Darlington FC

Neil

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/features/blogs/staff/peterbarron/4152049.Sad_day_for_Quakers/

Today will be a sad day in the history of Darlington Football Club, with the Quakers almost certainly going into administration.

A special edition of the Darlington edition of the paper this morning details the news that chairman George Houghton's two and a half year reign appears to be over.

Another campaign to save the club will have to be launched and The Northern Echo is committed to playing its part.

A sponsorship deal for the naming of the stadium - agreed weeks ago - is in place as a clear demonstration of our support.

There will be those who scoff at the timing of the stadium being named The Northern Echo Darlington Arena at a time when the club is poised to go into administration.

The truth is that we had no way of knowing that this would happen when the deal was agreed.

But cancelling the arrangement in the Quakers' hour of need would have been the wrong thing to do - a cowardly way out.

We have gone ahead so that the next owners of Darlington Football Club, whoever they may be, will know that they have the local newspaper's backing.

We can only hope that a way forward can be found and that the town unites behind its football club.

:sadnod:

Oh dear hope they can sort out a survival package but imho its a slippery slope and they will be the first of many come close season and ticket renewels and no money getting filtered down to the lower divisions while the premiership gets richer the lower clubs will die.

Guest toonlass

They are doing so well in the league too. How awful that they will be penalised points wise, as well. Newcastle, Sunderland and Middlesbrough should organise friendly matches for the next couple of weeks at Darlo to try and help them out.

Will they get points deducted for this?

They'll be deducted points, but they're pretty safe in their division even if they lose points.  I think there were 3 teams that started this season in that division with negative points & they're well behind Darlo.

They'll be deducted points, but they're pretty safe in their division even if they lose points.  I think there were 3 teams that started this season in that division with negative points & they're well behind Darlo.

Aye, fair play to Rotherham and Bournemouth and even Luton. They've all made a decent go of it this season despite their negative start totals. Especially Rotherham since they aren't able to play their home games at Millmoor this season.

Guest toonlass

Aye but the bummer for them is that they are currently in a play off position. Administration and a docking of points means that they will not be promoted and all the hard work of the footballers will have been for nowt.

Well I'd say from experience that Conference is better to watch than League 2, and will breathe fresh life into the clubs that go down, making most teams better in the long run.

Not sure I agree with that, look at York City, facing the possibility of relegation to the Conference North and possibly disappearing altogether.

George Reynolds stabbed the club in the front and the back by insisting to push forward with the stadium, utter lunacy. The club's been bleeding since, patched up by glimmers of hope, i.e. fairly good league performances, playoffs last year for example. But from people I know who go to the games and follow them more than me, this isn't a huge surprise, albeit very sad. Really hope someone can help them out.

I went to the last "SAVE DARLO" game, I feel a bit sorry for the current owner as he has done a lot to try & get numbers in.

And there's some more irony for you.  When Reynolds got their new stadium built he didn't really consider the location or the impact it might have if 25,000 all turned up at once.  Unfortunately for the club, Darlington council did consider it, due to the stadium's location there's no adequate parking nearby for any great numbers of fans to use.  The council stepped in to stop any more than about 12,000 people entering the stadium.

So even if they were to go on a bizarre cup run playing against all of the Sky 4 at home they'd be prevented from selling all their tickets.

There's even been talk of knocking down a whole stand to build offices, homes & shops just so they can make better use of the stadium than just having an empty stand at every game.

I went to the last "SAVE DARLO" game, I feel a bit sorry for the current owner as he has done a lot to try & get numbers in.

And there's some more irony for you.  When Reynolds got their new stadium built he didn't really consider the location or the impact it might have if 25,000 all turned up at once.  Unfortunately for the club, Darlington council did consider it, due to the stadium's location there's no adequate parking nearby for any great numbers of fans to use.  The council stepped in to stop any more than about 12,000 people entering the stadium.

So even if they were to go on a bizarre cup run playing against all of the Sky 4 at home they'd be prevented from selling all their tickets.

There's even been talk of knocking down a whole stand to build offices, homes & shops just so they can make better use of the stadium than just having an empty stand at every game.

Average attendance is about 3,000. Sums up the utter madness of building that stadium.

Guest timmy boy

I used to go  Feethams as a kid to watch football and cricket (when Durham played there). Darlo have never been the same since it got knocked down. Went to see them once at the new ground and it was completely soulless. George Reynolds was a complete crook and has driven them into the ground, is he serving time now?

George Reynolds was a complete crook and has driven them into the ground, is he serving time now?

Not sure about now but I remember serving him down the pub a couple of years ago. He bought a lime Bacardi Breezer and paid for it in coppers. Stunk like a cunt.

I used to go  Feethams as a kid to watch football and cricket (when Durham played there). Darlo have never been the same since it got knocked down. Went to see them once at the new ground and it was completely soulless. George Reynolds was a complete crook and has driven them into the ground, is he serving time now?

Nice little old school ground with character was Feethams, went down there a few times for footy and cricket.

I don't know which is more shocking – that they're going into administration, or that the stadium is no longer called Feethams.

I hope you were being sarcastic then.

he proclaims himself to be someone offering good debate too.

bluelaugh.gif