Squad after possible relegation (god forbid)

Guest teepee

Guest The Libertine

if it was even slightly possible i'd love to see most of them fuck off. the majority are spineless wasters who have to take a decent amount of blame for the situation we are in.

Every player on a contract with more than 35K a week should be gone or it will hit hard on our already poor financial situation

Removing the majority of them would more then make up for the loss in revenue, IMO if a couple of the better players wanted to stay we should keep them.

Their agents will be telling them they're still Premier League-quality players, and have probably been working on potential transfers for weeks. I honestly wouldn't like to guess who would stay, I think it's impossible to tell.

Guest optimistic nit

i'd really like to see us keep beye and bassong, as unlikely as that sounds, losing enrique and jonas will piss me off the most, apart from those 4 the rest will either stay or are not value for money. i feel a few of our kids could step in quite well though. kazenga should do ok, carroll will be decent although we would need a better striker to partner him, and as i'd like to keep viduka we'd probably need to alternate him with viduka (if we can keep him fit) as those 2 up front for a season could see us relegated from the championship. lovenkrands and viduka/ carroll could work if we can convice him to stay.

kadar, ranger, carroll and kazenga will all be squad players or better next season if we are relegated.

We'll most likely be playing this year's reserve team with some Championship journeymen thrown in to make up the numbers. (Plus Duff, Smith, Butt, and Ameobi who we're no doubt stuck with for all eternity)

A lot rests on whether the likes of Carroll/Lua Lua/Kadar are ready to step up.

Add to this the players who are out of a contract. Out of these I'd like to see us keep Viduka if he is reasonably fit and wants to stay, he could be great in the championship imo.

Viduka being reasonably fit would never happen and I couldn't see him wanting to stay if we were relegated (unless it was on the same insane wages which it wouldn't be).

Re: Viduka.

To borrow an Oliver'ism, the word on the grapevine is that he's currently being courted by clubs in Australia.

Thinking about it, there are very few players that I would be gutted to see leave.

Oba - Its the character, the unpredictability, will miss him.

Bassong - A beast, cant see him staying though, he will certainly have suitors to prize him away, even if he wanted to stay.

Guthrie - See alot of potential in him, like Bassong a player to build the team around in coming years

Enrique - Think he is really up for the fight, has talent just needs games

Beye - Absolute legend. Actually think he would stay, he loves the area and is winding down anyway

Barton - Despite everything, I really do think he will turn everything around, that said  similar with Bowyer, who had proven more.

Other than that I wouldnt bat an eyelid at anyone else leaving. All things considered if we should stay up I wouldnt mind panning everyone else bar these and a couple of others anyway.

Bar Oba there is an outside chance of keeping most of those players and they would make a solid spine.

The likes of Lovenkrands, Ranger, Vukic, Edgar, Butt, Taylor, Carroll, Baheng, Tozer and Kadar would all more than likely stay on.

The main problem would be attracting the right players to fill up the gaping holes we would have in the squad. Sure we will attract players, but maybe not enough of the right ones to take us back up and if that happens we will lose the majority of the good players we have left.

Nightmare situation really.

gone:

enrique, taylor (s), jonas, colo, duff*, smith*, owen, oba, viduka, sholagoals, crapcapa

questionable:

butt*, nolan*, beye, mcloven, taylor ®

stay:

harper, guthrie, carroll, edgar & the other bairns like ranger, lua lua etc....

the * denotes players where wages vs performances will be the factor imo, i.e. we'd desperately like to get rid but might not be able to because of wages and fees being prohibitive

either way i can see no more than having to sign cheap lower league dogs to replace the holes, plus some well placed strategic loans and playing the bairns

gonna be a rough ride boys and girls

This is my prediction, made a couple of weeks back....

The starting eleven for Newcastle vs Blackpool on the opening day of next season

GK - Harper

RB - Taylor

CB - Edgar (will be signed up to a new contract within 48 hours of relegation being confirmed)

CB - FPP

LB - FPP

RW - FPP

CM - Butt (Club Captain)

CM - Lua Lua

LW - FPP (or possibly Duff if we can't give him away)

CF - Caroll

CF - Ameobi

FPP - Fizzy Pop Player, could be anyone from the 'Championship' downwards.

Away, in order of leaving the sinking ship in Uncle Mike's Fire Sale

Owen - Free, to Wigan

Viduka - Free, to the pie shop

Smith - Nominal Fee, to some idiot coming up

Jonas, 4m (given up trying to guess where they're going)

Barton - 1.5m

Collocini - 5m

Guthrie - 2m

S Taylor - 2.5m

Nolan - 2.5m

Enrique - 3m

Beye - 1.5m

Martins 7m

Bassong - 6m

Duff - Free transfer, if we can give him away

Cacapa - Will turn up for the first day of pre-season, hoping nobody realises his contract is up

Daft question, but...

How exactly do relegation release clauses work? I mean, lets say Smith has a clause that if we get relegated he can leave for £1m, who the fuck is gonna pay him £70k a week - he would just stay with us surely? Or do we get into a Leeds situation where he plays for another team but we pay half his wages?

Or, does the clause say "if we get relegated, your wage drops to £10k a week.

Daft question, but...

How exactly do relegation release clauses work? I mean, lets say Smith has a clause that if we get relegated he can leave for £1m, who the fuck is gonna pay him £70k a week - he would just stay with us surely? Or do we get into a Leeds situation where he plays for another team but we pay half his wages?

