Post 2004 Shearer, or present day Owen...

Yorkie

Shearer.

He was still playing very well at that time, it was 2004-2005 where he started to decline badly. Even in his early 30's, his all-round game shat upon that of what Owen's gives you right now.

Also wasn't made of biscuits.

Guest timmy boy

Shearer in 2003/04 season scored something like 28 goals in all competitions which is far more than Owen ever has in a season for us, so definitely Shearer. Shearer's decline came in 2004/05 when he was pretty much immobile.

I kinda meant them last two seasons really, that's where i thought the debate would sorta originate. :blush: A lot of people wanted him out of the team by the end.

03/04 he was mint like... didn't score that many goals in 2004 though.

shearer, i think he offered more to the team than just goals. he could hold the ball up well, was good in the air, won a fair share of free kicks by being a menace, he was a captain who was more of a shouter too

Don't forget he was also our best defender from corners. How many near post balls did he deal with?

Shearer without a shadow of a doubt. I'd say his best seasons for us were 01/02, 02/03 and 03/04, not including his first season. His performances were top notch, he banged the goals in and he was a joy to watch.

When did people notice his performances declining? I have to say towards the end of the 03/04 season I noticed he was really struggling in some games. I remember having the conversation with my mates. Everyone said the same but we all thought he was just knackered and in need of a rest. Of course he put in some very good performances at the end of that season as well, but it was a sign of things to come because the Shearer of the following two seasons wasn't the same player. I just find it weird how he all of a sudden he went from the goal machine to the player he ended up being. It seemed to happen quite quickly really because he was banging the goals in then he just stopped.

Guest firetotheworks

Not even really a discussion is in order I feel.

Shearer. Rarely injured, still did the hold up play decently. Very immobile, but on the pitch to be effective a hell of a lot more than Owen. Relied on service just as much, but again less injury prone.

He probably started to decline because he was playing too much. Sir Bobby recognised that he shouldn't have been playing every week... Souness, and then Roeder (who didn't have a choice to be fair to him), played him every single week.

looks like youve got yourself a pretty one sided debate here yorkie!

Looks like it... i thought Shearer - thought it might have been a bit more divided though!

I'm waiting for Crumpy to come in and restore some form of balance, tbh! :razz:

Guest timmy boy

Shearer without a shadow of a doubt. I'd say his best seasons for us were 01/02, 02/03 and 03/04, not including his first season. His performances were top notch, he banged the goals in and he was a joy to watch.

When did people notice his performances declining? I have to say towards the end of the 03/04 season I noticed he was really struggling in some games. I remember having the conversation with my mates. Everyone said the same but we all thought he was just knackered and in need of a rest. Of course he put in some very good performances at the end of that season as well, but it was a sign of things to come because the Shearer of the following two seasons wasn't the same player. I just find it weird how he all of a sudden he went from the goal machine to the player he ended up being. It seemed to happen quite quickly really because he was banging the goals in then he just stopped.

The fluidity of our play went in 04/05 when Souness dismantled the team and Shearer didn't have the legs any more to get in behind and he lost Bellamy who could do a lot of his running. He still held the ball up well and  was still a good finisher, remember that rocket he scored at City away. He just didn't have the service to score a lot of goals.