Travelling

Disco

Since I've saved up enough money to do it and won't settle doing anything until i get it out of my system. Me and wor lass plan to go travelling May this year for a few months.

Wondering if anyone has any done this before or has any tips on what to do/not to do in the places I'm going or generally.

Be Flying with Oneworld (BA,JAL,Cathay,Quantas & LAN)

Route is: UK - Japan, Hong Kong, Thailand down to Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, Peru, Chile, Argentina, Brazil - UK.

Argentina is a great place, didn't rate Brazil too much though there's a place about 4 hours South of Rio called Paratchi which is a really good place to chill, otherwise there's also a good island off Salvador called Maurro Sao Paulo which is a cool place too!

Personally if it was me I'd cut out some of the countries and include India if you can. I can never quite figure why a lot of people do these round the world trips and miss out India, though it is a place you either love or hate!

Guest timmy boy

How safe is South America? I was thinking about doing 3 months out there by myself but the only thing that slightly puts me off is the crime rate.

I have been around South East Asia, Vietnam is amazing, Ha Long Bay is truly remarkable.Trekking in Thailand was good as was the Full Moon party.

How safe is South America? I was thinking about doing 3 months out there by myself but the only thing that slightly puts me off is the crime rate.

I have been around South East Asia, Vietnam is amazing, Ha Long Bay is truly remarkable.Trekking in Thailand was good as was the Full Moon party.

I never had any trouble in Peru or Bolivia, never felt threatened even though we were in Sucre during the all out strike when the roads were blocked and the place was totally cut off. Was happy to wander around La Paz in the middle of the night following this local lad looking for the notorious "club where they sell coke over the bar" and found it! I did meet people who got robbed in Chile though. Personally, I've felt much more threatened wandering around Manchester than I ever did there.

Guest timmy boy

I never had any trouble in Peru or Bolivia, never felt threatened even though we were in Sucre during the all out strike when the roads were blocked and the place was totally cut off. Was happy to wander around La Paz in the middle of the night following this local lad looking for the notorious "club where they sell coke over the bar" and found it! I did meet people who got robbed in Chile though. Personally, I've felt much more threatened wandering around Manchester than I ever did there.

Yeah I suppose it's like any where wrong place wrong time,what's the transport links like, is it old clapped out buses to get around, is there  a big backpack scene out there?

Yeah I suppose it's like any where wrong place wrong time,what's the transport links like, is it old clapped out buses to get around, is there  a big backpack scene out there?

Re transport; there's everything from clapped out old buses (definitely worth the experience at least once or twice), to internal flights (not cheap), although there's not much of a rail system. You can get really good quality buses for next to nothing and lower quality buses for even less, the main thing that'll affect the comfort of the journey will be the road, there's a few good roads (the north-south Pan-American Highway for example), but some of them you'll be literally bouncing up and down out of your seat the whole way. My favourite journey of our whole trip was the like that though, so it's not necessarily a bad thing.

There's a huge traveller scene down there and you can get really nice hostels for not much money.

Since I've saved up enough money to do it and won't settle doing anything until i get it out of my system. Me and wor lass plan to go travelling May this year for a few months.

Wondering if anyone has any done this before or has any tips on what to do/not to do in the places I'm going or generally.

Route is: UK - Japan, Hong Kong, Thailand down to Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, Peru, Chile, Argentina, Brazil - UK.

Oneworld FYI...

Celebrating TEN years - TEN percent off TEN airlines for TEN weeks

On February 3, British Airways, American Airlines, Cathay Pacific Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, LAN Airlines, Malév, Qantas and Royal Jordanian celebrated the tenth anniversary of oneworld. In honor of that celebration, oneworld is offering a ten week sale, with ten percent off the oneworld explorer and circle trip fares. Details of the offer are available at oneworld.com. Together, oneworld serves almost 700 airports in nearly 150 countries, with some 8,500 daily departures and carries 330 million passengers a year. Later this year, oneworld welcomes Mexicana to the fold - so next year perhaps we'll celebrate 11% off!

Oneworld FYI...

