The Llambias/BBC interview

Dave

On transfers:

'The money's there and we intend to spend it. Are we going to be a Man City? No.

Can [Ashley] afford to do £20m per year? No. £30m per year? No. He'll be happy with the £5-10m. And it's still substantial money in this day and age.'

So being aware that I could easily have interpreted that the wrong way, we're not going to be spending more than £5-10m net per year under Ashley on transfers? Surely that assumes a very regular turnover of players (for good money) to provide the funds required to buy players who will take us up the league?

Two first choice strikers this summer for £10m - wonderful.

You've got to be careful of taking it too literally, but in circumstances like this summer where as you say we really need as least one first choice striker to partner Martins, how are we going to raise the funds required? Likewise if they want to progress up the table. We can't expect to trade up every time; it puts massive pressure on the scouting network, the negotiating team and the manager to keep things turning over.

Then again, later on Llambias insists we currently have a 'great' squad and if all fit (and presumably under Kinnear's direction) 'we're right up there'. :undecided:

Again he refers to Villa as taking their time and being stable before making an assault on the top spots, but neglects to mention they also spent a small fortune to attempt it. Despite this however he reckons their team is 'no better than us'.

5-10mil plus what the club generates from gates, sponsorship, tv deals etc. is how i interpreted it!

Yeah, Llambias said £5-10m of Ashley's own money.  So this summer will be £10m + £8m (Given, Zog) + any more sales, hopefully anyway.

I'm going to try and just ignore what comes out of the regime's proverbial mouth from now on I think. I don't trust them, but nor am I someone who wants to write off and ridicule every single statement they make.

They're just words at the end of the day. I'll make my own mind up about things when I see for myself how things are going down, and when I hear from people in the know.

Assuming Owen and Viduka leave and we peddle Geremi and Smith, that'll be between £200,000 and £300,000 a week off the wage bill to start. If we can get shot of the stupidly high earners, that might equate to a little bit more transfer money.

You've got to be careful of taking it too literally, but in circumstances like this summer where as you say we really need as least one first choice striker to partner Martins, how are we going to raise the funds required? Likewise if they want to progress up the table. We can't expect to trade up every time; it puts massive pressure on the scouting network, the negotiating team and the manager to keep things turning over.

Then again, later on Llambias insists we currently have a 'great' squad and if all fit (and presumably under Kinnear's direction) 'we're right up there'. :undecided:

Again he refers to Villa as taking their time and being stable before making an assault on the top spots, but neglects to mention they also spent a small fortune to attempt it. Despite this however he reckons their team is 'no better than us'.

I'd disagree with him and say we have a very good starting 11 plus maybe 2 or 3, but a very poor squad outside that.

Again he refers to Villa as taking their time and being stable before making an assault on the top spots, he neglects to mention they also spent a small fortune to attempt it. Despite this however he reckons their team is 'no better than us'.

Well I'm writing off the TV + other income as that will go down the "just keeping the club afloat" black hole that seemingly exists so if they do go back for Johnson etc as they said then the striker money will be even less.

I also think Martins may get restless in which case a "strike" force of Carroll, Ameobi and Xisco will make us certainties for relegation (if we stop up this year).

Is Martins leaving?

Possibly - even if he doesn't he never plays a full season.

Even if he doesn't you can't get by with two good strikers + dross.

Assuming Owen and Viduka leave and we peddle Geremi and Smith, that'll be between £200,000 and £300,000 a week off the wage bill to start. If we can get shot of the stupidly high earners, that might equate to a little bit more transfer money.

Because good players accept pittances.

Bassong will be on less than Cacapa.

Jonas will be on less than Duff.

Martins will be on less than Viduka.

of course you can get better players on smaller wages. It's all about value for money.

Is Martins leaving?

Possibly - even if he doesn't he never plays a full season.

Even if he doesn't you can't get by with two good strikers + dross.

Beckford, Sharp and Keogh. That'll win us the Championship no probs :)

Closer to £300k than £200k

I don't see Joey Barton being here next season either.  Duff should be a prime contender for the chop too, underperforming on high wages, but he has that jedi mind trick thing that makes every manager play him.

Bassong will be on less than Cacapa.

Jonas will be on less than Duff.

Martins will be on less than Viduka.

of course you can get better players on smaller wages. It's all about value for money.

The last one not by much I'd guess but then again these wonderful "value" wages also lead to decent ones heads being turned - the opposite of the Geremi/Duff problem.

I'm going to try and just ignore what comes out of the regime's proverbial mouth from now on I think. I don't trust them, but nor am I someone who wants to write off and ridicule every single statement they make.

They're just words at the end of the day. I'll make my own mind up about things when I see for myself how things are going down, and when I hear from people in the know.

Is Llambias not in the know?

I'd be happy if we lost Owen Viduka Duff Smith Geremi Cacapa and Edgar, and gave Bassong, Krul, Lovenkrands and to an extent Carroll and Forster decenter deals. I'm not talking crazy money, but better deals that make them feel valued.

That's not what I meant really. By in the know I meant local fans, people who get to games more than I do, journos and people at the club who are trustworthy, agreeable and tell it to you straight. Etc.

I'm not saying Llambias isn't in the know, I'm just saying I'd rather not get worked up by comments from the regime like some do. Instead I'll focus most of my attention on seeing results, physical changes etc.

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

That's not what I meant really. By in the know I meant local fans, people who get to games more than I do, journos and people at the club who are trustworthy, agreeable and tell it to you straight. Etc.

I'm not saying Llambias isn't in the know, I'm just saying I'd rather not get worked up by comments from the regime like some do. Instead I'll focus most of my attention on seeing results, physical changes etc.

Best of luck with that search.