NUSC write up of Llambias attendance at the Supporters Panel meeting

Happy Face

Also, it seems to me as if the club is now being run basically month to month with the view to sell it at the earliest opportunity ie. No big debts (buying players outright and such, paying off bank loans (well moving bank loans)). So they can get rid of it quickly when the time came.

That's the most baffling thing. They're effectively spit polishing the club with the view to attracting buyers yet Llambias seems to talk in the long term. I really do hope MA wants to offload ASAP but I fear we're going to be in the second tier in a few seasons time still finding ways to cut costs.

I fear you are correct. It's admitted in this article that the long term talk was bollocks and it seems they are just continuing with this speel in the hope that supporters have something to cling onto. I am in no doubt we will financially be better off when they leave but unless these youngsters are superstars we are going to be years behind most of the premiership.

Could you quote that bit, please? I must have missed it.

On this note we asked why Ashley comes out with statements such as “we are going to be in Europe by the end of the season” and “what price to finish in the top six?”

Llambias questioned where these quotes were coming from and we duly informed him of the source: His own club’s programme on the day NUFC were comprehensively taken apart 5-1 by Liverpool.

The guy in charge of the programme defended this as “an attempt to pick up on the feel good factor”.

Also, it seems to me as if the club is now being run basically month to month with the view to sell it at the earliest opportunity ie. No big debts (buying players outright and such, paying off bank loans (well moving bank loans)). So they can get rid of it quickly when the time came.

That's the most baffling thing. They're effectively spit polishing the club with the view to attracting buyers yet Llambias seems to talk in the long term. I really do hope MA wants to offload ASAP but I fear we're going to be in the second tier in a few seasons time still finding ways to cut costs.

I fear you are correct. It's admitted in this article that the long term talk was bollocks and it seems they are just continuing with this speel in the hope that supporters have something to cling onto. I am in no doubt we will financially be better off when they leave but unless these youngsters are superstars we are going to be years behind most of the premiership.

On this note we asked why Ashley comes out with statements such as “we are going to be in Europe by the end of the season” and “what price to finish in the top six?”

Llambias questioned where these quotes were coming from and we duly informed him of the source: His own club’s programme on the day NUFC were comprehensively taken apart 5-1 by Liverpool.

The guy in charge of the programme defended this as “an attempt to pick up on the feel good factor”.

thats one big leap in reading between the lines mind.

Oh, I see, so what you meant by the "long term talk" being bollocks was Ashley getting overexcited about the possibilities of this season. Silly me.

Interestingly, though, speaking of the long term, Llambias lets slip something about what something or other might be worth in 6-7 years' time, which strikes me as a better clue about how long they expect to be around and what kind of timescale they might be considering.

On this note we asked why Ashley comes out with statements such as we are going to be in Europe by the end of the season and what price to finish in the top six?

Llambias questioned where these quotes were coming from and we duly informed him of the source: His own clubs programme on the day NUFC were comprehensively taken apart 5-1 by Liverpool.

The guy in charge of the programme defended this as an attempt to pick up on the feel good factor.

It's exactly this sort of bollocks which shows up the NUSC as the raging numpties which many suspect them of being.

What feel good factor was he hoping to pick up on? ???

We'd lost dismally in our previous match and had lost our best player going into a game against a team top of the league (IIRC?).

thats one big leap in reading between the lines mind.

Well that is what is required with this lot. No straight answers so I will interpret it based on their actions so far.

We'd lost dismally in our previous match and had lost our best player going into a game against a team top of the league (IIRC?).

Perhaps it's wise not to read too much into a second-hand account of something supposedly said by "the guy in charge of the programme".

Guest BooBoo

Does anybody believe for a second what Lambias is supposedly to have had said about Xisco being KKs buy?

Perhaps it's wise not to read too much into a second-hand account of something supposedly said by "the guy in charge of the programme".

Are you suggesting the quotes in the match programme are just made up?

Does anybody believe for a second what Lambias is supposedly to have had said about Xisco being KKs buy?

Due to Keegan and the club being in 'talks' centering around exactly this, then yes for once I think you can take Llambias with a smaller dose of salt when he claims that Xisco was a KK buy (along with Xisco's quotes when he signed...)

:lol:

No. I didn't even mention the quotes in the programme.

It's an interesting read, but it says as much about NUSC as about Llambias. The whole tone of the reporting is very snide, and if they're wanting to build bridges with the new regime, that won't have helped.

