Mike Ashley still showing up publicly at Newcastle

TRon

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article5721208.ece

Mike Ashley was a visible presence at Newcastle United’s training ground yesterday, continuing his hands-on policy at the club in the wake of Joe Kinnear’s serious health problems....While the club’s thoughts are focused on Kinnear’s full recovery, Newcastle remain entrenched in a relegation battle and Ashley’s appearance at the club’s training complex in Benton was designed to reassure players and staff. It also represents a show of the renewed commitment the sportswear manufacturer spoke after his decision to withdraw the club from the market...

It was before that match, at Newcastle’s team hotel, that Kinnear complained of high blood pressure and was taken to the Good Hope hospital in Sutton Coldfield for tests. “It was a huge shock,” Steve Harper, Newcastle’s goalkeeper, said. “It wasn’t a nice thing to hear but, if anything, it pulled the closer lads together.

“There were a few people in the dressing-room saying, ‘Come on, he’s stepped in at the club at a difficult time, so let’s just give it that little bit extra for him.’ We already knew it was a massive game against West Brom, but it gave us another incentive to go out and win it.

“We don’t know what’s going to happen in the future, but I spoke to Joe at the start of the week and he was in really good spirits, if a bit fed up, wanting to know what was going on, how the mood was and how the lads were doing. That’s typical of him. He just wanted to be back out on the training pitch.”

Hughton and Calderwood are popular figures, however. “Colin has come in and settled very quickly,” Harper said. “With Chris and Paul Barron, the goalkeeping coach, already here, the club have got some good people and excellent coaches. We’re all confident that they can look after things for as long as necessary.”

Good to see that Ashley is sticking to his word and trying to shore up morale at the club. I also think that getting unhappy players out of the door and enthusiastic footballers like Lovenkrands in will lift the squad. It will be tough but I think we will be ok this season.

Hopefully he's getting over the shock of the Keegan situation and getting back to actually running the club.

I doubt he will employ another interim manager now, it will be Hughton until Kinnear returns.

From what I've been reading it sounds more like Calderwood's in charge tbh,  all of the interviews on .co.uk are with him

And remember when Shay Given said...

Joe's come in and given us belief that we can go out there and get results,  he says it how it is and I think the players respect him for that.  You don't know what's round the corner, whether managers want to keep you or sell you, but it's nice. I've been here 11-and-a-half years now so I'd like to make a few more appearances.  It's a great club and a fantastic place to play football and I'm delighted to have made so many appearances.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/make+the+right+noises

O0

And remember when Shay Given said...

Joe's come in and given us belief that we can go out there and get results,  he says it how it is and I think the players respect him for that.  You don't know what's round the corner, whether managers want to keep you or sell you, but it's nice. I've been here 11-and-a-half years now so I'd like to make a few more appearances.  It's a great club and a fantastic place to play football and I'm delighted to have made so many appearances.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/make+the+right+noises

O0

Shays therefore a liar and as bad as the board then ?

Whatever you think of Ashley - and I think it's clear like quite a few chairmen he doesn't know much about football at this level - it's far better for us to see him at the ground at matches and maintaining a presence at the club.

Hopefully he's getting over the shock of the Keegan situation and getting back to actually running the club.

I doubt he will employ another interim manager now, it will be Hughton until Kinnear returns.

From what I've been reading it sounds more like Calderwood's in charge tbh,  all of the interviews on .co.uk are with him

Well, either way, they should make a competent team for the moment.

Can only be a positive thing in terms of reassuring players and coaching staff, although action is needed to convince.

Strikes me as he hasn't been able to put enough money into the squad during the window (for whatever reason) and he's doing his utmost to support the staff in gestures like this. He needs to keep it up, and the odd interview to let everyone know his plans or hopes wouldn't go amiss either.

Can only be a positive thing in terms of reassuring players and coaching staff, although action is needed to convince.

Strikes me as he hasn't been able to put enough money into the squad during the window (for whatever reason) and he's doing his utmost to support the staff in gestures like this. He needs to keep it up, and the odd interview to let everyone know his plans or hopes wouldn't go amiss either.

Shame that he couldn't do these things sooner.

and a decent managerial appointment..

Good point. Nice to see and gives me some optimism for the future but this is the sort of thing a "football daft" bloke like Ashley should have been doing since day one. Ultimately, the decision to be a hands-off owner and trust others with running the club has been a bit of a stinker.

and a decent managerial appointment..

Very true. All the financial housekeeping in the world won't excuse rank bad decision making. Getting the next appointment right is pivotal for Ashley to regain some trust.

Guest The Libertine

if he did it would be spun into it being a publicity stunt.

if he did it would be spun into it being a publicity stunt.

Likewise if Fred had popped up at the training ground it would of been classed as interfering by some.