On February 3, British Airways, American Airlines, Cathay Pacific Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, LAN Airlines, Malév, Qantas and Royal Jordanian celebrated the tenth anniversary of oneworld. In honor of that celebration, oneworld is offering a ten week sale, with ten percent off the oneworld explorer and circle trip fares. Details of the offer are available at oneworld.com. Together, oneworld serves almost 700 airports in nearly 150 countries, with some 8,500 daily departures and carries 330 million passengers a year. Later this year, oneworld welcomes Mexicana to the fold - so next year perhaps we'll celebrate 11% off!

Brilliant stuff!! Perfect timing.

Argentina is a great place, didn't rate Brazil too much though there's a place about 4 hours South of Rio called Paratchi which is a really good place to chill, otherwise there's also a good island off Salvador called Maurro Sao Paulo which is a cool place too!

Personally if it was me I'd cut out some of the countries and include India if you can. I can never quite figure why a lot of people do these round the world trips and miss out India, though it is a place you either love or hate!

Think our plan in Brazil is to go from Iguazu to Florianopolis kick back there for a bit before heading up to Rio. Not sure whether to call in on Sao Paulo on the way as it seems more like a working city but probably will as its not everyday you're in Brazil.

Did any of you guys get to any football matches when you were over there. Really want to try and get to a game in Buenos Aires & Rio, preferably La Bombonera and Maracana.

Thailand is class, while you are in South East Asia you might as well try a couple of days in cambodia too, apparently Laos and Vietnam are worth a look aswell.

Ditto peoples comments about Peru, will be a great choice.

Guest firetotheworks

Ive heard that if you want what you expect Thailand to be like its best to go to Cambodia and Loas. Apparently in Thailand its quite hard to find somewhere that isnt touristy. Just going off what my friends who've been have said.

Im off to Sounth America in November for anytime between 3 & 6 months.  Starting in Brazil.  Only got a one way ticket, so have no constraints on where I can go really.  Hoping to do the majority of the "main" countries before heading upto places such as Panama and Nicuagrua.  Can't wait now, really excited.

So, Tim, if you fancy a travel buddygive me a pm  O0

Oneworld FYI...

Think our plan in Brazil is to go from Iguazu to Florianopolis kick back there for a bit before heading up to Rio. Not sure whether to call in on Sao Paulo on the way as it seems more like a working city but probably will as its not everyday you're in Brazil.

Did any of you guys get to any football matches when you were over there. Really want to try and get to a game in Buenos Aires & Rio, preferably La Bombonera and Maracana.

Hi Disco Des, I'm not normally a person who says you should definaitely go some where as each to their own but believe me go to Paratchi. Have a look at this site (the place is called Paraty on there!) http://www.paraty.tur.br/indexen.php The town is a world heritage site as the tide comes in a washes the streets. Seriously it beats  Florianopolis hands down!

Good plan to go to the Iguarzu falls as they are brilliant but if you have a choice stay on the Argentinian side as it much better!

For the person who mentioned crime, I found Rio the worst place I've ever been, I got robbed which is fair enough as it can happen anywhere but I knew 4 other travellers who also got robbed when I was there!

Pardon the spelling as I've had a few!

As you`re heading to S.E Asia I would definitely recommend Angkor Wat in Cambodia.......amazing place (google it) and well worth going and easy to get to from Thailand. Don`t see what is so great about Singapore though. I suppose it`s ok for a few days at the most but it`s boring if you go any longer. Cambodia (Angkok Wat, Phnom Penh, Killing Fields), Vietnam (Mekong Delta, Saigon etc) would be much more worthwhile to see IMO.

PS: get yourself a frequent flyer card and rack up the miles if you haven`t done so already

As you`re heading to S.E Asia I would definitely recommend Angkor Wat in Cambodia.......amazing place (google it) and well worth going and easy to get to from Thailand. Don`t see what is so great about Singapore though. I suppose it`s ok for a few days at the most but it`s boring if you go any longer. Cambodia (Angkok Wat, Phnom Penh, Killing Fields), Vietnam (Mekong Delta, Saigon etc) would be much more worthwhile to see IMO.

PS: get yourself a frequent flyer card and rack up the miles if you haven`t done so already

We're just flying out of Singapore pretty much. Don't expect to be there for more than 2days. Might even sack it off and just fly out of Kuala Lumpur.

Angkor Wat does look amazing,  if we flew out of KL rather than Singapore would give us more time in Thailand etc so could go there too as it is only a day away.

Oneworld FYI...

