Wise going in Summer? NOTW Tomorrow

dustynrg

Newcastle’s director of football going in the summer

By MARTIN HARDY, 28/02/2009

DENNIS WISE will end his controversial stay as Newcastle’s executive director of football in the summer.

Sport of the World has learned that the former Chelsea star is set to step down from his position at the end of the season.

Wise’s appointment in January last year, just days after Kevin Keegan had completed a stunning return to power at St James’ Park, was ultimately a major factor in the departure that ripped the club apart.

Owner Mike Ashley backed Wise, whose involvement in transfers infuriated Keegan and significantly diluted his powers.

But Wise is now ready to leave his £1.2million-a-year position at Newcastle, despite being heavily involved in the club’s January transfer window negotiations.

He set up deals for Albin Ebondo and Michael Johnson which fell through and was offered Peter Lovenkrands BEFORE Kinnear. He also tied up Ryan Taylor’s switch to the North East.

Perilous

His mandate has also been to develop the club’s academy and he has overseen an influx of overseas young talent. But he has remained a hugely unpopular figure at the club and he will leave by mutual consent. Despite the unrest, the Toon WILL stick to the same management structure that caused such annoyance with Keegan.

Subject to medical clearance, Kinnear will return to the Newcastle hotseat, but with Wise’s impending departure, he could eventually be offered a similar role, allowing Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood to take training.

Ashley is bracing himself for a further £8 pay-out. He will have to pay former boss Keegan around £4m from his own pocket over his exit.

Keegan had claimed £8m for constructive dismissal while Toon chiefs countered with a suit of their own for breach of contract, demanding £2m. But the club are seeking a quick settlement and hope to push through a package this week.

Spirit

But such is the perilous nature of the club’s finances that Ashley will have to fund the Keegan pay-out on his own.

England striker Michael Owen will also be offered a new deal in the summer at significantly less than the £110,000-a-week he currently picks up, having already turned down a reduced three-year deal worth £12m.

It is assumed he will spark a Bosman scramble but team-mate Nicky Butt last night said: “I still believe Michael could be staying.

“Negotiations have stopped at the minute but it’s not like he’s going about saying he wants to leave. There could be a bit of a shock. He might stay.”

Toon face Bolton today and Butt added: “We all have to stand up and be counted. We have the fighting spirit and the players to keep the club up.”

Subject to medical clearance, Kinnear will return to the Newcastle hotseat, but with Wise’s impending departure, he could eventually be offered a similar role, allowing Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood to take training.

Got to love the idea, at least :lol: I wonder where Jol fancies holidaying this Summer.

This'll have to happen if we're gonna appoint a respectable Premiership manager imo. Can't see it though.

Yeah but that's what is making the story so laughable. I'd rather keep Wise, with Kinnear in charge than have Kinnear doing this role and our only two first team coaching being in charge of the first team.

The whole story is bollocks anyway. What a waste of my eyesight.

Aye, get rid of the scape goat. Ignore his good works.

Much like you're ignorning the lack of ability to strengthen the squad where it is needed. Then again I can't really say that as I'm not exactly sure what his role is like many others.

And I've said time and time again, how do you know his work is good? You won't know that until some of the young lads have had chance to develop in a couple of years time.

DENNIS WISE will end his controversial stay as Newcastle’s executive director of football in the summer.

Sport of the World has learned that the former Chelsea star is set to step down from his position at the end of the season.

Wise’s appointment in January last year, just days after Kevin Keegan had completed a stunning return to power at St James’ Park, was ultimately a major factor in the departure that ripped the club apart.

Owner Mike Ashley backed Wise, whose involvement in transfers infuriated Keegan and significantly diluted his powers.

But Wise is now ready to leave his £1.2million-a-year position at Newcastle, despite being heavily involved in the club’s January transfer window negotiations.

He set up deals for Albin Ebondo and Michael Johnson which fell through and was offered Peter Lovenkrands BEFORE Kinnear. He also tied up Ryan Taylor’s switch to the North East.

Perilous

His mandate has also been to develop the club’s academy and he has overseen an influx of overseas young talent. But he has remained a hugely unpopular figure at the club and he will leave by mutual consent. Despite the unrest, the Toon WILL stick to the same management structure that caused such annoyance with Keegan.

Ashley is bracing himself for a further £8 pay-out. He will have to pay former boss Keegan around £4m from his own pocket over his exit.

Keegan had claimed £8m for constructive dismissal while Toon chiefs countered with a suit of their own for breach of contract, demanding £2m. But the club are seeking a quick settlement and hope to push through a package this week.

Spirit

But such is the perilous nature of the club’s finances that Ashley will have to fund the Keegan pay-out on his own.

England striker Michael Owen will also be offered a new deal in the summer at significantly less than the £110,000-a-week he currently picks up, having already turned down a reduced three-year deal worth £12m.

It is assumed he will spark a Bosman scramble but team-mate Nicky Butt last night said: “I still believe Michael could be staying.

“Negotiations have stopped at the minute but it’s not like he’s going about saying he wants to leave. There could be a bit of a shock. He might stay.”

Toon face Bolton today and Butt added: “We all have to stand up and be counted. We have the fighting spirit and the players to keep the club up.”

If he was heavily involved in the farce that is the January transfer window then he's certainly not earning that reported salary.

Perilous

Spirit

If he was heavily involved in the farce that is the January transfer window then he's certainly not earning that reported salary.

bit harsh if he persuaded the players to come (and by all accounts ebondo and johnson wanted to come) but for the transfer fee,possibly not set by him wasn't to the selling clubs satisfaction.

we can't blame wise until it is made clearer what his job is.

Newcastles director of football going in the summer

DENNIS WISE will end his controversial stay as Newcastles executive director of football in the summer.

