Is Kinnear leaving in the summer?

dcmk
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Llambias made it clear that if it was ever a case of Wise or the manager, Wise would win every time. Then he went on to say 'Wise and Joe works quite well'. There is also a three-and-half year contract sat on Kinnear's table waiting to be signed.

He's not going anywhere, that much is clear to me.

Makes you sick doesn't it?

or if Spurs go down, will Mike finally get his man and have Harry redknapp up here? Cos harry isnt going to manage in the championship, there arent enough column inches for him down there.

Llambias made it clear that if it was ever a case of Wise or the manager, Wise would win every time. Then he went on to say 'Wise and Joe works quite well'. There is also a three-and-half year contract sat on Kinnear's table waiting to be signed.

Makes you sick doesn't it?

Yep.

or if Spurs go down, will Mike finally get his man and have Harry redknapp up here? Cos harry isnt going to manage in the championship, there arent enough column inches for him down there.

Aye because he's never done that before.

It will be interesting to see if the next 3 parts to this interview shed any light on the situation. After all, the club have been forthcoming with press releases when they have offered new contracts to players. I reckon Kinnear could have been told he'd potentially get a longer term contract in the summer.

It makes little sense to go along with that though if the club has this "5 Year Plan". On the back of that though, however unpopular it would be, someone like Poyet, relatively young and unproven would fit in with this.

One possibility would be to bring, say Poyet in as his assistant and Kinnear would happily play along as the mouthpiece whilst the real work is done by Poyet & Co, who would take over in his own right in a season or two.

What's certain is any hope of an established top class manager on Premiership Player wages is nothing but a pipedream at the minute. The business model being followed tells you that

Redknapp has stated that if Spurs go down he will retire.

Redknapp has stated that if Spurs go down he will retire.

:lol: That'd be noble of him.

Did Llambas say anything about the contract?

Not specifically, i don't think... i wasn't suggesting that btw. I appreciate the possibility that Joe could be bullshitting, but he's said there's a contract there and i'll take that as gospel for the sake of being pessimistic. :razz:

This is the most poignant part of the whole interview, imo:

"WHAT exactly does Dennis Wise do and will he be staying?

DENNIS is our director of football. He is out there looking for players.

He will remain part of our management structure. It works quite well with Joe and Dennis and ourselves.

IF Mike Ashley cares about the club and listens to the fans, why didn’t he reinstate Keegan and get rid of Wise?

IT’S a no-comment I’m afraid."

It's all about Wise for Llambias, et al, obviously. And if Kinnear is satisfied with working beneath him, then we'll probably see him stay for the long haul. Even if they were pondering getting rid of him... even then it's lose-lose. Stay up: "Oh, he's proved himself good enough, give him the contract." Go down: "We can't attract anyone better, give him the contract."

I won't personally make any conclusions yet* - the club's near future does rest on what happens in the summer and who we appoint long-term manager. Whilst Llambias' interview hasn't injected an overwhelming sense of pessimism - it hasn't ignited any hope, either, for me.

EDIT: Admittedly, bit of a contradiction there... seeing as i did so in my previous post. :blush:

Not specifically, i don't think... i wasn't suggesting that btw. I appreciate the possibility that Joe could be bullshitting, but he's said there's a contract there and i'll take that as gospel for the sake of being pessimistic. :razz:

This is the most poignant part of the whole interview, imo:

"WHAT exactly does Dennis Wise do and will he be staying?

DENNIS is our director of football. He is out there looking for players.

He will remain part of our management structure. It works quite well with Joe and Dennis and ourselves.

IF Mike Ashley cares about the club and listens to the fans, why didn’t he reinstate Keegan and get rid of Wise?

IT’S a no-comment I’m afraid."

It's all about Wise for Llambias, et al, obviously. And if Kinnear is satisfied with working beneath him, then we'll probably see him stay for the long haul. Even if they were pondering getting rid of him... even then it's lose-lose. Stay up: "Oh, he's proved himself good enough, give him the contract." Go down: "We can't attract anyone better, give him the contract."

I won't personally make any conclusions yet* - the club's near future does rest on what happens in the summer and who we appoint long-term manager. Whilst Llambias' interview hasn't injected an overwhelming sense of pessimism - it hasn't ignited any hope, either, for me.

EDIT: Admittedly, bit of a contradiction there... seeing as i did so in my previous post. :blush:

Oh ok, presonally Im not fussed if Ashley backs Wise over Keegan, i can see why he's done it and the club certainly seem to have reasons for doing it as well, which is good enough for me. My main concern with the club right now is that we get the right man in charge and any hint of Jose getting a new contract would destroy me. Its theone thing they need to get right.

Tbh I'm not so sure. And that's mainly to do with the ineptitude of those above him.

This - but the Medics might force the issue and then we will need a replacement.

I find it 100% plausible that the board will come out with some sort of statement saying that "the job will be waiting for Joe when he gets fit" and give Houghton the reins until the end of the season. Then proceed to give him a brand new four year contract on his hospital bed.

That's how much confidence I have in the sanity of our regime.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1141490/Newcastle-boss-Joe-Kinnear-needs-heart-operation.html?ITO=1490#

Newcastle boss Joe Kinnear needs heart operation

By Nick Metcalfe

Last updated at 1:38 AM on 11th February 2009

Newcastle boss Joe Kinnear

Joe Kinnear has been told by doctors that he needs an emergency heart bypass operation, throwing his future as Newcastle boss into doubt.

The 62-year-old, who had a heart attack ten years ago while managing Wimbledon, is expected to have surgery this week.

