Post 2004 Shearer, or present day Owen...

Yorkie

Players like Nolan & Ryan taylor previously wouldnt have been seen to be good enough to play for Newcastle. Clearly our standards have dropped

Yeah, bring back Andy O'Brien, Garry Brady, Stephen Glass and Wayne Quinn!

or Craig Bellamy, Laurent Robert, Kieron Dyer, Gary Speed, Dietmar Hamman, Jonathon Woodgate, Micheal Owen, Jermaine Jenas, Gary Speed, Duncan Ferguson, Hugo Viana, Oba Martins, Scott Parker........you've got a good handle on the club, with a good view from Berlin there.

Did you quote the wrong post there?

no.

I'm addressing the bigger picture that some people are still too blind to see

Sublime trolling, old bean. Top stuff! Made this thread a cracking good larf, what what?

Trolling ? It isn't my fault you are blind and don't know what you are talking about. Still happy with Ashley are you ?

Guest Ebolarama

Did you quote the wrong post there?

no.

I'm addressing the bigger picture that some people are still too blind to see

Sublime trolling, old bean. Top stuff! Made this thread a cracking good larf, what what?

Trolling ? It isn't my fault you are blind and don't know what you are talking about. Still happy with Ashley are you ?

Eh, what? No, I'm not happy with anything at all. I'm a Newcastle fan!

Players like Nolan & Ryan taylor previously wouldnt have been seen to be good enough to play for Newcastle. Clearly our standards have dropped

or Craig Bellamy, Laurent Robert, Kieron Dyer, Gary Speed, Dietmar Hamman, Jonathon Woodgate, Micheal Owen, Jermaine Jenas, Gary Speed, Duncan Ferguson, Hugo Viana, Oba Martins, Scott Parker........you've got a good handle on the club, with a good view from Berlin there.

My point, which was a reply to Jayson, stands. It's nonsense to maintain that Nolan or Ryan Taylor wouldn't have been good enough for us in the past, given that we signed and fielded plenty of players who were just as mediocre, or worse. I could have listed more.

Naming better signings doesn't change that fact. And I fail to see what my current geographical location has to do with it.

Guest Ebolarama

And I fail to see what my current geographical location has to do with it.

That kind of thing is pretty much on the same level as picking out errors with spelling and grammar. The spittle-flecked flailings of an attempt to stir the pot one last time in an "internet discussion".

Players like Ryan Taylor would always be good for the squad, I think that's the main problem though, due to various reasons he's actually starting for us. Don't have a problem with him though being a squad player. Very neat and tidy with a good final delivery. I don't consider Nolan better than Barton or Guthrie btw so if both of those were fit I wouldn't start him.

Guest Ebolarama

Topic: Post 2004 Shearer, or present day Owen...

Who was the more valuable asset to the squad?

[/discuss]

Ah.. yeah.. my bad. I got sidetracked.

Ahem.

Shearer, definitely.

My point, which was a reply to Jayson, stands. It's nonsense to maintain that Nolan or Ryan Taylor wouldn't have been good enough for us in the past, given that we signed and fielded plenty of players who were just as mediocre, or worse. I could have listed more.

Naming better signings doesn't change that fact. And I fail to see what my current geographical location has to do with it.

the point being - which I'm not sure you realise but nor do I care - is that you need SOME top quality players in your side, and pay the going rate for them if you want to be a top clb. The Ashley way so far is to sell our best players and replace them with cheaper. Which is nothing other than the actions of a 2nd rate selling club. Anyone who has experienced this, can see it quite clearly.

We buy an inferior player from a club like Wigan, [losing a better one who wants to leave and sign for Wigan] and you are trying to justify it ? Says everything.

Players like Ryan Taylor would always be good for the squad, I think that's the main problem though, due to various reasons he's actually starting for us. Don't have a problem with him though being a squad player. Very neat and tidy with a good final delivery. I don't consider Nolan better than Barton or Guthrie btw so if both of those were fit I wouldn't start him.

I've no problem with Nolan who is a decent player and has a lot of spirit and leadership about him, but if you fill your team with too many sub standard players at cheap prices, then you get what you have paid for, a sub standard team.

I don't think Guthrie is good enough either, but these players need better players alongside them if you want to lift the club higher.

So I agree absolutely with Jayson and your comments too tooj.

This season we've swapped.

Coloccini for Rozenhal

Bassong for Faye

R.Taylor for Ramage

Guthrie for Emre

Jonas for Milner

Nolan for Zog

In crude terms anyway, some aren't direct swaps.

Also lost Given and signed Xisco and Lovekrands, most of those are improvements, I wouldn't say we've become a selling club yet.

the point being - which I'm not sure you realise but nor do I care - is that you need SOME top quality players in your side, and pay the going rate for them if you want to be a top clb. The Ashley way so far is to sell our best players and replace them with cheaper. Which is nothing other than the actions of a 2nd rate selling club. Anyone who has experienced this, can see it quite clearly.

