Shepwatch II

Thespence

The original Shepwatch thread got locked which I posted about Shep & family buying former school La Sagesse, full story at: http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-news/2009/02/26/freddie-shepherd-buys-former-school-la-sagesse-61634-23013127/

Another non-footballing Fred story popped up in today's   Chron:

Jesmond garage is prime site for Freddy

EX-TOON chairman Freddy Shepherd plans to turn an eyesore former filling station into shops.

Through family firm Shepherd Offshore he has bought the former Osborne Garage, in the heart of Jesmond, Newcastle.

The site has deteriorated in recent years after bids to turn it into a pub or restaurant failed.

Bar and café group Sir John Fitzgerald put the quarter-acre plot up for sale last June and the Shepherds stepped in to acquire it for an undisclosed fee.

Now they have told the Chronicle a planning application to use the site for retail purposes is imminent.

Freddy said: “We know the future of this site is something that has concerned residents for a while, and it was time something was done about it.

“We are committed to making sure the former garage is used for something people in Jesmond will be happy with.”

Jesmond Residents’ Association secretary Alan Grant said: “We have been hoping for a solution to the Osborne Garage problem for some time.

“There have been concerns it could become a bar or a pub, but the site is now subject to a cumulative impact policy, meaning that is unlikely to happen.

“We would, of course, vehemently oppose any such application. As far as other developments are concerned, we will have to have a look at the proposals, but the idea of it being used for retail is encouraging. Going by experience from other similar developments, there could be issues around car parking, but we will look forward to speaking with the developers about their proposals.”

The old garage building on the site covers 7,661sq ft and stretches to a lane behind Osborne Road, near its junction with Acorn Road.

The announcement of Mr Shepherd’s plans comes after the company also splashed out more than £5m to buy former girls’ school La Sagesse.

The former Victorian gothic mansion, which overlooks Jesmond Dene, has been closed since last summer due to rent hikes and falling pupil numbers.

The Shepherds say they will consult with Newcastle City Council before deciding what to do with the building, the former home of Tyneside shipbuilder Charles Mitchell.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-evening-chronicle/2009/03/02/jesmond-garage-is-prime-site-for-freddy-72703-23043667/2/

These stories are on top of American firm building on Shepherd land on the banks of the Tyne, which should bring a few jobs to the area http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/Windpower-plan-could-mean-Tyne.4916333.jp.

Wonder if he is still looking at buying Real Mallorca

Go on Freddy son. That garage has been an eyesore since I lived in Jesmond a few years ago, nice to see something done.

That Shepherd land is right behind my new gaff back home too, quite a hive of activity before I came back to university.

Good to see James talking out his arse there, getting communitarian magnanimity confused with self-aggrandising greed and self-interest. Once a crook, always a crook.

Have to say, from the sounds of things, Shepherd is attempting to make a positive regional impact which should be commended.

he's attempting to make a buck (nowt wrong in that mind)

Have to say, from the sounds of things, Shepherd is attempting to make a positive regional impact which should be commended.

he's attempting to make a buck (nowt wrong in that mind)

La Sagesse and the Osbourne Garage are also both about a minute from where he lives, so if he's looking to make a positive regional impact, he's not looking very far. Nowt wrong in that either, but let's not blow it up into something it's not.

interesting move from the big man, pushing ahead with retail businesses in the middle of the worst recession for decades! 

this made me laugh:

"Jesmond Residents’ Association secretary Alan Grant said: “We have been hoping for a solution to the Osborne Garage problem for some time."  :lol:

right up there with getting crack and prostitution of the streets that!  jesmond :nope:

Jesmond hardly needs his regional help, he  could try sinking some money into Walker where he is from I believe, that place could use some invstment. Or he could show Ashley how to run a football club by forming a business consortium and joining in the NUSC campaign to overthrow the current regime at    St James.

:lol: @ the last suggestion

where exactly is La Sagesse? can't say I've ever noticed it around here.