I thought it was quite funny the way they demand openness from Llambias about quite detailed matters such as transfers, but when it comes to their own standpoint, they're completely evasive. All they stand for is 'change' - could that be any more vague? They also demand truthfulness from Llambias, but their declaration that they're not an Anti-Ashley organisation is more than a bit dishonest.

Some bit of half-light was shed on what for me is the constant mystery at the heart of the Keegan resignation - ie what player or players were foisted on him against his will. Like many, I'd thought that Xisco was the obvious candidate, but Keegan had met him earlier in the day, and there now seems to be a clear message from Llambias that Keegan had agreed to the transfer. Really that only leaves Gonzalez, which does suggest that Keegan was spoiling for a fight.

Some people argue that the investment in young players suggests that Ashley is looking longer term. But a pool of cheap talented youngsters is very attractive to a potential buyer looking at what will need spending on the squad in future years.

That's assuming a lot about a potential buyer to think they give two flying f***s about the current crop in the academy. 

It might be a passing afterthought for them.  I would imagine first and foremost and encompassing the vast, vast majority of their concern, is finances.  And not the fanciful 5 year projections on squad needs based on current academy talent type of finances, but the concrete debt, turnover and revenue types.

Quite honestly team needs shift so much and the %age of youngsters actually coming through academies is so small it's not worth spending much time on.

edit: sorry that came off harshish.  The non-t*** version is : I don't think a nice crop of youngsters is even a minor selling feature of this club to a potential buyer.

Fair enough. But I think most people buying a business look at the future - it's a lot more important than past performance. Of course the youth recruitment policy at Newcastle could fail to deliver any worthwhile players, but even if only a couple of first teamers come out of it it could be £15-20 million less that needs spending.

Anyway my main point was that it seems to me that the way its being run at present is aimed at making it easy and clean to sell, with no nasty external debt to complicate things. Relegation would shaft any ideas on that score of course. Looking at Ashley's face on Sunday that thought would seem to have crossed his mind as well. 

Due to Keegan and the club being in 'talks' centering around exactly this, then yes for once I think you can take Llambias with a smaller dose of salt when he claims that Xisco was a KK buy (along with Xisco's quotes when he signed...)

Agreed. Given that they are, for legal reasons, keeping very quiet about anything in contention regarding Keegan's attempt to get £9 million out of the club, the fact that they just came straight out with this suggests that it's not at issue and Xisco was indeed a KK purchase.

Guest fading star

Why not, everything else the clubs says is.

Why not, everything else the clubs says is.

In that case it would be even wiser not to read too much into a second-hand account of something supposedly said by "the guy in charge of the programme".

Oh look, it's yet more of the same bollocks from NUSC, who sound like they went to this meeting and made arses of themselves. I hope you didn't write that piece Happy, because it's awful, a genuine transcript of that meeting would have been actually quite interesting, but that's just an embarrassingly inept attempt at spin. In common with everything they do it's much more about self promotion than anything else and is full of the usual levels of self-importance, pettiness, ignorance and downright hypocrisy we've come to expect from NUSC. Why couldn't they just transcribe what was said and let the fans decide for themselves about what to think about it, surely their members are intelligent enough to be given the option of doing that? What are they scared of? That people might not think what they want them to think!?! :lol:

Guest VegasToon

Can I ask where has the money they collected gone to?  They claim 1000 supporters.  At 10 pounds each, that is a lot of money with little to show for it.

Can I ask where has the money they collected gone to?   They claim 1000 supporters.  At 10 pounds each, that is a lot of money with little to show for it.

I guess those keyrings and badges don't come cheap these days.

It's an interesting read, but it says as much about NUSC as about Llambias. The whole tone of the reporting is very snide, and if they're wanting to build bridges with the new regime, that won't have helped.

I thought it was quite funny the way they demand openness from Llambias about quite detailed matters such as transfers, but when it comes to their own standpoint, they're completely evasive. All they stand for is 'change' - could that be any more vague? They also demand truthfulness from Llambias, but their declaration that they're not an Anti-Ashley organisation is more than a bit dishonest.

Some bit of half-light was shed on what for me is the constant mystery at the heart of the Keegan resignation - ie what player or players were foisted on him against his will. Like many, I'd thought that Xisco was the obvious candidate, but Keegan had met him earlier in the day, and there now seems to be a clear message from Llambias that Keegan had agreed to the transfer. Really that only leaves Gonzalez, which does suggest that Keegan was spoiling for a fight.

I thought KK being talked into letting Milner go and no replacement (we know now the monies isn't due till July) was the final straw. Could be wrong.