Squad after possible relegation (god forbid)

Guest teepee

Daft question, but...

How exactly do relegation release clauses work? I mean, lets say Smith has a clause that if we get relegated he can leave for £1m, who the f*** is gonna pay him £70k a week - he would just stay with us surely? Or do we get into a Leeds situation where he plays for another team but we pay half his wages?

Or, does the clause say "if we get relegated, your wage drops to £10k a week.

Why care about wages now?  Its this looking at the figures rather than the team that has got us into this situation in the first place imho.

One of the biggest mistakes this season was not bringing in the promising young English players that Kinnear was mouthing off about when slagging Enrique and Xisco. Not that I'm fussed if they are  English but I was expecting us  to go for young, hungry talent, not players like Nolan who are clapped out at 26. I don't know if he smokes 40 cigs a day or drinks 8 cans a night but he runs like it.

One of the biggest mistakes this season was not bringing in the promising young English players that Kinnear was mouthing off about when slagging Enrique and Xisco. Not that I'm fussed if they are  English but I was expecting us  to go for young, hungry talent, not players like Nolan who are clapped out at 26. I don't know if he smokes 40 cigs a day or drinks 8 cans a night but he runs like it.

Ryan Taylor?

Daft question, but...

How exactly do relegation release clauses work? I mean, lets say Smith has a clause that if we get relegated he can leave for £1m, who the f*** is gonna pay him £70k a week - he would just stay with us surely? Or do we get into a Leeds situation where he plays for another team but we pay half his wages?

Or, does the clause say "if we get relegated, your wage drops to £10k a week.

Why care about wages now?  Its this looking at the figures rather than the team that has got us into this situation in the first place imho.

So you dont think wages would be a consideration in the Championship?

Ryan Taylor?

Does he qualify as young talent? Were any other significant clubs chasing his signature? I was thinking more the Giles Barnes or Gareth Bales types. Not that either would be gret signings but at least they were highly thought of at some point.

Didn't want to start a new thread here, so hijacking this one for a sec. Just read that Lua Lua has only managed 47 mins of play time in total during his loan. Seems like a growing thing with our fringe players, you see them drop down a league or two in a loan, expecting them to flourish at the lower level, only to fail miserably. Carrol, Shola and joined now by Lua Lua. Are our youngsters even capable of competing in the championship next season ?

Anyone know how Gio dos Santos has been doing in the Championship? Creative mid with potential for cheap maybe?

Scored on the weekend in the East Anglia derby

Sign him. He'll be cheap and maybr not that crap.

He's quite good and won't be cheap at all. I mean since when are 19 year olds with double digit caps for a major international nation cheap?

Anyone know how Gio dos Santos has been doing in the Championship? Creative mid with potential for cheap maybe?

Scored on the weekend in the East Anglia derby

Sign him. He'll be cheap and maybr not that crap.

He's quite good and won't be cheap at all. I mean since when are 19 year olds with double digit caps for a major international nation cheap?

I just assumed he'd be one of the players Arry would be shifting in the summer due to not breaking into the team.

Those that will go

Owen

Martins

Colo

Bassong

Jonas

Viduka

Enrique

Beye

Duff

Lovenkrands

S.Taylor

Those who are likely to stay

Butt

Nolan

R.Taylor

Shola

Carroll

Smith

That is so close to being about right imho.

Owen - Second-tier Premiership club willing to take a chance (Everton, City, Villa, etc)

Martins - Big Eastern European club (Fenerbahce, Besiktas, Galatasaray, Panathinaikos, etc)

Coloccini - Any La Liga club outside Real Madrid & Barcelona

Bassong - Arsenal or top French club

Beye - Top French club (Lyon, PSG, Marseille)

Jonas - (see Coloccini)

Enrique - Mid-sized La Liga club (Real Betis, Villarreal, etc)

Viduka - Australian club

S.Taylor - Mid-table Premiership club (Fulham, Spurs, etc)

Guest optimistic nit

i really cant see jonas going back to spain tbh. i think bassong and enrique will stay in the PL as well. just because they came from spain/france it doesn't mean they'll go back there, i think most of our players will find premier league clubs that will want them, martins will probably go abroad though.

• 3 weeks later...
Saving a relegated Newcastle - Gabriel Marcotti, The Times

Would it really be such a tragedy for Newcastle fans if the club went down? I don't think so, not if you believe that the club can only go forward once Mike Ashley sells the club.

Imagine you're a prospective buyer. You have, say, £300 million to spend. If Newcastle are in the top-flight, it will probably cost you somewhere north of £200m to buy the club, leaving £100m to spend on the playing squad.

But if Newcastle were relegated, it would be worth less money. A lot less, probably no more than £100m to £120m. That's how the economics of football tend to work, once you're out of the Premier League, you're worth a lot less, because you don't enjoy that fat TV contract. Of course, if that were the case, you, the prospective buyer, could snap up the club for between £100m and £120m and then have between £180m and £200m to spend on the squad. And that's a fair whack of cash with which to rebuild the team.

