United to combat season ticket fears

ToonTastic

Newcastle consider season ticket price cut - Newcastle United's top brass are planning to cut the cost of season tickets in a bid to stop the club haemorrhaging supporters - Rob Stewart, The Telegraph

Club owner Mike Ashley has decided he must reduce season ticket prices in a bid to attract a growing army of stay-away fans with average attendances set to dip below the 50,000 mark.

Details of Newcastle's special offers and financial measures are expected to be announced this week when the club hierarchy will send out begging letters to season ticket holders.

They will be urging supporters not to turn their backs on the St James' Park which was brought to its knees amid angry fan protests last September when Kevin Keegan quit as manager.

Club officials are worried fans will decide against renewing their season tickets and will step up their charm offensive with personalised letters urging supporters to remain loyal despite their downturn in fortunes.

Newcastle managing director Derek Llambias, who runs the troubled club on behalf of Ashley, will write the letter urging fans not to desert as well as summarising the sports retail tycoon's plans for the future.

In a rare message to supporters, Llambias last week hinted at the tone of the letter that is on its way to supporter.

"Stay with us," he said. "Be strong, this is an incredible club and we need you to be behind us. We're putting our money up front and we need you to support us.

"You can't have it overnight, stay with your team. You've seen uglier football, stick with the team. We will get there." Ashley's business plan banks on the club attracting around 40,000 season ticket holders so widespread disenchantment could have worrying ramifications for a club that is now struggling to attract top players to the North-East.

Newcastle have been on the slide since Ashley bought the club in July 2007 but many supporters renewed their financial commitment when the iconic Keegan was in charge of first-team affairs.

Many supporters who signed up for a fixed-price, three-year season ticket last year are now weighing up the cost of cancelling their direct debit payments to wriggle out of the deal

I know this is nothing to do with the original thread, but I can't see how anyone can argue with selling Milner for £12m. Classic case of a player seeming better now he plays for another club.

It was a brilliant deal IMO, and it's stupid to say the money was never spent - it all goes onto the balance sheet at the end of the day.

I don't think the Villa fans would complain about parting with the 12m either...OR MON..!

It was NOT a brilliant deal for NUFC because the money was not properly re-invested in the side..having said that, MON is getting far more out of Milner than NUFC ever did, simply because he is a better manager than NUFC have had(with the POSSIBLE exception of KK, but MON has won things as a manager and KK has not - promotions excepted).

I think £12m in £50 notes would put a better cross in than Milner for us though. Worth a try at least.

I know this is nothing to do with the original thread, but I can't see how anyone can argue with selling Milner for £12m. Classic case of a player seeming better now he plays for another club.

It was a brilliant deal IMO, and it's stupid to say the money was never spent - it all goes onto the balance sheet at the end of the day.

sums up the lop sided view of too many people.

hows that ?

Guest The Libertine

hows that ?

did you have to?

I don't have a defence for all of us lop sided people, all I can say is that (like it or not) a football club is a business.

Just as money coming in from merchandise doesn't have to be spent on making new merchandise (i.e. it could be spent on staff/players/stadium), money brought in from player sales doesn't automatically have to go straight back on players.

I don't have a defence for all of us lop sided people, all I can say is that (like it or not) a football club is a business.

Just as money coming in from merchandise doesn't have to be spent on making new merchandise (i.e. it could be spent on staff/players/stadium), money brought in from player sales doesn't automatically have to go straight back on players.

You'd have thought it would be when there's no cover whatsoever in several positions though, no?

You'd have thought it would be when there's no cover whatsoever in several positions though, no?

Well possibly, and I see what you mean, but it would all still need to be done within the wider context of the club's financial situation.

Only one club in the PL without debt: Hull.

Do we want to be like Hull?

don't think anyones says we have to be totally debt free, in some cases it is better to borrow than use your own funds but having debt levels as they were while running at a loss.....well,something had to change as it was only heading one way. on top of that i'm not sure had fred stayed if we'd have been able to get more credit.

MA wants to be debt free asap and pay for transfers in advance. Whaaaaat??!!

he wants to be debt free for the savings not paying the interest will make. paying up front just means you are more likely to live within your means.

he wants to be debt free for the savings not paying the interest will make. paying up front just means you are more likely to live within your means.

It's ok if your buying kids at 100k or whatever, but 8-10m players...? Where's the sense in paying upfront?

He wants to be debt free cause HE STILL WANTS TO SELL THE CLUB. NO OTHER REASON.

He wants to be debt free cause HE STILL WANTS TO SELL THE CLUB. NO OTHER REASON.

well there's a newsflash.

and in the meantime being debt free lowers the running costs.

Being debt free means being unable to compete.

Being debt free means being unable to compete.

as does failing on your gamble to get success by borrowing.

you're not very good at this WUMming are you ?