United to combat season ticket fears

ToonTastic

Despite all his big spending, the squad is arguably better now than it was under Shepherd's last couple of years. How did that happen?

Keegan was in charge for a short spell.

I thought Keegan left precisely because he wasn't?

You think he had no input whatsoever.

Question for Happy Face.

Do you think Gordon Brown did a good job when he was in charge of the economy?

Spend, Spend, Spend, Borrow, Spend, Borrow, Spend, Borrow, Spend (etc etc).

Now the shit has hit the fan due a lack of foundation to the spending and we have to take a hit in terms of spending for a while. Its not pretty but we will come out of the other end in a better long term position than we went into it.

Ring any bells closer to St James Park?

Question for Happy Face.

Now the shit has hit the fan due a lack of foundation to the spending and we have to take a hit in terms of spending for a while. Its not pretty but we will come out of the other end in a better long term position than we went into it.

No, I don't think Brown did a good job.

I don't think Shepherd did either.

Nor do I think frugality is the way to save the economy.

We need to spend our way out of it.

Remember last year when they were saying the same things?

When they invited all the box holders and grovelled to them to renew with the promise of big signings and entertaining football?

:lol:

At least we had Keegan then ffs.

When are the mugs on this board going to wake up?

I'm trying to find a post in this thread which connects to yours.

EDIT - you mean the NUFC board?

It was a response to the original post.

I mean the people on this forum who still think we need to relax and give Ashley time to fix the problems at the club.

So my first point stands then.

Absolutley.  You'll get no disagreement from me that Ashley and Shepherd are as ugly as each other.

f*** that for a box of pennies, I'd nosh down on Ashley's cock WAY before Freddy's.

Why is that?  Serious question.

Is the politics/finances of the club more important to you than what happens on the field.

Freddy and John might have fattened the golden goose to feed themselves, but Mike is just letting the Goose waste away.

At least we as fans got something from the previous regime.

Are you saying you'd prefer bottom half mediocrity, balanced books and an owner who only takes back what he puts in over European football, debts comparable with other clubs and an owner creaming off some of the profits?

Cutting off your nose to spite your face if you ask me.

... I just think Ashley probably washes better. The last thing you want is muck under the hood.

(Slash... I think Freddy managed us horribly irresponsibly and had we continued on under his control, we would have become Leeds 2 in a matter of years. So while the politics/finance aren't directly more important to me, they will inevitably affect the results on the field. As s*** as we are now, we're not languishing in League One with Leeds and there is little chance of that happening in reality).

Our February 17th (today) points total is currently lower than it was at any point under the chairmanship of Freddy Shepherd, so I don't see how you can say he had us closer to Championship football than Ashley does.

It's far more realistic now than it has been previously.

The rate of our downfall under the previous board was alarming, and we were headed down at a great speed. The only positive thing Ashley has done is to soften the drop and we will hope that he will bring that drop to a grinding halt. Just.

Then we can start to build again.

Though we were in the UEFA cup in Shepherds last season at the club.

Another meaningless stat in the context of the actual reality of the situation.

another denial of a fact because it suits

When they invited all the box holders and grovelled to them to renew with the promise of big signings and entertaining football?

I mean the people on this forum who still think we need to relax and give Ashley time to fix the problems at the club.

Absolutley.  You'll get no disagreement from me that Ashley and Shepherd are as ugly as each other.

f*** that for a box of pennies, I'd nosh down on Ashley's cock WAY before Freddy's.

Is the politics/finances of the club more important to you than what happens on the field.

Freddy and John might have fattened the golden goose to feed themselves, but Mike is just letting the Goose waste away.

Are you saying you'd prefer bottom half mediocrity, balanced books and an owner who only takes back what he puts in over European football, debts comparable with other clubs and an owner creaming off some of the profits?

... I just think Ashley probably washes better. The last thing you want is muck under the hood.

(Slash... I think Freddy managed us horribly irresponsibly and had we continued on under his control, we would have become Leeds 2 in a matter of years. So while the politics/finance aren't directly more important to me, they will inevitably affect the results on the field. As s*** as we are now, we're not languishing in League One with Leeds and there is little chance of that happening in reality).

Our February 17th (today) points total is currently lower than it was at any point under the chairmanship of Freddy Shepherd, so I don't see how you can say he had us closer to Championship football than Ashley does.

The rate of our downfall under the previous board was alarming, and we were headed down at a great speed. The only positive thing Ashley has done is to soften the drop and we will hope that he will bring that drop to a grinding halt. Just.

:laugh:

I'll be amazed if Ashley gets us into europe at any point.

The thing about Shepherd was, he was a twat for hiring some shite managers.  For sacking some good ones.  For doing it at the wrong times.  For taking millions out of the club in dividends and for spouting some shit in the press and on tape....but even with all that, there were only 2 seasons in 10 that Newcastle didn't get into Europe.

He didn't accept mediocrity.

I've been trying to tell them this for about 3 years........good luck.

Fuck that for a box of pennies, I'd nosh down on Ashley's cock WAY before Freddy's.

(Slash... I think Freddy managed us horribly irresponsibly and had we continued on under his control, we would have become Leeds 2 in a matter of years. So while the politics/finance aren't directly more important to me, they will inevitably affect the results on the field. As shit as we are now, we're not languishing in League One with Leeds and there is little chance of that happening in reality).

rubbish, and you have it the wrong way round. Its results on the field that bring in revenue.

Oh hurray! NE5's here. Another topic well and truly derailed!

how is that derailing the thread ? You're obsessed. You need to go to the pub or something.

