Bassong admits Arsenal interest

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest sicko2ndbest

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/15812/Bassong_admits_Arsenal_could_turn_his_head.aspx

Sebastien Bassong has hinted that if Arsenal were interested in attaining his signature he would be interested in swapping St James Park for the Emirates. The versatile defender moved to Newcastle from French Ligue 2 side Metz and has grown in stature this season and become a mainstay at the heart of Joe Kinnear’s side.

Newcastle are reportedly keen to extend the contract of the 22-year-old but it now appears that the youngster’s head may have been turned by Arsene Wenger interest.

Speaking to Foot Mercato Bassong admitted, “Newcastle want to make me sign a contract extension, indeed. I’m waiting to see what they’re going to offer me.

“My agent quickly told me about Arsenal’s interest. But it’s not the moment to speak about it. I must be focused on my football and on the end of the season, we will see what happens then.

“At the moment I’m 100 percent focused on Newcastle and I don’t see any reason why this would change.

“But I would lie if I said that Arsenal are not a club I’m interested in. But many things can happen before we can speak about a transfer.”

Guest Stephen927

No surprise really.

Least we could do is sort out his contract, the kid is on nowt compared to the likes of Taylor.

If Arsenal come in for him and he wants to go it is hardly a 'foul up'.  It is an indictment that at the moment our players would jump at the chance of going to Arsenal.  However, in this case the club don't seem to have done much wrong.  Sign young player for next to nowt, play him and he's a hit, offer him new contract.  All sounds fine to me.  indeed it is good news that we're spotting good un's, rather than waiting for others to find them and then paying over the odds.  if he leaves he leaves, but the money should be used to buy 5 more such players - hopefully a couple of them would be top drawer too. 

If Arsenal come in for him and he wants to go it is hardly a 'foul up'.  It is an indictment that at the moment our players would jump at the chance of going to Arsenal.  However, in this case the club don't seem to have done much wrong.  Sign young player for next to nowt, play him and he's a hit, offer him new contract.  All sounds fine to me.  indeed it is good news that we're spotting good un's, rather than waiting for others to find them and then paying over the odds.  if he leaves he leaves, but the money should be used to buy 5 more such players - hopefully a couple of them would be top drawer too. 

I really have to say this. You are advocating the club becomes a feeder club again ? Do you think Newcastle are a big club or a small club ?

I really have to say this. You are advocating the club becomes a feeder club again ? Do you think Newcastle are a big club or a small club ?

There's not much you can do if the top clubs come in really.  Were we a feeder club when we sold Woodgate to Real?

There's not much you can do if the top clubs come in really.  Were we a feeder club when we sold Woodgate to Real?

Real Madrid are one of the worlds biggest clubs if not the biggest. Its a vast difference. You tell me how many players in recent years have wanted to leave the club and how many times we have been used or seen as a stepping stone to one of the "top clubs" as he says. Warren Barton is an Arsenal supporter and he chose us before Arsenal. People such as him and Rob Lee are both cockney lads but neither saw any other club for them but here once they were here.

To suggest we should bring on kids and develop them to make a profit by selling them on for a profit is straight back to the 1970's and 1980's. What we are seeing now from this club is stepping back in time to those days with scenarios like this.

I'm not going to explain this further. If you don't understand or don't want to, fine.

not sure of his contract situation, is it just till end of this season?

Good question. All we had was this: http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1354777,00.html

Well, when people are talking about contract renewals, Bassong isn't mentioned. He also would probably mention "my contracts up at the end of the season" in that interview. I'd assume he is on a 2 or 3 year deal.

.com just says "tbc" on contract length.

Real Madrid are one of the worlds biggest clubs if not the biggest. Its a vast difference. You tell me how many players in recent years have wanted to leave the club and how many times we have been used or seen as a stepping stone to one of the "top clubs" as he says. Warren Barton is an Arsenal supporter and he chose us before Arsenal. People such as him and Rob Lee are both cockney lads but neither saw any other club for them but here once they were here.

To suggest we should bring on kids and develop them to make a profit by selling them on for a profit is straight back to the 1970's and 1980's. What we are seeing now from this club is stepping back in time to those days with scenarios like this.

I'm not going to explain this further. If you don't understand or don't want to, fine.

That was years ago when we were a force. At this point in time we are pretty much a nothing club in a relegation scrap with a questionable manager and a board that probably doesn't want to be here. So you tell me why its a surprise that players want to leave our club for the likes of Arsenal who are one of the top 10 in the world.

not sure of his contract situation, is it just till end of this season?

Good question. All we had was this: http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1354777,00.html

Well, when people are talking about contract renewals, Bassong isn't mentioned. He also would probably mention "my contracts up at the end of the season" in that interview. I'd assume he is on a 2 or 3 year deal.

.com just says "tbc" on contract length.

Aye, first place I checked. :pow:

Guest The Libertine

keegan called him "one for the future" so a one year deal would make no sense if he's saying that.

Guest Heneage

Wenger's not attempted a Redknapp has he? Stating how he loves the player and if he was available etc.

keegan called him "one for the future" so a one year deal would make no sense if he's saying that.

Aye, that too.

I'd be highly surprised if his contract is up this season.

Guest johnson293

Lets hope we can get this sorted and offer him a decent deal.

Otherwise, could we potentially have another N'Zogbia on our hands??!!

Guest Heneage

Lets hope we can get this sorted and offer him a decent deal.

Otherwise, could we potentially have another N'Zogbia on our hands??!!

Harsh on Bassong, he's actually backing up his claims of having talent.

Agents are absolute scum, complete shit stirrers.

Seb should keep his mouth shut at this point of the season.

NE5 is right about this club though, I know players will want to join bigger clubs but while we have players under contract we should tell them in no uncertain terms that they're staying. We'll never build a top side again if we let the likes of Bassong leave so quickly.