Even without a new buyer, relegation wouldn't necessarily spell disaster for Newcastle. Here are some useful things you might want to do if you're Newcastle and you go down this summer:

- Let Peter Lovenkrands, Mark Viduka, Claudio Cacapa and, especially, Michael Owen leave on a free. They're all out of contract in June and their departures will save you more than £15m.

- David Edgar is out of contract too. Might as well keep him around if you think he can help, he won't cost much.

- Your main problem is that your better players may want to leave. You probably won't be able to hang on to some of them, especially if they're foreign. Obafemi Martins will probably have to go, but he should fetch some £10m, plus you'll save around £3m on his wages. You should probably sell Habib Beye as well. He's a very good fullback, but you can get some money for him now, whereas you won't get anything at the end of next season since his contract expires in 2010 (and you sure as heck don't want to renew it now). You should get £1m for him (he's thirty-one after all), while saving yourself £1m in wages.

- Steven Taylor will stick around since he loves Newcastle, and you've got Edgar too. Sebastian Bassong is a legitimate footballer, he's twenty-two and has a contract through 2011. If you're clever, you can persuade him to not ask for a transfer and, instead, sell him on your long term plans for the club. You should try to move Fabricio Coloccini as well (I doubt he'll want to play in the Championship). It may have to be on loan as his wages will scare off a few clubs and you probably don't want to take a massive loss given that you spent a fair bit of money on him. But a loan will do, you get his £2.5m wages off your books (more savings) and, hopefully, put him in a shop window somewhere. With Taylor, Bassong and Edgar (plus, of course, Steve Harper, who, loyal as ever, has already extended his deal and isn't going elsewhere) you've got the makings of a decent back five. You'll need a leftback: Jose Enrique is not everyone's cup of tea, but, he's still young and you may yet find a taker, even on loan. Or you may choose to keep him around. He's not on massive money. That said, you'll want to bring in two defenders to add some depth.

- In midfield, Nicky Butt has a year left on his contract. Yes, he's ancient, but he's dependable and up for a challenge and gives you some experience. Keep him and keep Danny Guthrie. You need some steel at that level. Kevin Nolan will probably find some takers in the Premier League. If your manager likes him and can persuade him to stay, then keep him, if not, move him one, you'll get £3 or £4m for him and get his wages off your books. Jonas Gutierrez seems to enjoy himself on Tyneside, he can be very effective in the Championship. If not, sell him, you'll get Nolan-type money for him. Ryan Taylor is unassuming and relatively young, no reason to get rid of him (especially since he doesn't make a lot of money). Geremi will be a year away from gong on a free, no reason to keep him around, take whatever you can get and move on. Ideally, you'd do the same for Alan Smith, except he has a huge contract which runs through 2012 which basically makes him impossible to sell (unless you sell him to a fool, which is always a possiblity). Odds are, you're stuck with him. Damien Duff is a slightly different issue. He's thirty and makes big money (with two years left) but he probably will find takers. You should get around £4m for him, take it and enjoy the £2.5m a year savings. As for Joey Barton, unless he goes back to prison or you get some really clever lawyers who can cancel his contract, you're stuck with him. Keep him around as a reminder not to repeat the mistakes of the past.

Do all that and you're left with Guthrie, Butt, Ryan Taylor and, possibly, Smith, Gutierrez and/or Nolan. Could be better, could be worse. You probably just need one more quality signing (two, possibly three if Nolan and/or Gutierrez leave).

- Up front, with Viduka, Lovenkrands, Owen and, likely, Martins gone, you'll need bodies. Shola Ameobi and Andy Carroll deserve a shot at this level, but they'll need help. Invest in two strikers: an up-and-comer with a sizeable upside and a proven veteran who regularly scores goals in the Championship (a Kevin Phillips type, though, obviously, not him).

- You'll still have some flotsam and jetsam on your books - Nacho Gonzalez, Xisco, etc - but, if you followed the above recipe just in terms of departing players, you will have brought in around £18m, while saving yourself between £20m and £25m in wages. That's roughly a third of your total wage bill.

- You'll still have the parachute payment, you'll have a spine which can more than hold its own at Championship level, you'll still sell out every week. Now if only you could sort out your managerial situation and, possibly, find the kind of buyer who will kick Ashley into touch once and for all...

That would be my sort of plan if i was playing on FM. I bet Nicky Butt is on more money than Beye yet he says we should sell Beye as his contract is up in 2010 yet keep Butt even though his contract will be up then as well.

If we start with thsi I'd be confident of coming back up                                 

Harps

Raylor        Saylor                  Bassong      Jose

Jonas        Butt                    Guthrie        New

New/Ranger        New/Carroll

I'd like to see us get Beckford if we go down.

Agree with that, particularly if Leeds don't go up. He's surely worth a shot after 34 goals in 40 appearances in the league below. I think he'd fancy it too.

Agree with that, particularly if Leeds don't go up. He's surely worth a shot after 34 goals in 40 appearances in the league below. I think he'd fancy it too.

Aye plus I reckon he'll develop into a decent prem striker eventually, bed him in in the Championshit and try and get him to form a decent partnership with someone like Ranger or another new young striker, then when we do go up we'll have a good little strikeforce which knows how to play as a unit.