Or, does the clause say "if we get relegated, your wage drops to £10k a week.

this is what worries me, big time - there was a story a while back about a lot of our squad not having relegation clauses inserted into their contracts that were dismissed by a lot of people on here

given that most of the contracts were handed out by a regime that were very gung-ho on wages (and the ineptitude of this regime to date) i'd be very interested to know how many have clauses in that reduce wages in the event of relegation

my guess is not many

maybe this is ashleys masterplan to finally get rid of shola??  after years of trying to pry the leach of our main artery. The stub of a championship ciggy might prove too much!!

The silver lining?

And the 3 year extension to his expiring contract fits into the master plan how?

Than again, this is a Mike Ashley masterplan were talking about...

Thinking about it, there are very few players that I would be gutted to see leave.

Oba - Its the character, the unpredictability, will miss him.

Bassong - A beast, cant see him staying though, he will certainly have suitors to prize him away, even if he wanted to stay.

Guthrie - See alot of potential in him, like Bassong a player to build the team around in coming years

Enrique - Think he is really up for the fight, has talent just needs games

Beye - Absolute legend. Actually think he would stay, he loves the area and is winding down anyway

Barton - Despite everything, I really do think he will turn everything around, that said  similar with Bowyer, who had proven more.

Other than that I wouldnt bat an eyelid at anyone else leaving. All things considered if we should stay up I wouldnt mind panning everyone else bar these and a couple of others anyway.

Bar Oba there is an outside chance of keeping most of those players and they would make a solid spine.

The likes of Lovenkrands, Ranger, Vukic, Edgar, Butt, Taylor, Carroll, Baheng, Tozer and Kadar would all more than likely stay on.

The main problem would be attracting the right players to fill up the gaping holes we would have in the squad. Sure we will attract players, but maybe not enough of the right ones to take us back up and if that happens we will lose the majority of the good players we have left.

Nightmare situation really.

Pretty much agree with that statement. it is really going to depend on who is our manager, next season as if he can find the right players to fill in the gaps. a good manager will be able to bring the right players to the club.

Guest Phil K

Well - Ashley wanted a team on the cheap - problem will be the attendances will more than halve (still among the biggest in the Championship-shows what a criminal job he's done to us)

Why does everyone seem so certain that Lovenkrands would go. I get the impression he would jump at the chance of a long-term contract whether we're in the Prem or not.

I also think he's the kind of player that would do very well in the Championship.

it is just the message i got from the interviews with the danish press when he was released, where he was specifically looking to the premiership. he is also looking to get back into the national team, something which will be a lot harder if he plays at a lower level.

but as he is very happy with being close to glasgow, without having to play there, i may be we can convince him to stay. i also think he could be very good in the championship.

He is not good enough to hold a regular first place in the Pl, i think. He could be alright in the championship....and i think he would stay if we wanted him. Close to glasgow, regular first team football could still earn him call up for the national team. And he would think we only in the championship for 1 season.

Duff still plays for Ireland, doesn't he? He'd probably want to stay in the Premiership. We won't get rid of Butt, Smith, Ameobi and Ryan Taylor, though.

Hopefully, Llambias will have the decency to resign. Not doing so would be an insult.

Should be looking at season long loanees.

Barazite, Wilshere, Simpson, Manucho, Campbell, Eckersley, Macheda, Cathcart, Plessis for example.

Wouldn't cost anything aside from small wages and would be miles better than what we will be left with.

Barazite, Wilshere, Simpson, Manucho, Campbell, Eckersley, Macheda, Cathcart, Plessis for example.

Wouldn't cost anything aside from small wages and would be miles better than what we will be left with.

If we do go down as it looks like. Who ever is the manager he will have to use the loan system to its maximum. We should be able to attract some good youngsters from the so called big boys; it will provide them with the experience of playing for a club very much in the spot light, and under pressure to win most games.

Guest LucaAltieri

If we do go down as it looks like. Who ever is the manager he will have to use the loan system to its maximum. We should be able to attract some good youngsters from the so called big boys; it will provide them with the experience of playing for a club very much in the spot light, and under pressure to win most games.

Which will be fantastic getting us promoted again... until they return to their clubs and we're left with bugger all once again.

Guest LucaAltieri

Rather than loan deals, if when we go down we need to rebuild the team (well, midfield) almost from scratch. I'd like us to bring in a handful of cheap players from lower leagues elsewhere in the hope of unearthing a gem. Serie B in particular has some fantastic players due to some big teams (Empoli, Parma, etc) being stuck down there.

One player I'd like us to bring in if/when we go down is Pedro Kamata. Currently plays for Bari who top Serie B. Angolan international. Really quick and direct right winger. Falls to pieces in front of goal so can't really be deployed in a striker role. He's played for various clubs in the French and Italian lower leagues and has become a mainstay in the Bari team over the least couple of seasons and he's a big reason they'll be going to Serie A next season.

That might make him difficult to get a hold of, but Bari aren't a team with fantastic finances, and they will be one of the favourites for the drop again next season, so we might be able to tempt him to come to the club.

If we can get a hold a of a few players like Kamata (cheap, hungry, proven even in scrapy leagues) we'll stand a chance of bouncing straight back up.