Wises appointment in January last year, just days after Kevin Keegan had completed a stunning return to power at St James Park, was ultimately a major factor in the departure that ripped the club apart.

But Wise is now ready to leave his £1.2million-a-year position at Newcastle, despite being heavily involved in the clubs January transfer window negotiations.

He set up deals for Albin Ebondo and Michael Johnson which fell through and was offered Peter Lovenkrands BEFORE Kinnear. He also tied up Ryan Taylors switch to the North East.

Perilous

His mandate has also been to develop the clubs academy and he has overseen an influx of overseas young talent. But he has remained a hugely unpopular figure at the club and he will leave by mutual consent. Despite the unrest, the Toon WILL stick to the same management structure that caused such annoyance with Keegan.

Subject to medical clearance, Kinnear will return to the Newcastle hotseat, but with Wises impending departure, he could eventually be offered a similar role, allowing Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood to take training.

Spirit

But such is the perilous nature of the clubs finances that Ashley will have to fund the Keegan pay-out on his own.

It is assumed he will spark a Bosman scramble but team-mate Nicky Butt last night said: I still believe Michael could be staying.

Negotiations have stopped at the minute but its not like hes going about saying he wants to leave. There could be a bit of a shock. He might stay.

Toon face Bolton today and Butt added: We all have to stand up and be counted. We have the fighting spirit and the players to keep the club up.

bit harsh if he persuaded the players to come (and by all accounts ebondo and johnson wanted to come) but for the transfer fee,possibly not set by him wasn't to the selling clubs satisfaction.

That's why I said if. ;)

Newcastles director of football going in the summer

DENNIS WISE will end his controversial stay as Newcastles executive director of football in the summer.

Wises appointment in January last year, just days after Kevin Keegan had completed a stunning return to power at St James Park, was ultimately a major factor in the departure that ripped the club apart.

But Wise is now ready to leave his £1.2million-a-year position at Newcastle, despite being heavily involved in the clubs January transfer window negotiations.

He set up deals for Albin Ebondo and Michael Johnson which fell through and was offered Peter Lovenkrands BEFORE Kinnear. He also tied up Ryan Taylors switch to the North East.

Perilous

His mandate has also been to develop the clubs academy and he has overseen an influx of overseas young talent. But he has remained a hugely unpopular figure at the club and he will leave by mutual consent. Despite the unrest, the Toon WILL stick to the same management structure that caused such annoyance with Keegan.

Subject to medical clearance, Kinnear will return to the Newcastle hotseat, but with Wises impending departure, he could eventually be offered a similar role, allowing Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood to take training.

Spirit

But such is the perilous nature of the clubs finances that Ashley will have to fund the Keegan pay-out on his own.

It is assumed he will spark a Bosman scramble but team-mate Nicky Butt last night said: I still believe Michael could be staying.

Negotiations have stopped at the minute but its not like hes going about saying he wants to leave. There could be a bit of a shock. He might stay.

Toon face Bolton today and Butt added: We all have to stand up and be counted. We have the fighting spirit and the players to keep the club up.

That's why I said if. ;)

i know.....i just think it needs drummed home sometimes to get past peoples short sighted hatred of wise. (i say short sighted as i accept disliking the fella isn't blind hatred as there are enough glaringly obvious reasons to dislike him)

Guest Darth Toon

It's in the Mirror toaday as well, has another job lined up apparently - might actually be something in this.

Very good news IMO - even if Ashley insists on sticking to his DOF structure there are are many, many men far better qualified for the job. JFK for instance..... :kinnear:

The level of hatred against him is so great, I'm a bit surprised he's lasted this long. He must have very thick skin, but in the end everyone must have their limit. I hope he stays though.

Within the confines of the transfer budget, which aren't set by him, he's done a more than decent job, particularly in the field of recruiting young talent. I've often felt that our fans have too much influence, not too little.

It's in the Mirror toaday as well, has another job lined up apparently - might actually be something in this.

Very good news IMO - even if Ashley insists on sticking to his DOF structure there are are many, many men far better qualified for the job. JFK for instance..... :kinnear:

Tbf to JFK not that I'm saying he should be anywhere near a role like DOF apparently he does have a good eye for talent as he was doing some scouting for Wenger during his time out from management.

Guest Darth Toon

Tbf to JFK not that I'm saying he should be anywhere near a role like DOF apparently he does have a good eye for talent as he was doing some scouting for Wenger during his time out from management.

That's kind of where I was coming from - has probably built up just about enough goodwill to be accepted in the role as well. Now just need to find a manager who would work under him - Bruce or Shearer anyone?

That's kind of where I was coming from - has probably built up just about enough goodwill to be accepted in the role as well. Now just need to find a manager who would work under him - Bruce or Shearer anyone?

But werent there rumors that Shearer said he wouldnt work under the DOF structure? And if Kinnear is to take that job then its still a DOF structure the club has, so I cant see Big Al working for us still. Bruce? Maybe. If it goes tits up at Wigan from now and till the end of the season then he might give us a thought.

Tbh, I wish we could just go back to the normal, English way of doing things at this club. Ashley doesnt understand that you can still suck up the best youth players around the UK and rest of the world without having a DOF. All you need is a top-class scouting network and your set.

Agree.

If Wise / his team is responsible for all the random youth signings that we've made, then I'm more than happy to have him on board.

Tis a big IF mind you.

Pointless really because I dont agree with the system, fair enough you could get someone more qualified like with better knowledge, but for me the system only gains credibility if a quality manager is appointed/attempted to be appointed.

Agree.

If Wise / his team is responsible for all the random youth signings that we've made, then I'm more than happy to have him on board.

Tis a big IF mind you.

Do you know how good they are btw?