Squad after possible relegation (god forbid)

Guest teepee

Guest teepee

With relegation being a real risk, I have started wondering how our squad will look if it really happens (god forbid).

Certain leavers: Coloccini, Owen, Oba, Jonas (someone will have noticed his performances), Løvenkrands (contract runs out, and he is not interested in the Championship)

Likely leavers: Beye (very likely imo), Taylor (has attracted attention before), Bassong, Smith (Boro might take him, but may be hard to get rid of due to wages)

Add to this the players who are out of a contract. Out of these I'd like to see us keep Viduka if he is reasonably fit and wants to stay, he could be great in the championship imo.

This way our wage bill will virtually cuts itself, and it should free up significant funds for a few buys and the wages. Also, players like Kadar, Lualua, Carroll etc. may acutally be good enough for that level, thus leaving us with a reasonably capable squad.

It will, nevertheless, also leave us in a situation where we need to reinforce the squad, especially our attack. We will have to accept that we cannot attract top players, so we need to do some smarter deals for young talents and possibly experienced out-of-favour players.

Off the top of my head, players like Shorey, Harewood, Andreasen, Nugent, Zokora, Rocha, Benjani, Evans, Vassell, Schmeichel etc springs to mind. We may also be able to secure a couple of good loan deals from top teams, like when Brum got Bendtner.

That was just some thoughts about a situation I hope never happens :-)

Guest teepee

Is there a competition to start one of these threads per week now?

ups, sorry if it was already done - i have been away quite a bit lately!

Those who are likely to stay

Butt

Nolan

R.Taylor

Shola

Carroll

Smith

All three would be taken by prem clubs on he cheap, i wouldd go as far as saying Nolan back to Bolton on the cheap.

Add to this the players who are out of a contract. Out of these I'd like to see us keep Viduka if he is reasonably fit and wants to stay, he could be great in the championship imo.

Viduka being reasonably fit would never happen and I couldn't see him wanting to stay if we were relegated (unless it was on the same insane wages which it wouldn't be).

Why does everyone seem so certain that Lovenkrands would go. I get the impression he would jump at the chance of a long-term contract whether we're in the Prem or not.

I also think he's the kind of player that would do very well in the Championship.

Guest teepee

Why does everyone seem so certain that Lovenkrands would go. I get the impression he would jump at the chance of a long-term contract whether we're in the Prem or not.

I also think he's the kind of player that would do very well in the Championship.

it is just the message i got from the interviews with the danish press when he was released, where he was specifically looking to the premiership. he is also looking to get back into the national team, something which will be a lot harder if he plays at a lower level.

but as he is very happy with being close to glasgow, without having to play there, i may be we can convince him to stay. i also think he could be very good in the championship.

Gone:   Beye, Coloccini, Bassong, Cacapa, Enrique, Jonas, Geremi, Barton, Martins, Owen, Viduka

you missed hope, happiness and the will to live :(.  Looking at that list, and it's an accurate if not actually optimistic one ... god. it doesn't bear thinking about.

• 1 month later...

Gone:   Beye, Taylor, Coloccini, Bassong, Cacapa, Enrique, Smith, Guthrie, Duff, Jonas, Geremi, Barton, Martins, Owen, Viduka

Catch them in a black and white shirt whilst you can. To be fair, most of them dont deserve to wear it.

Guest Albert Square

No doubt that cum stain Nicky Butt will still be fucking starting. We are never getting rid of him man.

Our squad if we go down IMO:

Harper

Soderberg

Forster

Krul

R. Taylor

Tozer

Kadar

Edgar

LuaLua

Nolan (?)

Guthrie

Xisco

Ameobi

Baheng

Carroll

Ranger

I think Guthrie is young enough to give it at least a season to see if we come back up, and the Championship is about Nolans level..  I suppose the only good news is our wage bill would drop by about £45 million :lol:

I think I'm the only one who doesn't think everyone will go!

Not sure what sort of financial constraints would be in place but I think we'd at least have a chance of keeping Beye, Bassong S.Taylor and Enrique. If Shearer was in charge, I reckon we ask these players to give us one more year and they could leave if we didn't come up.

With those 4 and Harper behind, we'd be solid enough to come up and with Guthrie, Lua-Lua, Carroll, Lovenkrands, Ranger we'd have a few good young'uns.

Maybe I'm just trying to be optimistic, but Reading and Birmingham managed to hold onto Larsson, Doyle etc, so its not beyond the realms of possibility.

I think the likes of Taylor, Guthrie maybe even Beye and Barton would stay. However we will cash in on most if not the lot of them.

People like Geremi, Nolan, R.Taylor, Smith, maybe even Butt might get snapped up by the lower or new teams in the premiership.

Id like to think we would keep hold of Guthrie/Bassong akin to Brum and Seb Larson.. With the amount of money we will fetch in for the guys we are shipping out we should be able to keep a few if they are willing to stay.

There will be big promises about keeping all our promising and best players like Bassong, but they will either request moves or we will cave in as we always do.

Then the great unwanted like Nolan and Ryan Taylor will have weekly articles praising their commitment to the cause by staying on tyneside.

Alot depends on who is manager. If it is someone fresh or Shearer, I think we might see a complete overhaul, otherwise I fear JFK will cling on to anyone with premiership experience to save a bit of face. (much to the likes of Geremi's relief)

Harper, Krul, Foster,

Edgar, Tozer, R. Taylor, Kadar

Butt, Nolan/guthrie, Vukic (until someone snaps him up in January), Lua Lua.

Ameobi, Carroll, Ranger (until january), Lovenkrands

Is realistically all I can see us being left with. Id expect we will trawl the world market for unknown foreign players whilst throwing our weight around with a sprinkling of expensive up and coming UK championship/Div 1 players that could flop or fly.

It would fucking break my heart to see Oba in another Prem. club. Like seeing your girlfriend with another lad.

Also, there`s no way S. Taylor will stay, nor will Bass Bass. Even thought he hasn`t drawn much attention yet.

It would f***ing break my heart to see Oba in another Prem. club. Like seeing your girlfriend with another lad.

Also, there`s no way S. Taylor will stay, nor will Bass Bass. Even thought he hasn`t drawn much attention yet.

Oba will end up at a top Eastern European club in Greece, Turkey, Ukraine or something rather than a mid-table Premiership club.