As for the Osborne Garage, it needs something doing with it but the JRA, backed by the owner of Osbornes, are vehemently opposed to any more bars & restaurants.

They managed to force Bar Bacca to close, which was a shame as it was one of the better bars on the strip.

Jesmond hardly needs his regional help, he  could try sinking some money into Walker where he is from I believe, that place could use some invstment. Or he could show Ashley how to run a football club by forming a business consortium and joining in the NUSC campaign to overthrow the current regime at    St James.

He is investing in Walker though isn't he? And pretty much everywhere from Byker to the coast.

As for the Osborne Garage, it needs something doing with it but the JRA, backed by the owner of Osbornes, are vehemently opposed to any more bars & restaurants.

They managed to force Bar Bacca to close, which was a shame as it was one of the better bars on the strip.

By where Matthew Bank meets Jesmond Dene Road, on the Jesmond side. The street where Shepherd lives (Bemersyde Drive) runs along the southern boundary of the grounds.

I used to do a paper round in that area. Bemersyde Drive was the worst street of the lot, all these really long garden paths you had to traipse up and down.

Guest neesy111

he's only in it to make some profit, but at least he's using the money from us in the region still

i hope the renewable energy scheme down the old ship yard's come's off for both shepherd's as it will generate 1000's of jobs which are badly needed up here

He is investing in Walker though isn't he? And pretty much everywhere from Byker to the coast.

He's got some spare cash from selling the club...is it about £40m or so? Nice to see he's investing locally even if he isn't interested in backing the NUSC plan with money. He's a vocal critic of the current board so with his cash I would have thought he'd be able to rally like minded business leaders from the north to give the anti-Ashley movement some clout.

I'm sure my lasses dad is involved with that garage thing in some way. Think it might becoming a pizza express or something.

By where Matthew Bank meets Jesmond Dene Road, on the Jesmond side. The street where Shepherd lives (Bemersyde Drive) runs along the southern boundary of the grounds.

I used to do a paper round in that area. Bemersyde Drive was the worst street of the lot, all these really long garden paths you had to traipse up and down.

doesnt freddy live on jesmond park east/west

He's got some spare cash from selling the club...is it about £40m or so? Nice to see he's investing locally even if he isn't interested in backing the NUSC plan with money. He's a vocal critic of the current board so with his cash I would have thought he'd be able to rally like minded business leaders from the north to give the anti-Ashley movement some clout.

Btw it'll take a lot more than £40m to sort Walker out.  :bluestar:

ex board guy Freddie Fletcher used to live Jesmond Park West.

Obviously, I thought he lived on Bemersyde, but of course I could be wrong,

• 4 weeks later...

This time Shepwatch has found that young Kenny has been given a FIFA agent’s licence.

Kenny Shepherd, son of former Newcastle chairman Freddy and a man whose evidence to the Quest inquiry into alleged corruption in football was criticised by former Metropolitan Police Commissioner Lord Stevens, has been given a FIFA agent’s licence.

Having performed a still-unclear role in some deals at his father’s former club while he did not hold a licence, Shepherd junior can now legitimately work in England - thanks to the Barbados Football Association.

In Quest’s final report in June 2007, Lord Stevens said there were ‘inconsistencies’ between the evidence of Shepherd and former manager Graeme Souness about

Jean-Alain Boumsong’s £8million move from Rangers to Newcastle, one of 17 transfers Lord Stevens refused to sign off.

Now Shepherd has gained his FIFA licence in Barbados, where he lives, and appears on the FA’s list of registered overseas agents.

An FA spokesman said: ‘Kenny Shepherd

obtained his licence overseas from the

Barbados Football Association in accordance with FIFA requirements. As such he is entitled to operate in England, provided he registers with the FA, which he has done.

‘Any questions regarding the testing of his fitness or propriety should be directed to  the national association of the country where he holds his licence.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1165543/Ready-Freddy-Shepherds-boy-business-getting-FIFA-licence-Barbados.html