Next Year's Budget - 8 million ??

afar

Is this really enough to begin to turn the squad around ?

"However, Llambias has vowed that United will spend again in the summer and with several players set to be out of contract in the summer, the MD believes the wage bill will be freed up to allow Newcastle to sign players who fit into the new structure.

He added: “There is £8m there and it will be spent in the summer.

“Mike isn’t afraid to spend money out of his own pocket.

“Last year we lost £34m, this year we’ll lose £20m, and next year it will be around £7m."

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/02/10/five-year-plan-in-glory-quest-72703-22893622/2/

8 million net spend would be ok, i would hope that money from players sold will on top of that. I'm pretty sure they will try and sell Barton, Geremi(good luck with that), and Xisco(unfortunately), that will probably give us some money.

It'd be a pretty big improvement on our net spend, to be fair. :lol:

I assume he just meant that it'll be definitely added to whatever our summer budget is going to be btw.

Of course, our summer budget could be zero or we could be trying to make a profit again for all we know.

would rather have £8mil well spent than £20mil wasted.

bear in mind the wages we will save when the likes of Viduka and Owen are waved away. think some of that will be re-invested (even if only to attract Gutierrez-type players)

I'm pretty sure he is just saying there is 8million left over from january (i.e. the profit we made) and not saying that 8m is our entire budget.  Could be wrong though.

While that would make sense, the thing that kind of puts a question mark against that is the fact that Llambias seems to know already how much they will lose next year.

But as Shak correctly points out, this is still an improvement and past windows. Although we are running low on saleable assets now.

8 million net spend would be ok, i would hope that money from players sold will on top of that. I'm pretty sure they will try and sell Barton, Geremi(good luck with that), and Xisco(unfortunately), that will probably give us some money.

Xisco will stay and beat Shearers 206 the next seasons :D

I'm pretty sure he is just saying there is 8million left over from january (i.e. the profit we made) and not saying that 8m is our entire budget.  Could be wrong though.

That's how I read it like. Given & N'Zogbia out and Nolan & Taylor in would have been around £8m profit, which explains the Johnson bid.

To me, “There is £8m there and it will be spent in the summer. Mike isn’t afraid to spend money out of his own pocket." doesn't sound like "Our budget is £8m".

Doesn't sound like he wasn't saying that, either, though. Going off his statement alone, we cannot tell, put simply.

Another reasonable interpretation of those two sentences is that the £8m referred to is perceived as being Ashley's, not the club's, and it's this money that he's 'not afraid to spend'. You know, the same way as how his loan to the club is apparently actually him taking on the debt himself.

When I initially read the interview I thought that he meant £8m to spend in the summer, but after re-reading it I am pretty sure he means there's £8m there right now to spend.

Lets just hope what ever budget we have is spent well. I think we will survive this season so pre-season is a very important time. No fucking around, make sure targets are identified and sounded out (within the laws of the game of course) early in the summer so that they have a full pre-season. That way if some injuries do come up and some areas of the squad are identified as being short we can look at loan players towards the end of the window. Obviously the last paragraphy is a very hopeful view on things. No doubt I will be moaning on August 31st on the 1 or two quality players that we have brought in.

I gotta say, okay, we're not signing Owens anymore, but we're spending wisely.

Bassong, Gutierrez, Taylor, Lovenkrands?

We actually made a profit out of them off N'Zogbia alone.

This is good transfer activity. 

We're getting good players in for cheap.  Them not grinding out results is not a reflection of their quality, but the management on the day.  Look at who Robson had standing at the Nou Camp.  These players are better than that.

Guest SellSholaFor1M

The Premier League or Fizzy Pop Premier League will be collectively shitting themselves at the thought of us and our spending power  :blush:

Guest Howaythetoon

We would probably buy Buffon for £600m, and buy Alan Smith a £200m house and a contract extension to 2020

Killed it.

So is it a minimum of £8 million or a maximum of £8 million... more brilliant clarity from the club to get fans guessing and arguing amongst one another.

Hope is does get defined before the next window opens.

I think it already has. Everybody knows we have £8m from this window, as was outlined. Anything else we have to spend will more than likely be kept secret and that's exactly how it should be.

I think it already has. Everybody knows we have £8m from this window, as was outlined. Anything else we have to spend will more than likely be kept secret and that's exactly how it should be.

Well reading this thread there seems to be some uncertainty about it all

Well reading this thread there seems to be some uncertainty about it all

I know, but personally, I think he's said all he needs to. He's told the fans that the £8m made from this window will be reinvested in the summer. That's good enough for me. I don't want it to be made public if we have any extra funds made available on top of that £8m.

Everything they say in regards to money spendage is BULLSHIT!

Funny how they can blame former management (obv. they can, but still) by getting "bad" players and they ended up paying, what, £6 mill for Xisco - who have started what, 1 match?

YEAH; HE*S GONNA BE THE NEXT SHEARER MAN, JUST WAIT N SEE! *lawl*

Guest neesy111

Personally I think the Ashley investing quote is a load of bollox, but IF my theory is proven wrong, then I would be guessing that this 8m would go on top of 5m (out of MA pocket) and the clubs income from transfers.

ashley's investment is keeping the club alive by paying off the losses the club is making, that is evident from the finance's published

Guest sicko2ndbest

The 8 million was in reference to the outgoing wages we will save

I think it was meant as a 'we will have more room to manouveur with the extra finance availible' type statement as opposed to it being our overall total budget