Who are your favourite players who never quite made it...

Heron

Just watching Sky Sports News there and Antoine Sibierski was shown - he wasn't a favourite player of mine but I always thought he played a good, hard, honest game, and he seemed to be passionate even though Newcastle was not his club.

Players like Martins spring to mind, who hasn't been a total success but I still like him to play and he's probably one of my favourite players at Newcastle at the moment.

Didier Domi I used to think was good too....

Anyhoo...which players used to excite or be a favourite of yours despite not being "top notch"?

Just watching Sky Sports News there and Antoine Sibierski was shown - he wasn't a favourite player of mine but I always thought he played a good, hard, honest game, and he seemed to be passionate even though Newcastle was not his club.

Players like Martins spring to mind, who hasn't been a total success but I still like him to play and he's probably one of my favourite players at Newcastle at the moment.

Didier Domi I used to think was good too....

Anyhoo...which players used to excite or be a favourite of yours despite not being "top notch"?

Would hardly consider players such as Martins and Domi as players who didn't make it. Martins has contributed in top leagues for his whole career while Domi is a talent who has done well for himself, while admitedly failing to make an impact at 1 or 2 clubs along the way.

I would say three players come to mind for me:

Julius Aghahowa: I know exactly why he has failed, but regardless he was a true warrior for Nigeria in the earliest part of this decade. He supposedly had a lot  of "potential", but has regressed quite a bit since his move to Shakhtar.

Haruna Babangida: Fun to watch, and incredibly tiny winger who just never really made it. Definitely not to the heights of his brother Tijani. Really has just disappeared.

Gbenga Okunowo: Defender who came up through my local club (Ibadan Shooting Stars) and made his way to Barcelona. He was never really a special player, but his career spiralled downward. Injuries have destroyed his career. He's looked for jobs EVERYWHERE and failed. According to Wikipedia he is 29 and now playing in the Maldives. Just sad.

Acuna is a good shout. It still puzzles me that he didn't get more games.

Anyone remember John Gallagher?

Acuna went missing very quickly, remineded me of when  Sylvinho left Arsenal rather quick.

I am sure JG still lives in the area

Acuna is a good shout. It still puzzles me that he didn't get more games.

Anyone remember John Gallagher?

Yeah I was going to add him... also Michael O'Neil from around the same time.

Guest firetotheworks

Viana, Acuna, Tomasson, Emre, Ketsbaia, Glass, Papavasiliou (that ball through to Cole at Old Trafford...Mwah), Goma.