Generous benefactors

womblemaster

Guest icemanblue

Are you for real? If they were giving 100k, you'd probably be on saying 'why isn't it 200k?!?!? ZOMG!!1!!!!!11'.

It's a nice gesture, leave it at that. Apparently some of our lot are gonna be there, my good lady is under strict orders to secure pictures and autographs.

Sir Bobby laughs off cancer fight.

Sir Bobby Robson and Fabio Capello at the opening of the Sir Bobby Cancer Trials Research Centre.

Sir Bobby Robson made light of his fight against cancer as he opened a new research centre into the disease.

The former England manager played down his condition at the ceremony at Newcastle's Freeman Hospital.

The 76-year-old, who was diagnosed with cancer for a fifth time last year, told guests: "I have had longer than a football league manager."

He was asked to help raise £500,000 to equip the centre at the hospital - a target he reached in just seven weeks.

County Durham-born Sir Bobby, who also managed Ipswich Town, Newcastle United, PSV Eindhoven and Barcelona in a distinguished career, was first diagnosed with cancer in 1991.

'Horrific disease'

He had not been expected to speak at opening of the Sir Bobby Cancer Trials Research Centre, a research unit which aims to develop new treatments and carry out live trials of drugs.

However, Sir Bobby made a 15-minute speech about his cancer battle in which he talked about the inspiration he has drawn from his fellow patients.

He told the audience that cancer would affect one in three people.

"It's a horrific disease. It is a disease which we must attack, with time, patience and money."

Sir Bobby then lightened the mood by looking to his former players and joking: "I said I wasn't going to make a speech, and this is like, Alan (Shearer) would say, one of my lengthy team-talks."

He also thanked England coach Fabio Capello for attending the opening, and joked: "By the way, if you want to see Newcastle, I can get you a ticket."

Sir Bobby added that the Italian's presence made this "a perfect day".

Capello, who handed over a £75,000 cheque from the FA, recalled the times when they had been on opposing sides as managers at different clubs across Europe.

"But now we are here together to fight against cancer," the England manager said.

Sir Bobby cracked jokes at the ceremony

Last year doctors discovered Sir Bobby had small cancerous nodules in his lungs.

He has battled the disease on and off for the past 15 years, undergoing surgery four times.

Peter Beardsley was also at the opening along with his former England and Newcastle colleague Alan Shearer.

Afterwards Shearer said: "He set out to raise half a million pounds and did that after seven weeks.

"They have gone on to raise £1.2m which is incredible, and he will continue working and continue generating success for the hospital."

Beardsley said of his former boss: "The man is unbelievable. He knows the right words for the right occasion.

"He makes you feel 10ft tall and when you hear him speak, you don't want him to stop.

"The man has an aura about him."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7901685.stm

Guest Heneage

Are you for real? If they were giving 100k, you'd probably be on saying 'why isn't it 200k?!?!? ZOMG!!1!!!!!11'.

It's a nice gesture, leave it at that. Apparently some of our lot are gonna be there, my good lady is under strict orders to secure pictures and autographs.

If they can spare it why not. Be nice to see some of the leagues players donate some too.

If they can spare it why not. Be nice to see some of the leagues players donate some too.

A load of tv pundits have donated iirc.

wow, cant believe how pc the numpties on here have become!

The fact is that 75k is an odd amount. Even my house is worth more than that, and i live in a crappy pittown in sunny northumb!

Its about 5% of the amount raised, and its a pure publicity stunt by the fa, although i dunno who they trying to impress!!

This is from an organisation that turns over MORE than 50m per year.  75k is a pitiful donation.  The beer tab for wembley corporate is higher for every england game!  Its an absolute peanuts donation.

This is another insult from a london based monopoly of fat pigs with their noses in the trough.

Ofcourse sir boby took it with good grace, but privately i bet he was expecting more.  HE was the best england manager of the last 30 years.

Cappello looked a bit lost on the look north report, maybe he was struggling to understand the accents )

wow, cant believe how pc the numpties on here have become!

The fact is that 75k is an odd amount. Even my house is worth more than that, and i live in a crappy pittown in sunny northumb!

Its about 5% of the amount raised, and its a pure publicity stunt by the fa, although i dunno who they trying to impress!!

This is from an organisation that turns over MORE than 50m per year.   75k is a pitiful donation.  The beer tab for wembley corporate is higher for every england game!  Its an absolute peanuts donation.

This is another insult from a london based monopoly of fat pigs with their noses in the trough.

Ofcourse sir boby took it with good grace, but privately i bet he was expecting more.  HE was the best england manager of the last 30 years.

Cappello looked a bit lost on the look north report, maybe he was struggling to understand the accents )

Its funny because you come across like the usual "PC gone mad!!!  :frantic:" numpty :lol:

What next, are you going to tell us the game has gone to shit because you can't throw bananas at the black players anymore? ;)

Its £75,000 extra for the fund, good news.