Some good points/observations made by Kevin Gallagher

James

I cant really comment on the match, as I only listened to FiveLiveExtra, but I thought that given the uninterrupted nature of the channel, some of the indepth punditry by Gallagher was excellent (lead commentator was being a twat though at times).

So here are a collections of things he noticed, and some good points he made:

Many would criticise our defence for their poor distribution during the match, but you dont get many good passing defenders in the Premiership, and the manager and coaching staff should be organising the midfield and strikers in a way that makes up for this passing inability. Parker and Butt needed to provide a short option, while the strikers and wingers should anticipate the long ball, especially when defenders find themselves under pressure. Players should be made aware in training of the approximate zone a defender will attempt to play a long ball when under pressure, and when they anticipate a long ball, they should start to run into this zone BEFORE the ball has been kicked so they can have a good chance of beating the defender to it. This will put the opposition under pressure and pin them back, giving the midfield and strikeforce more room to operate. Gallagher mentions that Bellamy was very adept at this.

Gallagher felt it was obvious that we were mentally unprepared. He felt that we were OK physically, but not mentally. He questioned what Parker, Duff, Babayaro and Carr have been doing all week, while criticising Roeder for taking the likes of Rossi - who couldnt play to the match, as his time would have been better spent learning about the forthcoming match and the opposition.

He questioned the likes of leaving Taylor and Ramage out when they had done a good defensive job against Palermo.

The only player often in the box when we were in an advanced position was Nicky Butt, and Gallagher describes him as covering everyone else bar Milner, and then questions who was covering the subsequently stranded Nicky Butt

And finally, just before Luque was brought on (score the goals, play the games says Gallagher) he noticed Lee Clark arguing with Glenn Roeder and Luque was pulled back for a minute and Ramage was told to warm up. McDermott joined this argument (having been previously issuing instructions to Luque), and Ramage was sent back to the bench and Luque was brought on. It had taken four minutes for this argument to be resolved. In my opinion, its no wonder that the players cant perform or organise themselves with the backroom at odds with each other.

Anyway, I hope I get to hear him cover more matches in the future.

The main point for me is that Gallagher pointed time and time again examples of bad management within the club.

Fact is that Roeder is a bad manager. Good coach, good caretaker, good person, but a bad manager.

Obviously Shepherd must take the blame for yet another bad appointment, but Roeder must also go.

Both Carr and Moore were knackered and slow as f*ck... a replacement of either by the energetic Ramage would have brought much much more to our game... too little too late in my book. Carr should never start again and Moore needs at least a week between games. If Roeder thought of this brilliant idea that late in the game he is an idiot. He needs to show that he has learned by bringing Taylor and Ramamge back.

I think too much is made on these boards of Roeders good end to last season. A team watching thier manager sacked nearly always play their arses off for 7/8 games before the status quo starts to return.

It is clear there just isn't enought coaching and preperation going on behind the scenes and it is also clear the Roeder is a reactive manager and not a proactive manager. Totally failed to address the team shortcomings in the summer and spent too much on one player and bought another we didn't really need.

I think too much is made on these boards of Roeders good end to last season. A team watching thier manager sacked nearly always play their arses off for 7/8 games before the status quo starts to return.

It is clear there just isn't enought coaching and preperation going on behind the scenes and it is also clear the Roeder is a reactive manager and not a proactive manager. Totally failed to address the team shortcomings in the summer and spent too much on one player and bought another we didn't really need.

I am skeptical.

According to a few sources Shepherd merely vetoed or outright objected to Roeder's targets and went out and did the Duff and Martins deals. If true however you could blame Roeder for not walking away when Fat Fred did this.

"He questioned the likes of leaving Taylor and Ramage out when they had done a good defensive job against Palermo."

Taylor the twice I've seen him on the right has been in a different class to Carr and it isn't even his natural position.

"According to a few sources Shepherd merely vetoed or outright objected to Roeder's targets and went out and did the Duff and Martins deals. If true however you could blame Roeder for not walking away when Fat Fred did this." Cali

Feck that! I blame him for even taking the job, he must have always known deep down that it was too big for him. But yes FS always meddles in transfers of course.