Has apathy set in for you, yet?

Big Geordie

So - another insipid and disappointing 'performance' today to digest over the next few days. Not that we get much respite, with the visit of the red Mancs on Weds.

Just wondering what the general feeling is out there at the moment - has apathy set in for you with regards to Newcastle and are you past caring? It's been pointed out before but it's probably the biggest danger facing the club at the moment, even more so than relegation. The recent season ticket price freeze isn't down to the credit crunch - no it's a lot more blatant than that. It's a sweetner (and a poor one at that) to keep the fans on side. I believe Ashley and Lambias are very worried about the summer when s/t renewal time comes around. A massive drop in s/t renewals will have implications, particularly if we are playing Championship football. All very nice and well for prices to be frozen, but who wants to pay £26 a go (on average, IIRC) to watch football in a lower division?

Being at Bolton today - a certain degree of apathy seems to have become attached to some of the players, but it's not a new thing. I saw our club captain (Owen) turn in a 'I can't be chewed with this' showing at Blackburn, and for some of those I saw today I saw the same thing.

For many of us, NUFC is a big part of our lives. It has been for me for well over 25 years now - although I'm not as black and white daft as I used to be (not making it to many games because of financial reasons - young family to look after) I took the decision not to renew at the end of 2006/07 and haven't regretted it.

Question is - what is it going to take for you to have had enough?

Coming out the match today with my mates walking back to the car,  we were all saying that apathy seems to have struck the supporters,  today in the 2nd half just seemed that our fans were resigned to defeat and it was one of the quietest away ends i've been in,  there's only so much you can take.

I missed the WBA game but my last away game was Blackburn where that performance was met with anger from the supporters,  today seemed like one defeat too many and can see thousands saying enough is enough..... 

Coming out the match today with my mates walking back to the car,  we were all saying that apathy seems to have struck the supporters,  today in the 2nd half just seemed that our fans were resigned to defeat and it was one of the quietest away ends i've been in,  there's only so much you can take.

I missed the WBA game but my last away game was Blackburn where that performance was met with anger from the supporters,  today seemed like one defeat too many and can see thousands saying enough is enough..... 

We had 1500 empty seats today. The apathy has set in.

How come the Hull game has sold out then, CG?

So - another insipid and disappointing 'performance' today to digest over the next few days. Not that we get much respite, with the visit of the red Mancs on Weds.

Just wondering what the general feeling is out there at the moment - has apathy set in for you with regards to Newcastle and are you past caring? It's been pointed out before but it's probably the biggest danger facing the club at the moment, even more so than relegation. The recent season ticket price freeze isn't down to the credit crunch - no it's a lot more blatant than that. It's a sweetner (and a poor one at that) to keep the fans on side. I believe Ashley and Lambias are very worried about the summer when s/t renewal time comes around. A massive drop in s/t renewals will have implications, particularly if we are playing Championship football. All very nice and well for prices to be frozen, but who wants to pay £26 a go (on average, IIRC) to watch football in a lower division?

Being at Bolton today - a certain degree of apathy seems to have become attached to some of the players, but it's not a new thing. I saw our club captain (Owen) turn in a 'I can't be chewed with this' showing at Blackburn, and for some of those I saw today I saw the same thing.

For many of us, NUFC is a big part of our lives. It has been for me for well over 25 years now - although I'm not as black and white daft as I used to be (not making it to many games because of financial reasons - young family to look after) I took the decision not to renew at the end of 2006/07 and haven't regretted it.

Question is - what is it going to take for you to have had enough?

Probably another 40 years of supporting them...

I feel that I'm starting to watch the games now out of habit. In the last 10 minutes of the match today when everyone was going mental I just didn't care.

I've got enough crap going on without this shit team ruining every one of my weekends. Saying that though, I doubt I'll stop watching.

Guest Stephen927

Theres a feeling about the football club that it's Kinnear/Hughton and Calderwood until the end of the season and probably beyond that no matter what, simply because Ashley isn't willing to pay off Kinnear and bring in a permanent manager.

It seems so simple. He isn't able to sell, so why doesn't he do this? I just feel that whatever happens theres no chance of changing any of the management personnel... even in the summer (assuming Ashley hasn't negotiated a price to sell the place) theres a feeling that not much improvement will be made, and if there is it'll be at the expense of a few of our more saleable assets.

