March

Dave

It looks increasingly likely that some if not all of United's current crop of injury victims will be back in contention for first team recalls during March.

First back is Andy Carroll, fit again after picking up an ankle injury in the Tyne-wear derby, while the toe injury Xisco picked up on his reserve debut in early February was diagnosed as requiring a three weeks layoff.

The Spanish U21 international however commented on Friday that he hoped to be playing again "within a few weeks".

Danny Guthrie meanwhile is expected to have recovered from his hamstring problem just in time to be booed again by home fans at Hull City in a fortnight.

Although coach Chris Hughton has moved to dampen speculation that Joey Barton was a fortnight away from, he did confirm that the broken metatarsal victim was expected to feature within four weeks.

Michael Owen (ankle/groin) and Habib Beye (ankle) have both set their own return dates of Hull (a) and Arsenal (h) respectively, while forgotten man Nacho Gonzalez is on course to make a return to action after being out since September 2008 with achilles trouble.

A bit of positive stuff to look forward to for a change. Two winnable games too. :)

Good news. What would peoples starting 11 be with everyone fit and available?

Harper

Beye

Bassong

Coloccini

Enrique

Barton

Guthrie

Jonas

Owen

Viduka

Martins

Ridiculously gung-ho (and far too much so for the likes of Kinnear and Hughton) but I'd absolutely love to see it. :nods:

It looks increasingly likely that some if not all of United's current crop of injury victims will be back in contention for first team recalls during March.

First back is Andy Carroll, fit again after picking up an ankle injury in the Tyne-wear derby, while the toe injury Xisco picked up on his reserve debut in early February was diagnosed as requiring a three weeks layoff.

The Spanish U21 international however commented on Friday that he hoped to be playing again "within a few weeks".

Danny Guthrie meanwhile is expected to have recovered from his hamstring problem just in time to be booed again by home fans at Hull City in a fortnight.

Although coach Chris Hughton has moved to dampen speculation that Joey Barton was a fortnight away from, he did confirm that the broken metatarsal victim was expected to feature within four weeks.

Michael Owen (ankle/groin) and Habib Beye (ankle) have both set their own return dates of Hull (a) and Arsenal (h) respectively, while forgotten man Nacho Gonzalez is on course to make a return to action after being out since September 2008 with achilles trouble.

A bit of positive stuff to look forward to for a change. Two winnable games too. :)

Just begging for something Dreamteamesque to occur in March then.

Harper

Beye

Bassong

Coloccini

Enrique

Barton

Guthrie

Jonas

Owen

Viduka

Martins

Ridiculously gung-ho (and far too much so for the likes of Kinnear and Hughton) but I'd absolutely love to see it. :nods:

Obviously pretty similar to the end of last season which worked of course. I'd have Barton on the right hand side of the three with Guthrie just sitting as he hasn't really got the legs to go up and down. But I think as he's quite good technically and has as good footballing brain he'd be good sitting there, sweeping up and making play tick over.

Harper

Beye

Bassong

Coloccini

Enrique

Barton

Guthrie

Jonas

Owen

Viduka

Martins

Obviously pretty similar to the end of last season which worked of course. I'd have Barton on the right hand side of the three with Guthrie just sitting as he hasn't really got the legs to go up and down. But I think as he's quite good technically and has as good footballing brain he'd be good sitting there, sweeping up and making play tick over.

:nods:

The thing I loved so much about the 4-3-3 at the end of last season as it was just that. It wasn't a watered down version we here so much of which is just a 4-5-1. We had three strikers playing, and it worked absolutely fantastic.

for home games:

Harper

Beye  Colo  Seba  Jose

Barton Nolan Jonas

Owen

Duke    Oba

For aways sacrifise Duke/Owen and bring in Guthrie or Geremi.

Harper

Beye Coloccini Bassong Enrique

Barton Guthrie Jonas

Owen

Viduka Martins

Surely that would have far too much for many shit teams? *drool*

On paper that is a pretty impressive team and there would be some decent subs to boot. Shame really, a bit of board stability and a decent manager would probably have that team around Everton's position.

Harper

Barton Guthrie Jonas

Owen

Viduka Martins

See that's the thing. People talk about how bad we are, but then you look at that squad and you think if only they could all stay fit and we had a decent manager.

It's also one of those teams that once it got used to each other and if it had a good manager could be incredibly fluid. All of Barton, Guthrie / Nolan, Jonas track back, Beye and Enrique were decent going forward and could get better, especially enrique.

Sadly, we're never going to find out as those guys and a good manager will never be at the club all at the same time. By the time we get someone decent in charge at least Viduka and Owen will be gone, possibly more.

Harper

Barton Guthrie Jonas

Owen

Viduka Martins

See that's the thing. People talk about how bad we are, but then you look at that squad and you think if only they could all stay fit and we had a decent manager.

I reckon the club are doing just that though; only looking at it on paper. In reality there's little chance of them all being fit/not suspended/not in jail. By the time we get a decent manager having the balls to play that system and capable of making it work half of them will be away anyway. :undecided:

Edit - as pointed out by petelockey.

Harper

Barton Guthrie Jonas

Owen

Viduka Martins

I reckon the club are doing just that though; only looking at it on paper. In reality there's little chance of them all being fit/not suspended/not in jail. By the time we get a decent manager having the balls to play that system and capable of making it work half of them will be away anyway. :undecided:

:lol:

Didn't Hughton play 4-3-3 against Hull btw? Even if that did include Shola and Xisco.

If it was so good then why did Keegan finish last season, played pre season and the four games before he fucked off playing a standard 4-4-2?

Since when was Keegan infallible btw?

WUM rating 4/10.

If it was so good then why did Keegan finish last season, played pre season and the four games before he fucked off playing a standard 4-4-2?

Possibly because Viduka and Owen were injured.

So it's only a formation that he can use when all are fit?

I guess it wouldn't have been used that often this season then.

Possibly because Viduka and Owen were injured.

So it's only a formation that he can use when all are fit?

I guess it wouldn't have been used that often this season then.

I thought that was the question that was asked in the thread?

I didn't claim he was, my point is that in his last 6 or so competitive games he didn't use the formation, he didn't even use it in pre season when it would have been the perfect opportunity to get other players used to playing in it and finding out who is capable of filling in certain positions when the usual suspects are out injured.

That tells me that he didn't have any intention of going with it long term, but I'm happy to discuss it if anyone thinks I'm wrong on the subject.

WUM rating 4/10.

Generous scoring there Dave

4-3-3 would only work with Duke,Oba,Owen without the backups are not good enough players to make the system work. Without The Dukes link up play or Owens ghosting runs and vision in the hole the formation is worthless hence the reverting back to 4-4-2.