They are getting ready to blame KK for less transfer money (smoke, mirrors etc).

Parky

NEWCASTLE United’s legal row with former manager Kevin Keegan could drag on for months and seriously disrupt the club’s summer transfer strategy.

The Journal understands that, while there is a preliminary hearing between the two legal teams to discuss the case early next month, it is highly unlikely an agreement will be reached then.

Both legal teams are adamant they have a strong case, which means the arguments could carry on for weeks, if not months, before a settlement is concluded with a number of hearings required before the matter is eventually passed on to a Premier League arbitration panel. United’s owner Mike Ashley is determined not to back down in the dispute as a matter of principle, while Keegan, who is unlikely to work in football again, would like to maximise the size of his compensation claim.

Keegan is believed to be seeking as much as £9m after he sued the club for constructive dismissal following his controversial departure back in September.

Newcastle, though, believe Keegan quit and have made a counter claim for breach of contract. That potentially has significant knock-on effects for the club’s finances.

United would like to see the case settled as quickly as possible so they know if they are going to have to pay out any compensation and, if so, how much.

That would allow the board to adjust their business plan accordingly, but if the case drags on, there is a chance it will force them to trim their transfer budget in the summer so that there is money set aside to cover the cost of any future settlement.

United are due to receive around £16m from the sale of Shay Given, David Rozehnal, James Milner and Charles N’Zogbia in the summer, money which has already been earmarked for player recruitment.

Ashley is also, according to managing director Derek Llambias, willing to put in as much as £15m of his own money each season, which would give Joe Kinnear – assuming he returns to work following a triple heart-bypass operation – around £30m to play with.

That is a significant amount in the present financial climate, but Ashley is not willing to break with his business plan and increase his personal investment, so any compensation to Keegan would reduce that figure unless the matter is eventually settled in Newcastle’s favour at an arbitration hearing.

Llambias said: “We tried to keep him – Mike insisted that we should keep him. We tried our best to keep him, but once someone crosses that line, it’s very difficult to get them back.

Pretty selective reading mind. What about this bit?

Ashley is also, according to managing director Derek Llambias, willing to put in as much as £15m of his own money each season, which would give Joe Kinnear – assuming he returns to work following a triple heart-bypass operation – around £30m to play with.

You don´t walk from the club two times, demand silly money, and still get considered as messiah. Sorry Keegan. You are no longer "king Kev" for me. Just one of the better manager we have had, called Kevin Keegan.

Greedy Bastard!

Ashley is also, according to managing director Derek Llambias, willing to put in as much as £15m of his own money each season, which would give Joe Kinnear assuming he returns to work following a triple heart-bypass operation around £30m to play with.

Very selective.

There is no plan for Kinnear to get a net spend of £30 million in the summer, regardless of the outcome of Keegan's settlement, and nothing that Llambias has said points to that happening.

Ashley is also, according to managing director Derek Llambias, willing to put in as much as £15m of his own money each season, which would give Joe Kinnear assuming he returns to work following a triple heart-bypass operation around £30m to play with.

Very selective.

There is no plan for Kinnear to get a net spend of £30 million in the summer, regardless of the outcome of Keegan's settlement, and nothing that Llambias has said points to that happening.

Have you been in the boardroom meetings recently then?

Funny how we tend to believe the press when it's negative and not when it says something like that.

This will add Keegan to the list of people taking money out of Newcastle for something other than a salary.  The list of people who have made money out of us compared to the ones that have not does not seem to effect public opinion of them so fair play to them I suppose.

Have

Halls

Shepards

Bobby Robson

Aladyce

Souness

Many other sacked managers...

Have not

Gullet

Ashley

Wise

Llambias

Very selective.

Have you been in the boardroom meetings recently then?

Funny how we tend to believe the press when it's negative and not when it says something like that.

Of course I haven't been in the boardroom meetings. I'm going on what has been communicated in the press by Llambias in his recent interviews. The article is a classic case of plucking a few quotes from a larger piece and and coming to a false conclusion.

This will add Keegan to the list of people taking money out of Newcastle for something other than a salary.  The list of people who have made money out of us compared to the ones that have not does not seem to effect public opinion of them so fair play to them I suppose.

Have

Halls

Shepards

Bobby Robson

Aladyce

Souness

Many other sacked managers...

Have not

Gullet

Ashley

Wise

Llambias

You can add Babayaro to the Haves list. Got paid to piss off iirc.

If he walked out/quit/ran away he would be getting nowt I guess them paying up shows that none of that was true or as clear cut as some would like.

I think he's arguing 'constructive dismissal', meaning he felt he was left with no option but to walk out. It would be up to the court to decide if that was reasonable, if it gets that far.

Doesn't mean he didn't walk at all... I'm not saying it was 'clear cut' though.

So we believe the bit about the budget being cut because of KK, but not the bit about the £30m?

Llambias has specifically referred to both the Jonas and the Keegan settlements and their effect on the finances. Nowhere has he said that Ashley will fund anything other than the clubs past, present and future trading losses which were £30 million in 2007, £20 million in 2008, and expected to reduce to £7 million in 2009. If you want to believe that we are going to spunk £30 million on the squad in the summer please do so, but the club has said nothing whatsoever that points at that happening.

Again both parties to blames for me, I do feel that this will be used as a excuse if our transfer spending isn't high and Keegan should be ashamed if he is wanting 9 million. I wasn't keen on him coming back and now it's reenforced my view that he done it for the money and nothng else.