United to combat season ticket fears

ToonTastic

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/02/17/united-to-combat-season-ticket-fears-61634-22942981/

Thought this might interest certain people who are thinking of not renewing for whatever reason next season.

NEWCASTLE United are set to respond to the threat of a major drop in season ticket holders next season with a number of initiatives designed to persuade disgruntled supporters to renew.

The United hierarchy are so concerned by the prospect of falling attendances at St James’s Park that they will write to every season ticket holder to urge them to stick with the club, despite another disappointing campaign.

Although owner Mike Ashley has stabilised the club’s debt with his own money over the last 20 months, his business plan hinges to a large extent on the presumption that the Magpies will continue to have around 40,000 season ticket holders each year.

That figure, though, is under significant threat, as a large number of supporters weigh up whether to renew their tickets when there are so many misgivings about Ashley’s regime, and a deepening recession to worry about.

A number of Newcastle supporters who signed up for last year’s fixed-price, three-year season ticket scheme have contacted The Journal to ask about whether they can cancel their direct debit payments and escape from the contract.

The club are keen to prevent that from happening, and will look to reassure those who believe the club is no longer heading in the right direction with a personal letter from managing director Derek Llambias outlining Ashley’s vision for the future – and pleading with them not to desert the club in such troubled times.

peaking to The Journal in an exclusive interview last week, Llambias responded to questions regarding the threat of stay-away fans by claiming the revenue generated will always go straight back into the club.

And he added: “Stay with us. Be strong, this is an incredible club and we need you to be behind us. We’re putting our money up front and we need you to support us.

“You can’t have it overnight, stay with your team.

“You’ve seen uglier football, stick with the team. We will get there.”

Whether that plea will be enough to persuade suspicious supporters – still annoyed by a lack of transfer expenditure – not to abandon their season tickets remains to be seen, although it will not be the only measure the club takes to tempt wavering fans.

With the credit crunch squeezing ever harder in everyday life, the club also

realise they need to offer financial incentives and The Journal has been told prices will be slashed in order to attract people back to the stadium next season.

Sunderland and Portsmouth have already announced price cuts for season tickets next season as long as they are renewed before the end of March, and Newcastle are believed to be preparing a similar sort of package.

Black Cats fans will save at least £30 on the price of a season ticket if they renew before the April 3 deadline, with children paying just £1 a game if they sign up to the deal with a full paying adult.

The details of Newcastle’s special offers are expected to be released later this week.

Meanwhile, Newcastle transfer target Stéphane M’Bia has rejected reports he has already agreed a deal to move to Newcastle in the summer.

The Magpies had a bid of £8m rejected for the Cameroon international last month, but have retained an interest in the highly-rated Rennes midfielder.

Llambias has already revealed that Newcastle intend to bid again for all of their January transfer targets.

But M’Bia insists that he will continue to keep his options open until the end of the season.

He said: “I have not agreed anything. I made myself clear that I wanted to join a club last season, but Rennes did not let me so I am still here.

“I need to finish the season strongly and we will see in the summer.”

wow, i'm shocked...2 years of criminal decline and they're surprised people might not stump up hard earned cash to watch it get worse

this mob are something else they really are....fully expect shite to be released in may, if we stay up, about new signings that don't materialise in a desperate attempt to get more money

wankers

I've an idea!

How about we protest by attending reserve and academy games en masse? Does that not send out a message to the club that we're not satisfied with the current level of first team football?

In one way we'd still be supporting the club financially, while it would be easier on our pockets, while making a statement of discontent at the same time!

Can you imagine 30k people showing up at a reserve game???? Would knock the directors on the head big time imo, and the sarcasm will not be lost on them.

I have signed up for the direct debit and do not intend to cancel, maybe I am stupid but, I just support Newcastle........  Anyway that wasn't my point!

The direct debits were supposed to start on 10th Feb and to date they haven't taken any money!  Wonder if I am going to get a further discount and they are waiting to work out the details???  Hopes in vain!

The direct debits were supposed to start on 10th Feb and to date they haven't taken any money!  Wonder if I am going to get a further discount and they are waiting to work out the details???  Hopes in vain!

They have not taken your money & not imformed you of why? What jokers.

I've an idea!

How about we protest by attending reserve and academy games en masse? Does that not send out a message to the club that we're not satisfied with the current level of first team football?

In one way we'd still be supporting the club financially, while it would be easier on our pockets, while making a statement of discontent at the same time!

Can you imagine 30k people showing up at a reserve game???? Would knock the directors on the head big time imo, and the sarcasm will not be lost on them.

They wont have the facilities to cope with big attendences at res games etc

I've an idea!

Don't some games take place at SJP?

I know the club depend on ST sales to go towards transfers, but it always fucked me off when I had my ST that they'd ask you to commit weeks after the season had ended, when you had no fucking clue where the club was heading.  At 15/16 years old, £460 was a hell of a lot of money (and in fairness still is!) and more often than not, you'd stump up, only to see us fail dismally in the transfer market, and sack our manager 5 games in.

If they could somehow work out a deadline around late July/1st August or so, I think more would be likely to commit.

I've an idea!

Don't some games take place at SJP?

Aye but some are down to they have to play a certain number of games at a clubs main stadium & SJP has under soil heating.

The amount of staff on duty are not there to cover a huge crowd.

I know the club depend on ST sales to go towards transfers, but it always f***ed me off when I had my ST that they'd ask you to commit weeks after the season had ended, when you had no f***ing clue where the club was heading.  At 15/16 years old, £460 was a hell of a lot of money (and in fairness still is!) and more often than not, you'd stump up, only to see us fail dismally in the transfer market, and sack our manager 5 games in.

If they could somehow work out a deadline around late July/1st August or so, I think more would be likely to commit.

Buy your tickets game by game then, there will be plenty of seats next season.

I've an idea!

funnily enough this will be exactly what i'll be doing next season if joe kinnear's our manager. regarding the OP, 'you've seen uglier football' just makes me want to smack him in the mouth. its hardly the point.

I know the club depend on ST sales to go towards transfers, but it always f***ed me off when I had my ST that they'd ask you to commit weeks after the season had ended, when you had no f***ing clue where the club was heading.  At 15/16 years old, £460 was a hell of a lot of money (and in fairness still is!) and more often than not, you'd stump up, only to see us fail dismally in the transfer market, and sack our manager 5 games in.

Buy your tickets game by game then, there will be plenty of seats next season.

its what I have been/and will continue to do.  Until I can afford a ST again, anyway.

I've seen uglier sisters at the Theatre Royal Pantomine, doesnt mean this year's pantomine ugly sisters are any more acceptable.

Indeed. Seems a particularly odd plea to be making to the fans. Bit like Del Boy in the street market, hawking some dodgy Russian mobile phones the size of bricks and shouting that "they work perfectly well, so long as you don't need to make a phone call".

Mental. :no:

I've seen uglier sisters at the Theatre Royal Pantomine, doesnt mean this year's pantomine ugly sisters are any more acceptable.

Yep. Same as the current board fucking things up doesn't excuse the mess the old lot made in the end. :shifty:

Yep. Same as the current board fucking things up doesn't excuse the mess the old lot made in the end. :shifty:

It's like an oncologist consultant roaming the wards saying, "we've seen worse forms of cancer," - doesn't really help all that much.