Viduka on his way

Dave

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/newcastle/4642542/Mark-Viduka-nearing-Newcastle-United-exit.html

Mark Viduka nearing Newcastle United exit

Newcastle United striker Mark Viduka's days at St James' Park are looking numbered, it emerged on Monday night.

The Australian's £80,000-per-week contract expires this summer but it is understood the powers-that-be at the Tyneside club currently have no intention of extending his stay in the North-East The club's directors are planning to discuss new contracts with three Newcastle players but they do not intend to sit down with Viduka, 33, and his representatives as they try to slash a £73-million wage bill.

When Viduka joined Newcastle on a free transfer from Middlesbrough in July 2007 he signed a two-year deal with a one-year option available to both parties at the end of the initial period.

However, that relied on Viduka making a set amount of appearances and this term he has managed just five appearances this term due to an ankle injury.

The former Leeds and Celtic striker could have the chance to persuade his paymasters to have a change of heart and is in contention for a place in the Newcastle side that will play Everton on Sunday.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1147285/Viduka-set-Aussie-return-injury-ravaged-season-Sta-James-Park.html?ITO=1490

Viduka set for Aussie return after injury ravaged season at St James' Park

Mark Viduka looks certain to return to Australia to play for the Melbourne Knights at the end of the season after Newcastle told him to forget a new contract.

The striker has only played five games this season due to injury.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2009/02/17/mark-viduka-to-go-in-newcastle-money-saving-shake-up-115875-21130338/

Mark Viduka to go in Newcastle money-saving shake-up

Mark Viduka will be one victim of Newcastle's bid to cut their £73million wage bill this summer.

The Australia striker is out of contract at the end of the season and United are highly unlikely to take up an option of an extra 12 months on his £3m-a-year deal.

That will leave Viduka having to find a new club to fulfil his dream of ending his career at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

What a waste.

Just as important as anyone in keeping us up last season mind.

Agreed. It's just a pity as he's so obviously talented yet I think everyone could tell he would miss a load of games with injury and cost a ton of money.

Guest The Libertine

Just as important as anyone in keeping us up last season mind.

and possibly this season.

80k a week for very little is almost as bad a waste (financially) as owen's time here.

I remember being so discouraged by this signing at the time. Just lacked imagination.

At the time we signed Viduka, Blackburn were signing Santa Cruz.

This desperation for prem experienced players goes too far. British managers in particular, have to begin to do a better job of identifying good players who can adapt to the prem and stop going for lesser players and even damaged goods just because they are prem experienced.

Pathetic waste of money and time on the whole. As alreday mentioned though, at least he helped keep us up last season.

Guest nufc1892

its sad that he never really got that form from his last boro season.

when fit and having good fitness he was great player,smart one who can controll and hold the ball.

remember the game against tottenham and his pass to duff.great

if that was ameobi i doubt that he would have done the same thing

if that was ameobi he would tried to turn and shoot endind the ball in throw in.

nevertheless i think 80 000K is alot of money and because of his injuries and his age its time for him to go.

i hope the next ones are duff&smith&casapa

but i doubt that  :kinnear: will release the first two.i dont comment on casapa because he is already gone.

:kinnear: thinks that these 2 are actually good players  :kasper:

Massive player when on top form. Shown us what he can do once or twice in two years. He can fuck right off imo

:iamatwat:

Hardly surprising, we should see some good football from him now though, he usually plays well when looking for a new deal, doesn't he?