Newcastle 1 - 2 Manchester United - 04/03/09 - post match reaction from page 18

Dave

our decent performance is as much down to the way man u play as anything else imo. they naturally attack so are open to counter attacks with pace like ours. sorry but i've seen this bunch of players turn out woeful performance after woeful performance against shite opposition that i cant really take many positives from this. we'll roll up at hull, they wont attack anywhere near as much as man u and we'll struggle to break them down.

Partly true, but we didn't wait for Man Utd to attack last night. We took the game to them right from the off, that was one of the best things about it.

Obviously Martins and Lovenkrands are dangerous on the break, but it was more than just that.

our decent performance is as much down to the way man u play as anything else imo. they naturally attack so are open to counter attacks with pace like ours. sorry but i've seen this bunch of players turn out woeful performance after woeful performance against shite opposition that i cant really take many positives from this. we'll roll up at hull, they wont attack anywhere near as much as man u and we'll struggle to break them down.

Partly true, but we didn't wait for Man Utd to attack last night. We took the game to them right from the off, that was one of the best things about it.

Obviously Martins and Lovenkrands are dangerous on the break, but it was more than just that.

it seemed to me that almost all our attacking moments came on the counter though, someone made a good point in the hull match thread that we're a team who relies on the ability of the teams we're playing against to determine how well we're gonna play. that said i still think we'll stay up as we've got players coming back now and we've got a few games at home that are winnable. its vital that we get nolan/guthrie/barton playing well in the middle as i dont think we've got MAJOR problems anywhere else.

our decent performance is as much down to the way man u play as anything else imo. they naturally attack so are open to counter attacks with pace like ours. sorry but i've seen this bunch of players turn out woeful performance after woeful performance against s**** opposition that i cant really take many positives from this. we'll roll up at hull, they wont attack anywhere near as much as man u and we'll struggle to break them down.

it seemed to me that almost all our attacking moments came on the counter though, someone made a good point in the hull match thread that we're a team who relies on the ability of the teams we're playing against to determine how well we're gonna play. that said i still think we'll stay up as we've got players coming back now and we've got a few games at home that are winnable. its vital that we get nolan/guthrie/barton playing well in the middle as i dont think we've got MAJOR problems anywhere else.

The management team.

our decent performance is as much down to the way man u play as anything else imo. they naturally attack so are open to counter attacks with pace like ours. sorry but i've seen this bunch of players turn out woeful performance after woeful performance against s**** opposition that i cant really take many positives from this. we'll roll up at hull, they wont attack anywhere near as much as man u and we'll struggle to break them down.

The management team.

thats a given

Guest palnese

how was the atmosphere? was pretty shit on the telly. especially after the 1-2 goal. Heard the mancs all nite long, and of course the "where's your famous atmosphere" chant.

But then again, could have been the sound on my shit telly.

Guest toonlass

how was the atmosphere? was pretty shit on the telly. especially after the 1-2 goal. Heard the mancs all nite long, and of course the "where's your famous atmosphere" chant.

But then again, could have been the sound on my shit telly.

I thought the atmosphere was alright to be honest. Well it was where I was up in the Level 7 corner.

how was the atmosphere? was pretty s*** on the telly. especially after the 1-2 goal. Heard the mancs all nite long, and of course the "where's your famous atmosphere" chant.

But then again, could have been the sound on my s*** telly.

It wasn't too bad, bits and pieces. The Man U fans only started singing when they went 2-1, but a few brief songs as they equalized.

Definitely glad we didn't disgrace ourselves last night and we looked dangerous at times on the counter. Well Martins and Jonas did anyways. Bassong and Enrique had good games defensively as per usual. Once again we're let down by the rubbish in midfield like Smith and Geremi. Alan Smith really isn't fit to wear the shirt he barely moved all night. Don't get me started on the liability that is Steven Taylor as well btw.

I always felt though however close it was they could have easily stepped it up a couple of gears if needed.

Was quite surprised by their fans as well, I'd rank your their support as one of the best in the league easily, mainly due to the variety of songs and voice. However we didn't really here anything until yous took the lead. And do they not realise the Shearer thing was 13 years ago now? Nobody actually gives a fuck anymore.

Definitely glad we didn't disgrace ourselves last night and we looked dangerous at times on the counter. Well Martins and Jonas did anyways. Bassong and Enrique had good games defensively as per usual. Once again we're let down by the rubbish in midfield like Smith and Geremi. Alan Smith really isn't fit to wear the shirt he barely moved all night. Don't get me started on the liability that is Steven Taylor as well btw.

I always felt though however close it was they could have easily stepped it up a couple of gears if needed.