Hi Disco Des, I'm not normally a person who says you should definaitely go some where as each to their own but believe me go to Paratchi. Have a look at this site (the place is called Paraty on there!) http://www.paraty.tur.br/indexen.php The town is a world heritage site as the tide comes in a washes the streets. Seriously it beats  Florianopolis hands down!

Good plan to go to the Iguarzu falls as they are brilliant but if you have a choice stay on the Argentinian side as it much better!

For the person who mentioned crime, I found Rio the worst place I've ever been, I got robbed which is fair enough as it can happen anywhere but I knew 4 other travellers who also got robbed when I was there!

Pardon the spelling as I've had a few!

Looks nice Macphisto. Going to F'polis regardless as it is a shorter journey from Iguazu than going staight up to S.Paolo & Rio and gives us some beach time - beaches look amazing there and it'll be a gentle introduction to Brazil before going further up the coast.

For Iguazu we'll be travelling up from Buenos Aires and then out into Brazil so get to see both sides. Might pop into Paraguay n all - just to get the p/port stamped.

Did you go to Sao Paolo at all? I haven't read up on it too much but i can't imagine there is that much there for the discerning tourist.

Guest timmy boy

I liked Cambodia, it is a 3rd world country in the most of it, with a lot of poverty but there's some good things to see.Ankor Wat was beautiful , I got up for the sunrise and saw the sunset, couldn't do more than one day though, some people get like 3 day or 1 week passes. Phnom Penh the capital is a bit of a dump, I went to a shooting range and you can shoot AK47s, Bazookas and all sorts of different guns.I also went to the Killing Fields and the S21 museum where a lot of the atrocities of the Pol Pot reign took place, worth a  visit but very depressing. I stayed in Sihanoukville in Cambodia for about a week, it has nice beaches although there are a lot of beggers and people trying to rob stuff you leave on the beach. The roads are a nightmare to get around on, the bus from Ankor to Bangkok was the worst journey of my life.

• 2 weeks later...

Booked it now: itinerary is:

Tokyo overland to Osaka fly to

Hanoi overland to Singapore (via Ho Chi,Cambodia,Bangkok,Perenthian Islands,Kuala Lumpur) fly to

Brisbane overland Melbourne fly to

Queenstown overland Auckland fly to

Lima overland to Buenos Aires fly to

El Calafate overland to Rio De Janeiro and fly home

Can't fucking wait.

Guest float one in

Sounds great mate! How much money are you planning to spend on the whole thing, if you don't mind me asking? I definitely want to do something similar (although I'd be satisfied just going to South America I think), but will probably have to save up for a couple of years cos I'm skint at the minute...

Sounds great mate! How much money are you planning to spend on the whole thing, if you don't mind me asking? I definitely want to do something similar (although I'd be satisfied just going to South America I think), but will probably have to save up for a couple of years cos I'm skint at the minute...

Got told to estimate by a mate who went away to est. £1k a month inc. the original outlay on costs which will be between £2k-£2.5k. I'm two and a half years out of uni to give you some perspective and i'll be staying in hostels. We're spending most time in SE Asia and S.America to keep costs low too.

We're going with oneworld as they're the only ones who do RTW inc. South America but if you were just planning to go to South America you'd be better just buying rtn flights with BA, Iberia, Aerolineas etc. Alternatively if you went RTW on the general Aus-Fiji-LA route you can do it for £700ish i think.

Guest float one in

Got told to estimate by a mate who went away to est. £1k a month inc. the original outlay on costs which will be between £2k-£2.5k. I'm two and a half years out of uni to give you some perspective and i'll be staying in hostels. We're spending most time in SE Asia and S.America to keep costs low too.

We're going with oneworld as they're the only ones who do RTW inc. South America but if you were just planning to go to South America you'd be better just buying rtn flights with BA, Iberia, Aerolineas etc. Alternatively if you went RTW on the general Aus-Fiji-LA route you can do it for £700ish i think.

Alright thanks for the info mate  :thup:

Will be a canny while before I'll have 6 grand or so to spend on a holiday like! Its definitely worth it though. Hope you have a great time - I'm envious! I'm planning to work for a couple more years and try and be careful with money to save for it, then pack my job in and go, taking the chance I'll find another job when I get back. Hopefully the recession will be finished by then!