;D

The thing about Shepherd was, he was a twat for hiring some shite managers.  For sacking some good ones.  For doing it at the wrong times.  For taking millions out of the club in dividends and for spouting some shit in the press and on tape....but even with all that, there were only 2 seasons in 10 that Newcastle didn't get into Europe.

I've been trying to tell them this for about 3 years........good luck.

:doh:

We're all too aware of it.

Guest toonlass

Fuck that for a box of pennies, I'd nosh down on Ashley's cock WAY before Freddy's.

(Slash... I think Freddy managed us horribly irresponsibly and had we continued on under his control, we would have become Leeds 2 in a matter of years. So while the politics/finance aren't directly more important to me, they will inevitably affect the results on the field. As shit as we are now, we're not languishing in League One with Leeds and there is little chance of that happening in reality).

rubbish, and you have it the wrong way round. Its results on the field that bring in revenue.

how is that derailing the thread ? You're obsessed. You need to go to the pub or something.

;D

Would rather not to be honest. Sitting in pubs at any time other than a match day seems rather sad to me, especially if its a regular thing.

;D

Would rather not to be honest. Sitting in pubs at any time other than a match day seems rather sad to me, especially if its a regular thing.

well, at the risk of derailing the thread, I hope you enjoy Coronation Street or whatever shite you watch on the TV

Guest toonlass

;D

well, at the risk of derailing the thread, I hope you enjoy Coronation Street or whatever shite you watch on the TV

Wrong again old man. Don't watch any of the soaps. They're crap. Infact I don't watch much telly at all. Its all mindnumbing dross.

;D

Wrong again old man . Don't watch any of the soaps. They're crap. Infact I don't watch much telly at all. Its all mindnumbing dross.

oh dear.

The thing about Shepherd was, he was a t*** for hiring some s**** managers.  For sacking some good ones.  For doing it at the wrong times.  For taking millions out of the club in dividends and for spouting some s*** in the press and on tape....but even with all that, there were only 2 seasons in 10 that Newcastle didn't get into Europe.

I take it that you class the Inter-Toto as playing in Europe, are you now going to claim that we've won a trophy on that same basis?

Guest toonlass

;D

Wrong again old man . Don't watch any of the soaps. They're crap. Infact I don't watch much telly at all. Its all mindnumbing dross.

oh dear.

You got a problem with the truth like? You seem to have no problems calling other people silly names. What's the problem with me pointing out that you are nearly pension age?

Question for Happy Face.

Now you see fundamnetally I agree that in both the economy and for the Toon that spending is needed for the long term good of both.

However my view (again on both points) is that money should be directed at rebuilding infrastructure, be that roads, schools, hospitals, communications or the academy, buying younger players with room to develop and training facilities.

Of course some money needs to be spent on the here and now, money in the pocket of the man on the street (interest rate cuts, VAT cuts (wrong move but its happened so I can include it..), or investment in the first team. If you can balance out the cost of improving the here and now with proceeds from clearing out the dross then its all good.

I've said it before, but with the exception of Given we've replaced every player who has left the club with one of better quality or of a similar standard but at lower cost. That. Is. Good. Business. It could even be argued that we didn't need to replace Given directly anyway.

The summer is pivotal, we're running out of dross with any sort of resale value and desperately need to improve the centre of midfield and in all likelyhood replace Owen. A Left Back would be nice to push Enrique on, unless one of the reserve players is ready to step up to provide this.

Question for Happy Face.

Now you see fundamnetally I agree that in both the economy and for the Toon that spending is needed for the long term good of both.

However my view (again on both points) is that money should be directed at rebuilding infrastructure, be that roads, schools, hospitals, communications or the academy, buying younger players with room to develop and training facilities.

Of course some money needs to be spent on the here and now, money in the pocket of the man on the street (interest rate cuts, VAT cuts (wrong move but its happened so I can include it..), or investment in the first team. If you can balance out the cost of improving the here and now with proceeds from clearing out the dross then its all good.

I've said it before, but with the exception of Given we've replaced every player who has left the club with one of better quality or of a similar standard but at lower cost. That. Is. Good. Business. It could even be argued that we didn't need to replace Given directly anyway.

The summer is pivotal, we're running out of dross with any sort of resale value and desperately need to improve the centre of midfield and in all likelyhood replace Owen. A Left Back would be nice to push Enrique on, unless one of the reserve players is ready to step up to provide this.

That's because Keegan bought the good players even though he wasn't allowed to buy players so he was forced to leave because Dennis Wise wouldn't let him buy them...or something.

Question for Happy Face.

That's because Keegan bought the good players even though he wasn't allowed to buy players so he was forced to leave because Dennis Wise wouldn't let him buy them...or something.

My head starts spinning trying to work that one through!

With all this good business it must be a shock to some people to see us where we are. That absolute irony of this if we use the last 2 windows & look at the players who moved to other PL clubs the player quite a few people reckon we are missing the most is the only chap playing for a club in lower league position than us.

With all this good business it must be a shock to some people to see us where we are. That absolute irony of this if we use the last 2 windows & look at the players who moved to other PL clubs the player quite a few people reckon we are missing the most is the only chap playing for a club in lower league position than us.

I'm not going to claim we are as good as we'd like to be, but if Keegan hadn't left and we'd had better luck with injuries we'd be a lot higher than we are IMO. The injuries alone would be hard for most teams to deal with, that and the upheaval when Hughton was put in charge definitely cost us a few points.