We buy an inferior player from a club like Wigan, [losing a better one who wants to leave and sign for Wigan] and you are trying to justify it ? Says everything.

Yes, I believe many of us have heard you make this point once or twice before. And of course everyone would like us to have the best players possible. That surely goes without saying.

My point was different. It was that it is nonsense to say that Nolan and Ryan Taylor would not have been good enough for us in the past. You seem here ("I've no problem with Nolan who is a decent player and has a lot of spirit and leadership about him") to be agreeing with me, and yet you confusingly claim to be "absolutely" agreeing with Jayson too.

Yes, I believe many of us have heard you make this point once or twice before. And of course everyone would like us to have the best players possible. That surely goes without saying.

My point was different. It was that it is nonsense to say that Nolan and Ryan Taylor would not have been good enough for us in the past. You seem here ("I've no problem with Nolan who is a decent player and has a lot of spirit and leadership about him") to be agreeing with me, and yet you confusingly claim to be "absolutely" agreeing with Jayson too.

you think we are making good signings then, of the calibre of Bellamy and Robert etc who shot us into the Champs League ?

Coloccini for Rozenhal

Bassong for Faye

R.Taylor for Ramage

Guthrie for Emre

Jonas for Milner

Nolan for Zog

Also lost Given and signed Xisco and Lovekrands, most of those are improvements, I wouldn't say we've become a selling club yet.

I would. Particularly when we are signing 2nd rate players while making profits from transfer windows in sales.

you think we are making good signings then, of the calibre of Bellamy and Robert etc who shot us into the Champs League ?

I'm sorry, but where did I say that?

Coloccini for Rozenhal

Bassong for Faye

R.Taylor for Ramage

Guthrie for Emre

Jonas for Milner

Nolan for Zog

I would. Particularly when we are signing 2nd rate players while making profits from transfer windows in sales.

Which 2nd rate players, I think all signings have been decent bar Xisco but he hasn't played.

I'm sorry, but where did I say that?

Well, I hope you aren't going to go down this road of denial again. You have insinuated earlier that players such as Nolan and [particularly] Ryan Taylor are as good as "some" we have signed in the past. So I am asking you to point out which players we have signed that make you confident enough to claim - or feel - that we will be as successful as in the past, with something in terms of results or the expectancy of results to back it up.

Either answer a straight question or opt out of it, its a sensible question, relative to the point of the thread which is about replacing players with either superior or inferior quality. If you don't or can't, then I won't bother replying and as we both know its better for the message board if its left that way. I hope you can be adult about this. Otherwise I will move on and debate with other adults.

Coloccini for Rozenhal

Bassong for Faye

R.Taylor for Ramage

Guthrie for Emre

Jonas for Milner

Nolan for Zog

Which 2nd rate players, I think all signings have been decent bar Xisco but he hasn't played.

they can't be. Otherwise we would be getting better results.

Coloccini for Rozenhal

Bassong for Faye

R.Taylor for Ramage

Guthrie for Emre

Jonas for Milner

Nolan for Zog

The players aren't the only factor.  If it was just down to how good our individual players were then we'd have won the league under Souness

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Coloccini for Rozenhal

Bassong for Faye

R.Taylor for Ramage

Guthrie for Emre

Jonas for Milner

Nolan for Zog

The players aren't the only factor.  If it was just down to how good our individual players were then we'd have won the league under Souness

We've got a 3rd rate manager at best, never mind the 2nd rate players.

You have insinuated earlier that players such as Nolan and [particularly] Ryan Taylor are as good as "some" we have signed in the past.

An undeniable fact that you have agreed with already.

So I am asking you to point out which players we have signed that make you confident enough to claim - or feel - that we will be as successful as in the past, with something in terms of results or the expectancy of results to back it up.

But I have claimed no such thing.

If you want to debate with me -- and I note that it was you who initiated this exchange -- please confine your comments to things I have actually said and refrain from trying to put words into my mouth.

Coloccini for Rozenhal

Bassong for Faye

R.Taylor for Ramage

Guthrie for Emre

Jonas for Milner

Nolan for Zog

I don't think so. I think if we stay up Kinnear will be due a lot of credit for lifting heads although I don't expect a lot of people to recognise or accept it.

In the long run, we need to move on from him now I agree with that, and not just for his own sake.

Coloccini for Rozenhal

Bassong for Faye

R.Taylor for Ramage

Guthrie for Emre

Jonas for Milner

Nolan for Zog

I don't think so. I think if we stay up Kinnear will be due a lot of credit for lifting heads although I don't expect a lot of people to recognise or accept it.

In the long run, we need to move on from him now I agree with that, and not just for his own sake.

I would applaud Kinnear for keeping us up (assuming he will) since by the time he came in there was never likely much more for him to achieve than that. Doesn't change my opinion that he's a poor manager who needs replacing mind.