Kinnear was taken ill before Newcastle's match at West Bromwich Albion last weekend, and although he wants to return to work the Sun are reporting that doctors want to operate.

Assistant boss Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood are set to take temporary charge.

Kinnear joined Newcastle in September after Kevin Keegan dramatically quit the club, and despite being written off from the start by certain sections of the media he has steadied the ship at the troubled club to a certain extenct.

The Magpies crucially picked up three points at The Hawthorns on Saturday, but are still embroiled in a Premier League relegation battle.

Tbh I'm not so sure. And that's mainly to do with the ineptitude of those above him.

This - but the Medics might force the issue and then we will need a replacement.

I find it 100% plausible that the board will come out with some sort of statement saying that "the job will be waiting for Joe when he gets fit" and give Houghton the reins until the end of the season. Then proceed to give him a brand new four year contract on his hospital bed.

That's how much confidence I have in the sanity of our regime.

:lol:

If the followup on his health is to be believed, I think he'll be gone before the Everton game.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to throw a long term (if there is such a thing at this club) foreign manager in at the very deep end at this point in the season.  Besides the fact that no one in their right mind would do it, it just doesn't seem like a sensible idea.  This is objectively an awful situation for a potential manager, headfirst into a s*** storm involving mediocre players, a heavy burden of expectation and a nasty looking upcoming fixture list.  I think mid February is too late to be finding another Kinnear type appointment either.  What is Veneables going to offer exactly?  Alternatively, you could go fishing for a long term appointment, but that is a massive risk and I don't see it having a quick conclusion which is what the situation demands.  Can you coax Steve Bruce to bail on Wigan or something?  And quickly?  Would he even want to do it, especially in this mess?   :no:

So forget replacing Kinnear.  If he goes, it has to be caretaker/short term.  The one thing Newcastle United have done more poorly than football recently is hiring managers.  It is long, it is distracting and it will end in bitter disappointment.  Pompey and Chelsea might be able to get someone new in 48 hours, but that will never happen with us.  Learn from history.  Let's do the smart thing and save that lovely odyssey until we have beaten the drop.

If Kinnear is too ill, I think you have three practical options in the short term (which should be all that they should be focusing on until survival is likely). 

1. You trust Calderwood & Hughton to have enough familiarity and a strong enough relationship with the players to make it work by themselves.  You avoid the drama and support one or both.  The plus is stability, the minus is inexperience and a serious lack of leadership.

2. Since neither seem to be very charismatic or inspirational, you appoint Wise, Poyet, or someone else in the Mike Ashley phone book.  The risk is that you annoy and alienate supporters, but the benefit is (perhaps) a better chance of success than the untested Hughton/Calderwood duo.

3. You bring in someone closely associated enough with the club to have a familiarity with the situation and provide a morale boost that hopefully translates into victories.  Shearer is the first, but not the only name on that list. 

I would lean towards option number 2 personally, but so long as they act decisively then I am happy.  The worst case scenario is that Kinnear is forced to walk away on health grounds and they dally about without a clear decision.  If they want Hughton & Calderwood until the end of the season, fair enough.  Announce it and back them.  But don't wait 3 weeks, act now. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1141490/Newcastle-boss-Joe-Kinnear-needs-heart-operation.html?ITO=1490#

By Nick Metcalfe

Joe Kinnear has been told by doctors that he needs an emergency heart bypass operation, throwing his future as Newcastle boss into doubt.

The 62-year-old, who had a heart attack ten years ago while managing Wimbledon, is expected to have surgery this week.

Kinnear was taken ill before Newcastle's match at West Bromwich Albion last weekend, and although he wants to return to work the Sun are reporting that doctors want to operate.

Assistant boss Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood are set to take temporary charge.

Kinnear joined Newcastle in September after Kevin Keegan dramatically quit the club, and despite being written off from the start by certain sections of the media he has steadied the ship at the troubled club to a certain extenct.

The Magpies crucially picked up three points at The Hawthorns on Saturday, but are still embroiled in a Premier League relegation battle.

If this is true, than I wish all the best for Joe and his family. Have to feel for someone and their family having to go through that. And again if this is true - the man needs to leave management, better his health and spend time with his family.  There is not one good reason for him to be working in football with this sort of health.

On the Newcastle side, if this is true - he has to go, Ashley/Llambas need to quickly appoint a caretaker in the form of Hughton/Calderwood or Wise.

By Nick Metcalfe

If this is true, than I wish all the best for Joe and his family. Have to feel for someone and their family having to go through that. And again if this is true - the man needs to leave management, better his health and spend time with his family.  There is not one good reason for him to be working in football with this sort of health.

On the Newcastle side, if this is true - he has to go, Ashley/Llambas need to quickly appoint a caretaker in the form of Hughton/Calderwood or Wise.

This completely, get well soon Joe.

I'd like to think we could offer him some kind of involvement if he gets a bit fitter, I wouldnt rule a return out just yet though, he doesnt seem like the type to let go easily.

If it is that he will be stepping down we should without a doubt be trying to up Pompeys offer for Sven, like Hiddink could do the role until the end of the season at least.

Guest guinness_fiend

By Nick Metcalfe

Christ, if this is true I wish him all the best.

He has nothing but the best interests of the club at heart, no matter how flawed his tactics are, and has shown a lot more backbone in his few shorts months at the club than a lot of our so-called loyal players have over the last few seasons.  It is just a shame that he is not the sort of manager that we need in the long term.

By Nick Metcalfe

get well soon, joey!  But tbh i hope this means you will take care of your self and not us! leave the job asap.....you are not our long term manager....Ashley should move for our new manager!