Martins new contract on hold due to Kinnears illness

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest sicko2ndbest

http://www.goal.com/en/news/89/africa/2009/02/13/1107888/kinnear-illness-delays-new-obafemi-martins-newcastle-deal

Kinnear Illness Delays New Obafemi Martins Newcastle Deal

Discussions on a new Newcastle United deal for Obafemi Martins have been placed on hold as a result of the illness of manager Joe Kinnear.

Nigeria international Obafemi Martins has yet to open talks with Newcastle over a new deal with Newcastle United because of the heart problems affecting manager Joe Kinnear, according to the player's adviser.

"We were scheduled to meet with Kinnear on a new deal for Martins this week, before the manager suddenly took ill. And as such everything is now on hold," said Dapo Kujore, who acts as an adviser to the Nigeria striker.

"We will now have to wait and pray for the quick recovery of the manager."

Martins has a contract with the English Premier League outfit till 2011, and Kujore said the player is open to sitting down with the club to extend his stay at Saint James' Park.

"He's happy at the club, but at the same time, things could be better," said Kujore, who has insisted that Martins will also be open to talks with other interested clubs.

"What he wants to do now is to listen to Newcastle and see whether his ambition matches that of the club. If that be the case, he will be happy to stay on."

In the meantime, Kujore has promised that a can of worms will be opened in court after an England-based agent, Chris Nathaniel, dragged Martins to court over unpaid commission.

"What I can tell you is that, a lot of dirty things will come out in court. He does not have a case," Kujore told Goal.com.

Another highly overpaid prima donna we could well do without. I particularly enjoyed reading the "come and get me" plea he made to Champions' League clubs here:

"He's happy at the club, but at the same time, things could be better," said Kujore, who has insisted that Martins will also be open to talks with other interested clubs.

"What he wants to do now is to listen to Newcastle and see whether his ambition matches that of the club. If that be the case, he will be happy to stay on."

Martins...get your coat. :coat:

I would take what his agent says with a bucket of salt TBH. He probably just means they had a meeting scheduled which obviously can't happen now.

I'd like to the think the club would get Oba signed up ASAP regardless of the Kinnear situation.

Edit: Oh, and he's contracted til 2011 anyway, so he's not in immediate danger of getting away is he?

Another highly overpaid prima donna we could well do without. I particularly enjoyed reading the "come and get me" plea he made to Champions' League clubs here:

Yep.  Owen and Martins cost far too much and offer far too little.  There's nothing wrong with a front line of Ameobi and Xisco with Carroll and.....erm......Duff, yes, that'll do, Duff on the bench.

:harry:

I would take what his agent says with a bucket of salt TBH. He probably just means they had a meeting scheduled which obviously can't happen now.

I'd like to the think the club would get Oba signed up ASAP regardless of the Kinnear situation.

Oh, and he's contracted til 2011 anyway, so he's not in immediate danger of getting away is he?

I'd disagree. Get him signed up, aye, if he's going to get his head down and work hard and be an asset to the team. But if he's got ideas above his station then no, I genuinely wouldnt re-sign him. Not at any price. Would rather get him sold and get us a couple of cloggers like Nugent or Ashton, tbh.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Ridiculous tbh

Martins is one of our true champions league level players. He still has all of his tools, good age etc

Yep.  Owen and Martins cost far too much and offer far too little.  There's nothing wrong with a front line of Ameobi and Xisco with Carroll and.....erm......Duff, yes, that'll do, Duff on the bench.

:harry:

In fairness, Xisco's not really had a chance to settle yet - who knows whether he'll turn out to be any good for us or not? Ameobi, aye, fair enough, agree with you on that. I just don't think spending £100K a week on a player like Owen can be justified anymore. Of course, you need firepower, and Oba/Owen provide us with that, but why be so blinkered to the possibilities that exist beyond a world of Owen/Oba upfront?

Ridiculous tbh

Martins is one of our true champions league level players. He still has all of his tools, good age etc

Not much point having a Lamborghini stuck in the garage when what you actually need and can actually afford is more like an Mazda RX8 though, really...if you'll pardon the excruciatingly shit analogy.

if we offer Oba the right deal, I think he will sign on. He loves it here, you can tell, he cares about the club, you can see it on the field, and with Owen most likely on the out, he has to see himself as the main striker of the club.

We give him a good deal and explain to him the supposed "5 year plan" that Llambas was refering to and hopefully that will tie it up.  Oba is an honest lad too from everything we've heard, I think he cares more about this club than people think.

Guest firetotheworks

Oh, and he's contracted til 2011 anyway, so he's not in immediate danger of getting away is he?

I'd disagree. Get him signed up, aye, if he's going to get his head down and work hard and be an asset to the team. But if he's got ideas above his station then no, I genuinely wouldnt re-sign him. Not at any price. Would rather get him sold and get us a couple of cloggers like Nugent or Ashton, tbh.

Why would you rather that? Because you're insane?

Why would you rather that? Because you're insane?

:lol:

To be fair, players are employees at the end of the day, they need to be managed and kept happy but they're also entitled to argue for a better deal for themselves.

To make things worse, they also employ agents who are generally shit-stirring pond life.

Ridiculous tbh

Not much point having a Lamborghini stuck in the garage when what you actually need and can actually afford is more like an Mazda RX8 though, really...if you'll pardon the excruciatingly shit analogy.

Rubbish man... he's one of our best players and i'd take him every single time over some of the cloggers who just happen to bleed black and white.

That's his agent btw - he gets a nice cheque if he manages to sell his client... he isn't necassarily speaking for Martins.

And fwiw i think it's a bit of a joke the contract talks have been put on hold for this reason. All the best to him, obviously, but there's no way Kinnear should have anything to do with it.

Princples are just peachy, but we're fucking shit at the game of football. If we want to win, we need to keep our best players. If we got rid, we would have absolutely no chance of signing in someone with the quality of Oba.

And I don't even think Oba is that good, I just think we're that bad.

On top of being one of our best players, Oba also seems to have exactly the attitude we need. He never causes trouble, seems to enjoy being here and puts his all in on the pitch.

Agree entirely... what you on about, GM? ???

Guest timmy boy

If I was in his position I would be exactly the same. Since he's been here we have had various different managers and been on a downward spiral. He could do a lot better than us and we are lucky to have him. I will be chuffed if he stays on. Since his injury we have only won 1 game and that was against bottom of the league.

Guest firetotheworks

Every day somehting else happens that shocks me to the core with this club, what the fk has it got to do with JK?

Lambias, Oba and Oba's agent are all that should matter in contract talks.

Maybe whether JFK stays or goes is in line with the club matching Obas ambition or not. Makes sense. Appointing JFK is just about the least ambitious thing anyone could do.

Every day somehting else happens that shocks me to the core with this club, what the fk has it got to do with JK?

Maybe whether JFK stays or goes is in line with the club matching Obas ambition or not. Makes sense. Appointing JFK is just about the least ambitious thing anyone could do.

Appointing Chris Hughton or Bryan Robson would probably top it.

Guest firetotheworks

Appointing Chris Hughton or Bryan Robson would probably top it.

I said, least ambitious not self destructive.

to the core skirge, to the core.