen are s*** scared that they may not make the top 4 because of villla, and for arsenal (i think im right in saying) the outcome could be catastrophic, im pretty sure they have financed their stadium on year on year chumps league.

naturally, im jealious as f***, and wish it was us, but i wish them well, top club villa, doing things right, their manager and chairmen are some boys too.

good to see another team shaking it up, its been boring as f*** for years at the top.

gives hope to the rest of us imo. O0

seen somewhere the other day that arsenal do not budget for making the champions league every season

I like and admire MON had we get him over here instead of Roader we would have been up there challnging. I am all for Villa on the top of the league it would be massive if they qualifay for Champions league. I hate when people have monoplized things and that what the top four did for the past 6 years.

credit where its due, Villa have been brilliant.  It's all down to Martin O'Neil.  I recall watching him talk to Ashley Young on the pitch when he scored two goals against Everton I think.  He ran up to him at the final whistle screaming "your brilliant, you really are amazing, well done" he was so passionate and that kind of determination to raise your players confidence and motivate them is why he is getting so much out of his side.  He's bought well, spent money on some decent players with pace mostly.  The fact that in around 2 years he has got them where he has is wonderful stuff.  Hope they do finish top 4 and I'd love it if they kept Chelsea out.

I have a feeling Owen will end up going there come end of season.

I really did think we were gonna get O'Neill when we appointed Souness. In the history of shocking decisions, if we didn't try every trick in the book to get him that has to be one of the worst.

Fair play to Villa and good luck to them for the rest of the season.