Newcastle the 17th Richest Club by turnover not equal profit. Huge difference.

Kaizero

You'd not think it seeing our net spend this Jan.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_4914899,00.html

Real Madrid remained at the head of football's richest list beating Manchester United to top spot.

Accounting firm Deloitte produce an annual list of turnover in football and Madrid are again on top of the pile, although the strength of the Euro against Sterling is the main reason they stayed ahead of European champions United.

The list sees seven Premier League clubs included, whilst Scottish giants Celtic drop out of top 20 along with Valencia and Werder Bremen.

"If the exchange rate value of the pound had not depreciated, there would have been nine, rather than seven English clubs in the top 20 and Manchester United would have topped the Money League ahead of Real Madrid," said Dan Jones, partner in the Sports business group at Deloitte.

Real saw their revenues rise by four per cent to £328million, whilst United saw their turnover up 21 per cent to £291million.

The list, which was completely made up of European clubs, with England leading the way with their seven. Germany and Italy have four each, whilst there are just two from Spain and France.

Turkey's Fenerbahce also make the top 20 for the first time.

List in full

1. Real Madrid, Spain, €365.8 million

2. Manchester United, England, €324.8 million.

3. Barcelona, Spain, €308.8 million.

4. Bayern Munich, Germany, €295.3 million.

5. Chelsea, England, €268.9 million.

6. Arsenal, England, €264.4 million.

7. Liverpool, England, €210.9 million.

8. AC Milan, Italy, €209.5 million.

9. AS Roma, Italy, €175.4 million.

10. Inter Milan, Italy, €172.9 million.

11. Juventus, Italy, €167.5 million.

12. Lyon, France, €155.7 million.

13. Schalke, Germany, €148.4 million.

14. Tottenham, England, €145 million.

15. Hamburg, Germany, 127.9 million.

16. Marseille, France, €126.8 million.

17. Newcastle, England, €125.6 million.

18. Stuttgart, Germany, €111.5 million.

19. Fenerbahce, Turkey, €111.3 million.

20. Manchester City, England, €104 million.

...but look how far we have slipped behind Liverpool and clubs like Schalke or Lyon.

I am sure Lyon don't get the crowds NUFC do, OR the SKY money, so why is the turnover relatively low..?

Mostly, I suspect,due to our loss of popularity outside the NE...and even within it !

Guest neesy111

...but look how far we have slipped behind Liverpool and clubs like Schalke or Lyon.

I am sure Lyon don't get the crowds NUFC do, OR the SKY money, so why is the turnover relatively low..?

Mostly, I suspect,due to our loss of popularity outside the NE...and even within it !

lyon are about the size of man utd in france in term's of support a huge club, + they are usually a selling club at times as well despite winning 6 straight league titles

Only a few years ago, the situation in this country was that we were part of a very comfortable 'Big Five' financially, with our turnover way ahead of the distant sixth club, which was usually Tottenham.  It was a permament situation, for many years.

Fifth (well ahead) in this country and between 9th and 11th in the world, I think it was.

It is a pity that we have slipped almost as far financially and been overtaken by as many clubs financially, as we have on the playing field.

It is going to be a long way back on both (linked) fronts.

I hope Ashley is up to it (I am 'assuming' he WANTS to do it, from what Llambias has said this week)

lyon are about the size of man utd in france in term's of support a huge club, + they are usually a selling club at times as well despite winning 6 straight league titles

Olympic Lyon av attendance last season - 36,058...well below ours, let alone Man U..

Marseilles is the biggest at 53,000 - just above our capacity.......

Surely Lyon being in the champions league every season for the most of the last decade is a massive factor in their income.

It is the main reason they dominate French football. The CL has killed most domestic leagues as the non-CL clubs have to go some to break the monopoly.

Guest neesy111

Olympic Lyon av attendance last season - 36,058...well below ours, let alone Man U..

i said support, not attendance's

Lyon's in theory will go right up as they're moving to new stadium soonish

Nothing to do with either the rise in popularity in Schalke and Lyon or the current exchange rate then?

These figures are the highest our income has ever been, the reason Spurs have moved above us is they can command more money for matchday tickets, have the extra match revenue from Uefa cup games and are sat on a massive £8.5 million per year sponsorship deal with Mansion while we have no sponsorship coming in as we took ours up front back around 2005.

..And the difference financially IS..? I cannot see Lyon being massively popular in other parts of France or Europe ; as has been said, it is their CL income which is the difference and this is one in the eye for all those myopic NUFC fans who claim that 'success doesn't matter'...getting into the CL is VITAL in the modern game and a club the size of NUFC should ALWAYS be challenging for it - however, under the former or present regime........

Guest Howaythetoon

The turnover at the club is quite excellent given it hasn't been topped up by massive sponsorship, Champions League revenue or UEFA Cup revenue, and indeed by thousands of extra "fans" by winning things. If NUFC were successful, we'd make the top 10 rich list easily and in terms of finances the potential is as big as the potential of the club itself.

The turnover at the club is quite excellent given it hasn't been topped up by massive sponsorship, Champions League revenue or UEFA Cup revenue, and indeed by thousands of extra "fans" by winning things. If NUFC were successful, we'd make the top 10 rich list easily and in terms of finances the potential is as big as the potential of the club itself.

Very true, if this club can get back into the Champions League we would be worth a small fortune.

all those myopic NUFC fans who claim that 'success doesn't matter'

Where are they all hiding, then? :lol:

The trouble is that they DON'T..you have undoubtedly seen comments by people on this site claiming that they are not bothered which division we are in, they will still turn up to 'support the Lads..'  !!