Pivotal Moments...

beardsleymagic

....in the Toons recent history.

What do you think?

Obviously Keegan coming in and saving us from relegation to the old second division, but i had more the Premiership years in mind.

The two that spring to mind first are.... Bobby Robson turning us down after Keegan left. I honestly think that with a bit of tinkering Robson could have turned Keegan's team into champions.  :( If only.

And Fat Fred's decision to appoint one of the worst managers in my living memory in the shape of Souness. Single handedly took apart a team that was on the up and with a few additions could have been a regular Champions league team.

What do you think?

Aaron Hughes clearing the crossbar in the Champions League Qualifier (not to mention Shearer, Dyer and Woodgate all missing if I'm not mistaken)

Dyer limping off in Lisbon.

Bridges missing the one-on-one late on at home to Marseille first leg of the semi final.

....in the Toons recent history.

What do you think?

Obviously Keegan coming in and saving us from relegation to the old second division, but i had more the Premiership years in mind.

The two that spring to mind first are.... Bobby Robson turning us down after Keegan left. I honestly think that with a bit of tinkering Robson could have turned Keegan's team into champions.  :( If only.

And Fat Fred's decision to appoint one of the worst managers in my living memory in the shape of Souness. Single handedly took apart a team that was on the up and with a few additions could have been a regular Champions league team.

What do you think?

Agree about Robson, but he wanted Barca to pay him off, he must have known that Van Gaal was going to get his job...

As for other pivotal moments, I give you Cantona scoring at SJP in March 96 - had we won that game(after missing at load of chances)we would have won the Prem and been a totally different club, instead of what we are now, a club that a Wigan fan thinks is not worthy of Steve Bruce because he is destined. quote, for

' far greater things than Newcastle United'...this from a fan of a club that were playing Darlo and Hartlepool not many moons ago...

Guest firetotheworks

In my lifetime the dismantling of Keegans team by Dalglish.

Ginola and Ferdinands out for Hamilton and Rush......:shudder:. It makes me sick just thinking about it.

In recent years the sacking of SBR, but more so the appointment of Souness.

The failure to build on Sir Bob's 3rd place finish.

The big mistake was not to replace Shearer at the correct time. He should have been a squad player rather than a first team regular in the last two seasons, and if he didn't like it, he should have been allowed to leave. In avoiding that decision - for which I think Shepherd was largely to blame - we sowed the seeds of Sir Bob's departure and the decline of the last four seasons. We turned an upward momentum into a downward momentum.

The 4-3 loss or that game against Man Utd when we battered them and lost 1-0. I think the Liverpool loss may have been more of a pivotal result because had we won or drawn I really think there would have been that bit more self belief. It hurts thinking about those two games.

The lack of signings under Bobby when we only got Bowyer was criminal as well. We could have really made a world-class team then, but I guess we had already overspent on flops.

This.

Summer of 2003 iirc, we were right on the cusp of becoming a bonafide 'big four' team challenging for everything, one more step would have done it but then that entire summer we signed nobody except Lee Bowyer.

:kinnear:

This was the exact point that the current decline began, and it makes me sick.

Guest The Libertine

man city 3-0 - chop souey.

Pivotal how though? Seen us change from a relegation threatened and woefully managed shambles into an...err...

it was pivotal that he went as he was probably the worst manager (all things considered) we've had in decades. truly the NE5 of managers.

the replacement (again) was the fuck up, not the sacking.

The lack of signings under Bobby when we only got Bowyer was criminal as well. We could have really made a world-class team then, but I guess we had already overspent on flops.

This.

Summer of 2003 iirc, we were right on the cusp of becoming a bonafide 'big four' team challenging for everything, one more step would have done it but then that entire summer we signed nobody except Lee Bowyer.

:kinnear:

This was the exact point that the current decline began, and it makes me sick.

:sadnod: Totally agree