Ex Toon player Alan Suddick in critical condition

Guest michaelfoster

Guest michaelfoster

From .com

It's reported that former Magpie Alan Suddick is in a critical condition, having been admitted to the Manchester Royal Infirmary in recent days after his condition worsened.

64 year-old Suddick was diagnosed with bone marrow cancer in 2008 but had been in remission following chemotherapy treatment.

Alan was part of our 1962 FA Youth Cup winning side, netting 43 times in 152 games between 1961 & 66.

Moving on to Blackpool, he became a great favourite of Tangerines fans and settled in the North West, regularly attending matches at Bloomfield Road until recently.

----------------------

Anyone here old enough to rememebr him? (NE5?)

Best of luck Alan.

He was a "boy star" but didn't really improve in the way eh could have done.

Best memory is a game against Bury [our only home defeat when we won the 2nd division title] when he walked up behind the Bury wall when they lined up for a free kick, and pulled a defenders shorts down, who stood around for about 30 seconds until he realised what had happened.

Best of luck Alan.

Best memory is a game against Bury [our only home defeat when we won the 2nd division title] when he walked up behind the Bury wall when they lined up for a free kick, and pulled a defenders shorts down, who stood around for about 30 seconds until he realised what had happened.

Just been on the phone to my dad about him. Telling me about the "If Suddick's off to Blackpool so are we" chant, moved at a similar time to Green didn't he?

Best of luck Alan.

Just been on the phone to my dad about him. Telling me about the "If Suddick's off to Blackpool so are we" chant, moved at a similar time to Green didn't he?

no mate, he moved to Blackpool in 1966 or 1967. Tony Green signed for Newcastle in 1971, with Keith Dyson and cash going to Blackpool.

Best of luck Alan.

no mate, he moved to Blackpool in 1966 or 1967. Tony Green signed for Newcastle in 1971, with Keith Dyson and cash going to Blackpool.

Thanks for clearing that up. O0 :coat:

EDIT: Shit, totally inappropriate. All the best Alan. 

Best of luck Alan.

Cheers, figured my dad was wrong as he admits he pretty much missed Green at Newcastle, yet was there for the fairs cup.... old bloke syndrome tbh ;)

Seemed to thing Suddick was a real fans favourite despite not being the best player. Sad news anyway, 64 is no age really.

Best of luck Alan.

Cheers, figured my dad was wrong as he admits he pretty much missed Green at Newcastle, yet was there for the fairs cup.... old bloke syndrome tbh ;)

Seemed to thing Suddick was a real fans favourite despite not being the best player. Sad news anyway, 64 is no age really.

he was the flair player, when we got promoted. In some ways, he was the player that adjusted to the higher standard the best after we were promoted, but Joe Harvey bought Wyn Davies and Pop Robson became his partner and the team was geared to capitalise on Wyn and was setup around him. The team improved when those 2 got together and Jim Scott then Jackie Sinclair were added, those 4 were the attacking players in the team that went on to win the Fairs Cup.

One of my dad's favourite toon players from the early-mid 60's. Hope he manages to make a full recovery. :thup:

Suddick was a really talented lad but a bit lazy/in-and-out ; on his day, a world beater, but he was a bit like Stan Bowles at QPR ; never cracked it with a big club..

He was a local lad(Chester-Le-St, I believe), and Joe Harvey had to sacrifice him in 1966 because the club was in danger of relegation and needed all-round strengthening. We got Big John McNamee, Dave Elliott and one other player with the money, and they tightened the side enough to keep us up..

Suddick returned to haunt us with Blackpool in the 70s(as so many former players have..!)when he was instrumental in helping them to knock us out of the Cup.

At 64, its sad that he is suffering this awful illness, and I wish him well.

One of my dad's favourite toon players from the early-mid 60's. Hope he manages to make a full recovery. :thup:

Suddick was a really talented lad but a bit lazy/in-and-out ; on his day, a world beater, but he was a bit like Stan Bowles at QPR ; never cracked it with a big club..

He was a local lad(Chester-Le-St, I believe), and Joe Harvey had to sacrifice him in 1966 because the club was in danger of relegation and needed all-round strengthening. We got Big John McNamee, Dave Elliott and one other player with the money, and they tightened the side enough to keep us up..

Suddick returned to haunt us with Blackpool in the 70s(as so many former players have..!)when he was instrumental in helping them to knock us out of the Cup.

Tommy Robson from Northampton, who originated from Gateshead

Guest Sniffer

We bought Tommy Robson from Chelsea and he, along with MacNamee and Dave Elliott, kept us up. The Suddick money well spent for a change.

We bought Tommy Robson from Chelsea and he, along with MacNamee and Dave Elliott, kept us up. The Suddick money well spent for a change.

he played against us for Northampton in 1965 when they finished 2nd to us, but you may be right there mate, that rings a bell, he wouldn't have been too long at Chelsea though.

edit : looks like that is the case

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Robson

http://cards.littleoak.com.au/196869_fks/newcastle_united.htm

and here is a good piece on Alan Suddick

http://www.toonarama.co.uk/players/penpics/s/suddick_alan.html