19 Strasbourg 35

20 Metz  ® 24*

Ligue 1 08/09

1    Lyon  53

2              PSG  49

3 Marseille 48

4 Bordeaux 47

5 Toulouse 46

PSG are probably a good comparison to us. Last year they finished 3 points above the drop, now they are pushing for the league. PSG were complete and utter shit and in dissarray at all levels the whole season, even with a very good manager, they've got 3 points more in the middle of the season than they had in the whole of last season. Toulouse, again probably very lucky to beat the drop, were dire the whole season and escaped by 2 points, and are now pushing for champions league.

I'm going to cling to the fact we can do this, escape relegation just, and be like Everton/Villa next season. Gives me some hope anyway, we need some.  :-[

Yeah, basically comes down to our managerial situation. Even on limited budgets; team spirit and managerial prowess can work wonders.

Right now our management on every level is doomed to absolute disaster.

We would need a decent manager to get anywhere near the top half. Unless we appoint one we have no chance.

PSG had a good manager though. Dont know if you can take anything from that like.

Im confused. Surely the difference between them and us is that they have a good manager, and we have a shit one.

Or am I being wooooshed!

We would need a decent manager to get anywhere near the top half. Unless we appoint one we have no chance.

PSG had a good manager though. Dont know if you can take anything from that like.

Im confused. Surely the difference between them and us is that they have a good manager, and we have a s*** one.

Or am I being wooooshed!

My point being, they only missed the drop by 3 points WITH a good manager. Not neccesarily all down to the manager.

PSG spent a fair bit of euro in pre-season though didn't they which we won't do. (Makelele, Sessegnon, Kezman and the likes)

To be fair, they were still pretty shit with those players.

:kinnear: I thought you were arguing they were good now?

PSG spent a fair bit of euro in pre-season though didn't they which we won't do. (Makelele, Sessegnon, Kezman and the likes)

To be fair, they were still pretty s*** with those players.

:kinnear: I thought you were arguing they were good now?

Not last season they weren't. They are good this season. Kezman/Makelele didn't go until the summer anyhow.

Im confused. Surely the difference between them and us is that they have a good manager, and we have a s*** one.

Or am I being wooooshed!

My point being, they only missed the drop by 3 points WITH a good manager. Not neccesarily all down to the manager.

Le Guen is proven in the French league. Despite a poor season last year they must have trusted him to get it right eventually. There is no way on earth that Joe "442, come on you cunts, go out and play" Kinnear will do the same for us.

Well when i remembered their situation, it gave me a little hope, they had a better manager, we've got better fans/players in my opinion(than 07/08 PSG). ALso bearing in mind this stemmed from their own not so smooth take over in 2006, and what happened to their bigot fans in the cup game.They only got out of the relegation zone with their last 2 games, our league is just as tight and it could go down to that.

Even if it's just the staying up bit, i don't mind.

What exactly have Toulouse done though? They were good two years ago, but finished like 17th last year. Now they are good again. They have some great talent, but I would not be surprised if some of these players left. Who knows they might be bad again next year.

PSG are a big club. You are right they were a mess last year, but still they stayed up, won another trophy, got into Europe, and invested heavily. As long as they have their house in order, they will compete in Ligue 1. I think Lyon, PSG, Marseille, and Bordeaux have the potential to form an elite.

More likely to do a Metz, I'd wager.

A Metz! How insulting! We'd definitely be more of a Nantes if we went down.

Guest Heneage

Not unless we invest massively and also appoint an accomplished manager. So that's a no then.

While the latter point is justified.

Have you seen PSG lately? They have invested next to nothing in playing staff, bar Stephen Sessengnon who cost about €8m. They have got players like Giuly and Makalele for tiny fee's, Kezman on Loan with a €4m transfer fee if they want to, and a Hoarau on a free.

LeGuen is the major factor in PSG's revival. He has got players like Camara playing really well, along side the physical beast that is Sakho, they have got quite a tight defence. He's also got Rangers reject Jeremy Clement working hard and just doing the simple jobs, Makalele just does what he specializes in tackle, then simple pass to Celement Sessengnon or Rothen. They have pace too, Giuly is still whippet and Sessengnon is really fast.

What exactly have Toulouse done though? They were good two years ago, but finished like 17th last year. Now they are good again. They have some great talent, but I would not be surprised if some of these players left. Who knows they might be bad again next year.

PSG are a big club. You are right they were a mess last year, but still they stayed up, won another trophy, got into Europe, and invested heavily. As long as they have their house in order, they will compete in Ligue 1. I think Lyon, PSG, Marseille, and Bordeaux have the potential to form an elite.

Definitely. Not really any other clubs that would be able to challenge those 4 if they all got there houses in order. Shame Lens went down last season, my preferred French club.

Not unless we invest massively and also appoint an accomplished manager. So that's a no then.

Have you seen PSG lately? They have invested next to nothing in playing staff, bar Stephen Sessengnon who cost about €8m. They have got players like Giuly and Makalele for tiny fee's, Kezman on Loan with a €4m transfer fee if they want to, and a Hoarau on a free.

LeGuen is the major factor in PSG's revival. He has got players like Camara playing really well, along side the physical beast that is Sakho, they have got quite a tight defence. He's also got Rangers reject Jeremy Clement working hard and just doing the simple jobs, Makalele just does what he specializes in tackle, then simple pass to Celement Sessengnon or Rothen. They have pace too, Giuly is still whippet and Sessengnon is really fast.

Makelele, Kezman and Giuly will be on mega bucks compared to many in Ligue Un and €8m is a fairly big wedge for a French club.

Guest Heneage

Makelele, Kezman and Giuly will be on mega bucks compared to many in Ligue Un and €8m is a fairly big wedge for a French club.

If Kezman is a loan I'd guess his wages are shared. And while I agree the money is more over there, it shows that success does not always require bags of money.

Have you seen PSG lately? They have invested next to nothing in playing staff, bar Stephen Sessengnon who cost about 8m. They have got players like Giuly and Makalele for tiny fee's, Kezman on Loan with a 4m transfer fee if they want to, and a Hoarau on a free.

Makelele, Kezman and Giuly will be on mega bucks compared to many in Ligue Un and 8m is a fairly big wedge for a French club.

If Kezman is a loan I'd guess his wages are shared. And while I agree the money is more over there, it shows that success does not always require bags of money.

As you say though it does require a competant manager who is trusted to get things right which is something we don't have.