How come the Hull game has sold out then, CG?

i presume it only cos its a new ground for some and not on tv.

Ashley wouldn't have to pay off Kinnear, he just doesn't have to extend his contract beyond the end of the season. If Ashley gives Kinnear an extended contract he obviously doesn't give a toss about season ticket sales. The wonderful Lambias comment "you've seen worse football" was one of his reasons for the fans to stick with them.

The future looks shite.

Guest firetotheworks

It hasnt hurt to watch us lose since losing 3-0 to Blackburn. I still care though. I SWEAR!

Difficult to care too much when you know if we don't go down this season, there's nothing around the corner to suggest things will get better than they are. The only thing that will upgrade my feelings from apathetic, is the appointment of a new manager.

There was definitely an air of resignation at the end of the game rather than anger.

What can people do.  We all know what the problems are and they have been apparent for several years now and the lack of action by the club, means that we are heading one way fast.  I just find it amazing that the the club seem to think it will all be OK in the end and that complacency and arrogance will hurt them - if not by relegation at least financially which will have huge implications for their "5 year plan".  People just think whats the point and are sick of being taken for mugs.

I do not think our players are especially brillant but they are good enough to be moulded into a decent top half team.

Guest firetotheworks

Are there any older supporters who can perhaps put this into perspective. I know that there's bigger and harder things to bare than struggling in the Premier League, it'd just never happened while Ive been a supporter.

NE5, dare I ask?

Whilst i can imagine the club has been in far worse situations than this over the years... it doesn't mean we're not allowed to realise what an absolute catastrophe it would be if we were to go down. It doesn't mean we can't recognise this current situation as an absolutely shocking one. 

This is the worst situation we've been in in 15/16 years, definitely. I'd probably say the brinks of relegation to 'Division 3' just about pips this like... but then the connotations are the same. Go down now, we're finished for the forseeable; and it was the same situation back then.

From experience, going down is a bad feeling. However, once the team started to move forward, albeit in the lower division, everyone got behind them again. Momentum is very important in generating enthusiasm.

The bad bit about lower division football is that you disappear from the national radar a bit. All the attention is on the top division, and nobody seems to care what's happening underneath.

Promotion is a lovely feeling though - not that I'd want to experience it again. Hopefully we'll have other things to feel happy about in the future.

From experience, going down is a bad feeling. However, once the team started to move forward, albeit in the lower division, everyone got behind them again. Momentum is very important in generating enthusiasm.

The bad bit about lower division football is that you disappear from the national radar a bit.  All the attention is on the top division, and nobody seems to care what's happening underneath.

Promotion is a lovely feeling though - not that I'd want to experience it again. Hopefully we'll have other things to feel happy about in the future.

I think thats already happened to us, the media is not going on about "how a big club which finished 3rd in this decade is on the verge or relegation".

They dont take a second glance at us tbh.

If we do go down, history tells us that bouncing back at the first attempt is very unlikely. In previous relegations, the club tends to linger in Division Two (the championship) for 4-5 years before finally mounting a promotion campaign. Then the whole cycle starts again....

If we do go down, history tells us that bouncing back at the first attempt is very unlikely. In previous relegations, the club tends to linger in Division Two (the championship) for 4-5 years before finally mounting a promotion campaign. Then the whole cycle starts again....

Sadly the trend more recently seems to have clubs relegated from the Premier League languishing in the lower reaches of the Championship. Looking at the table now, its a bit like a graveyard for former Premier league clubs.

Birmingham managed to come straight back up a couple of seasons back but I think that was a rarity.

Scary times lay ahead

Not really because in Oba & Owen we have two striker who will score the goals to keep us up.

But I would like all the fuckers who contracts are up at the end of the season to go, players & non-playing staff. Let the sideshow that is Wise leave as well. See if someone like Frank Arnsen fancies doing real work again as a proper DOF. Let the DOF appoint the first team coach & build from there.

Sadly the trend more recently seems to have clubs relegated from the Premier League languishing in the lower reaches of the Championship. Looking at the table now, its a bit like a graveyard for former Premier league clubs.

Birmingham managed to come straight back up a couple of seasons back but I think that was a rarity.

Scary times lay ahead

Yup - sometimes when the rot sets in, it takes a while to turn it around. Money problems have plenty to do with it as well.

If we do go down, it'll be like rats deserting a sinking ship for the players. Then again - why should they care when they'll end up at new clubs?