Who are your favourite players who never quite made it...

Heron

emre, acuna, d. ferguson, maric, viana, kluivert, cacapa (he was brilliant for lyon in a sol campbell stylee)

brian pinas .. the best name in fitba

i could never stand tomasson or andersson like

sami hyypia --- gutted we had him on trial and never signed him all those years ago

Stéphane Guivarc'h.

Always liked him when he was in France, yet he was just anonymous when he played here.

writing was on the wall when he played upfront for the team who won the World Cup and didn't looklike scoring

I actually thought Smith might be a decent signing at the time as well!

:blush:

To be perfectly honest, so did I. C'est la vie.

Real problem was that him and Geremi were effectively bought in to replace Dyer and Solano and in terms of what they could offer to the side they were always going to come up well short. Granted that Dyer had major fitness and attitude issues but we've never really replaced what he and Nobby brought to the party.   

Guest Ebolarama

Stéphane Guivarc'h.

Always liked him when he was in France, yet he was just anonymous when he played here.

writing was on the wall when he played upfront for the team who won the World Cup and didn't looklike scoring

Yeah, in hindsight his "level" was Ligue 1.

tomasson and luque for me. Tomasson was superb in pre-season until shearer got injured and who knows how luque would have turned out had he not got that injury so early on. I fear Xisco will be another

Totally agree about Tomasson - went on to prove himself a good player(and KD right to buy him)at AC Milan.

I reckon he would have been a success at SJP if Shearer had not been injured.

tomasson and luque for me. Tomasson was superb in pre-season until shearer got injured and who knows how luque would have turned out had he not got that injury so early on. I fear Xisco will be another

Totally agree about Tomasson - went on to prove himself a good player(and KD right to buy him)at AC Milan.

I reckon he would have been a success at SJP if Shearer had not been injured.

I reckon Luque would've been a succes at SJP even after his injury if the club had better managed his recovery and actually gave him a couple of games over Chopra and Ameobi.

<----- This guy :(

I remember him as a teenager playing for Melbourne Knights - he was miles ahead of anyone else in the league and really should have been Australia's greatest player of all time (it's an indictment of our minnow nation that he might still be considered so, but that's by the bye)

He was barnstorming in Australia, Croatia and Scotland, and I was itching for him to strut his stuff in a "real" league. But when he came to England it all went pear-shaped, attitude and fitness problems meant a talent that could have put him on a level with the likes of Shearer or Ibrahimovic instead became just another striker with "good technique for a big man".

Which is why all the griping about the Fat Aussie Bastard brings a tear to my eyes - because it's (somewhat) true, and makes me think of what might have been...

Guest firetotheworks

Stéphane Guivarc'h.

Wasn't he top scorer in World Cup 98 though?

Stéphane Guivarc'h.

no way mate! he didn't even get on the scoresheet!

he was top scorer in Ligue 1, or maybe in europe, that previous season.

Guest firetotheworks

Stéphane Guivarc'h.

Yknow what it is? I watched every game of WC98, why have I thought that all the time? When people used to talk about Guivarch I'd always say 'Aye, top scorer in World Cup 98 though'.....I've been living a hilarious lie. Must have heard someone say it about his Ligue 1 record afterwards and took it as gospel without even thinking back to WC98.

Stéphane Guivarc'h.

Yknow what it is? I watched every game of WC98, why have I thought that all the time? When people used to talk about Guivarch I'd always say 'Aye, top scorer in World Cup 98 though'.....I've been living a hilarious lie. Must have heard someone say it about his Ligue 1 record afterwards and took it as gospel without even thinking back to WC98.

Top scorer 2 seasons running in Ligue Un according to wiki. Was horseshit at the WC, was one of them weird ones where we'd already signed him n all so we could all tell he was going to be shite.