Another New Contract Offered To Owen

Skirge

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/02/11/we-ll-offer-owen-new-deal-72703-22904203/

Michael Owen set to be offered new Toon deal

Feb 11 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

NEWCASTLE United are set to draw up a new contract offer for skipper Michael Owen.

The original contract offer that United made was withdrawn on January 1 but Newcastle are set to go again in a bid to retain their No 10.

The out-of-favour England international is currently out injured with an ankle problem but plans to return to action for United at the start of next month.

The former Liverpool and Real Madrid star has been linked with moves away from Tyneside continuously in the past three seasons but, unlike Shay Given and Charles N’Zogbia, chose not to jump ship in January despite the turmoil in Toon.

And while Owen has yet to commit his future to Newcastle beyond the end of the season, with Aston Villa, Everton and Manchester City all keen on his services, United owner Mike Ashley will make plans to keep Owen at St James’s Park.

Managing director Derek Llambias said “We offered Michael a new contract and he has chosen to walk away and think about his future.

“It’s not on the table any more after January 1. But we’ll be sitting down with him again soon and seeing what he wants to do.

“It’s difficult – he’s a goalscorer who has 10 already this season in the games he’s played.

“It’s down to Michael.

“He’s done his term here, and it was lucrative, but he’s decided he wants to wait until the end of the season.

“So it’s a case of watch this space.”

Yet United will also be busy looking into extending the current deals of other stars, with fresh deals for Habib Beye, Oba Martins and Damien Duff in the pipeline.

United recently extended deals for several senior players to bolster their squad and Llambias seems keen not to allow deals to run down to the last minute like Owen.

He added: “We’ve done new contracts for Harper, Shola and Nicky Butt.

“We’re doing three more as well. We’re constantly on the move with those, we’re renewing contracts and we’re reviewing our team all of the time.”

However, the futures of Mark Vidka and Brazilian defender Claudio Cacapa remain in doubt with no indication that their deals which run out in the summer will be renewed.

I can only assume Owen will be offered inferior terms this time round. I don't believe the bit about Duff either unless it's on about half the wages he is getting now. Which would still be too much IMO.

Don't want Owen at the club anymore. The only way I'd be happy for him to sign a contract is if it meant that we'd get some sort of fee for him in the summer. It's time to move on.

Good to see planned new deals for Oba and Habib. Duff? not so sure. I'd only offer him something substantially lower than his current, or something performance based.

Don't want Owen at the club anymore. The only way I'd be happy for him to sign a contract is if it meant that we'd get some sort of fee for him in the summer. It's time to move on.

Good to see planned new deals for Oba and Habib. Duff? not so sure. I'd only offer him something substantially lower than his current, or something performance based.

:thup:

Can you imagine a performance based contract for Duff?  He'd probably end up earning £10 a week.

:thup:

Can you imagine a performance based contract for Duff?  He'd probably end up earning £10 a week.

Tbh he hasn't been that bad of late. He's actually contributing more than usual, and is getting some of his old tricks back. I hope he can stay fit for the rest of the campaign, and I'll stick my neck out for him and say that we may get to see an improving Duff who just might be back to 60% of his previous best (rovers/chelsea)

Doesn't surprise me. Not after I read that the club definitely have offered a 2 and a half year contract to Kinnear: -

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/02/11/man-of-mystery-or-an-open-book-61634-22901496/

It started with an apology for failing to communicate properly, a promise to improve public relations as part of a new approach to running the club, and it ended with an explanation as to why they had offered Joe Kinnear a two-and-a-half year contract when he was supposed to have only been a temporary appointment.

As good as Owen is/was at putting the ball in the back of the net he doesn't do much else. He certainly isn't worth £100K a week wages. He's a luxury we can't afford. He also still picks up regular injuries. I'd rather play Martins over Owen.

I don't think Owen will stay anyway whatever the club offer him.

Think it might be worth keeping Owen just for how much his name value improve's the club's worth as a brand. That's probably why the management team is willing to shell out the $$$ on him as well despite being utter tight-arses otherwise.

I mean, even my girlfriend knows who Michael Owen is, that's got to count for something.

Wonder if and how it will different to the one we offered in January, circumstances have got worse not better since then. Seems like a bit of a token gesture to me especially with respect to Owens past comments about waiting until the end of the season.

and as for offering Duff a new contract...fucking ludicrous, no matter what the plan is/was/ever will be. The only reason i can think of them doing this is offering him a longer deal on lower salary and then try to flog him.