Was quite surprised by their fans as well, I'd rank your their support as one of the best in the league easily, mainly due to the variety of songs and voice. However we didn't really here anything until yous took the lead. And do they not realise the Shearer thing was 13 years ago now? Nobody actually gives a fuck anymore.

they do

did anyone catch the score centre or whatever it's called on sky sports news during the match?

charlie nicholas was doing the summary of our match, and everytime he talked about oba he pronounced his surname as 'martans' like he's french or something.

boiled my piss, he's nearly as annoying as david pleat  :knuppel2:

True Faith pretty much spot on with their assessment...

Despite Man Utd. playing some very tidy football this season, and being by far the best team in the league, it is still very easy to despise them. With players like Ronaldo, Rooney and Ferdinand in their ranks, it makes them about as likeable as the clap. Not that I’m disputing their talents, they are all just the type of player that riles opposition supporters with their antics. Take Ferdinand for example, always sticking his oar in. He had no right getting involved in the spat between Taylor and the funny looking Portuguese lass on the wing. Bennett quite rightly booked him when other refs would surely have turned a blind eye.

As a whole I think we played pretty well and was really disappointed that we didn’t get a draw. Some might say that they weren’t firing on all cylinders, but I don’t think we let them at times as we really got stuck in and had a go. My good friend Gala commented before the game that we’ve got to go and have a go at them at the start of the game because we cannot sit back and guard a 0-0 for 90 minutes. He was right, and this reaped it’s reward when we took the lead after some shoddy defending and goalkeeping. Our heads t6old us that it wouldn’t last, and it didn’t. But I think we were really unlucky not to come away with anything. The night was pissed on even more when we learnt that Stoke and Hull managed to win, making the next game at Hull so, so crucial if we are to retain our Premier League status.

Their fans…well they’re loud. They have quite a few songs (given that they win a trophy every month, it’s quite easy to make new ones up). Quite why they went for the Alan Shearer ditty is beyond me. Bitter pill to swallow when the greatest English striker of all time turns you down? You’d have thought they would have got over it by now? They even sang Andy Cole songs. Hilarious eh? They forgot the “Fergie Out!” banners they used to decorate Old Trafford and fanzine covers with a few years ago though. Rumour has it a few missiles were being chucked on the folks behind me from Level 7, not for the first time this season. A very funny thing happened outside the stadium. They were all strutting out in their best Madchester walk, when one bloke in a Parker took offence to one of our lot calling him something I couldn’t possibly repeat here. He tried to jump through the police barricade only to bounce of some burly copper and land flat on his arse. Spanner. Whilst they’re annoying, they’re probably the best away fans from London.

5 out of 10 (marks deducted for chucking stuff).

Keep on, Keepin’ On …

Steve Farrell

Ed: Hartlepool Reds? Durham Reds? Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha!

Guest Heneage

did anyone catch the score centre or whatever it's called on sky sports news during the match?

charlie nicholas was doing the summary of our match, and everytime he talked about oba he pronounced his surname as 'martans' like he's french or something.

boiled my piss, he's nearly as annoying as david pleat  :knuppel2:

The fact he didn't even consider Martins our top striker this season shows you all you need to know.

on nufc blog:

Committed Performance From Alan Smith Last Night

Absolutely useless.

But it was?  Until he tired he played solidly.

Cut the guy a break.  I'll be the first to admit he was rubbish last season, but he did a job last night.  At least respect that.

on nufc blog:

Committed Performance From Alan Smith Last Night

Absolutely useless.

But it was?  Until he tired he played solidly.

Cut the guy a break.  I'll be the first to admit he was rubbish last season, but he did a job last night.  At least respect that.

Invincible.

Martins was good tonight, more disciplined. Its weird how both he and Jonas played - pretty much how they played at OT on open day. He held the ball up, made some dare I say it intelligent runs, passed it well, showed some real flashes of skill, was a goal threat and worked hard for the side. Not much more to ask for other than a goal. Remember he was up top alone at many points in the game.

We could go back to Shola like...

him and butt screw our attacks. dont underestimate the effect they have on the play. There was only smith and geremi to fuck up the attack ysterday which they didnt really do so fiar play, and martins was also partly more effective cos he didnt have a shower of shit to work off.

True Faith used to be good, the writers seem like total idiots now though.

Giving Harper a 3 in the match report? (To me basically a dig at the club for selling Given),  Coloccini and Smith a higher score than Jonas, WTF? and giving Ryan Taylor a 1?  :kinnear:  I've never seen a player get a 1 on True Faith before and they've covered numerous games involving Ameobi.

Beggars belief.