2010 World Cup

Shearer9

I recently got back from 6 months studying in South Africa and I've decided that I'm going to try and go back with a few friends for the world cup next year.  You can buy team specific tickets that allow you to follow one team through the tournament, or you can attempt to get single game tickets.  I'm not sure exactly how I want to do it yet, most of  the games are in the north so I was just thinking  about sticking in that area for most of the tournament. 

I feel like I have a good gauge of how much living expenses will be while we're in the country, planning to stay in hostels and eat/drink pretty cheaply.  I wonder though, if there will be any market on the ground for tickets, and whether or not scalping will be bad, or if you'll be able to get cheap tickets outside the stadia.  Anyway, if anyone has been to a world cup and seen price inflation on things like food, booze, lodging, or plane tickets, or has any idea what the local market will be for tickets in South Africa, I'd be interested to hear your views.

I live in Berlin, and didn't notice any inflation of food or booze prices for World Cup 2006. In fact, my local gave a free beer to everyone in the place, regulars and visitors alike, every time Germany were playing. I didn't try to buy any tickets outside the stadium, but a friend of mine got into several group matches that way, and didn't have to pay massively over the odds.

If you've just come back from 6 months in SA perhaps you could tell us about the safety situation - I was on the understanding Jo'burg was the #1 murder capital in the world...?

I spent the entire time in Grahamstown, which is in the Eastern Cape near Port Elizabeth.  Pretty safe place, mostly petty crime apart from the occasional rape.  I felt really safe for the week I spent in Cape Town, Durban is a pretty dodgy place though, I actually went to the rugby stadium which is right next to the new football stadium and that area seemed pretty safe, but there are parts of Durban that I wouldn't have felt safe walking around in at night alone.

I didn't actually goto Joburg but I knew some people who did and some people who lived there, and they seemed to get through it ok.  Apparently South Africa are hiring literally tens of thousands of new police to cover the tournament, most of whom I imagine will be stationed in the north.  They're also trying to move people out of slums that are near inner cities (possible human rights violations here, similar to China for the Olympics), but I just get the feeling that South Africa really want to make a good impression now that  they're on the world stage.  That may mean negative things for poor locals, but I'm convinced that I can make a 3 week trip there, have a really good time, and be safe while doing it.  Plus it will be cheap compared to Germany and the people speak English. 

And yes, they are selling 4 categories of tickets, only 3 of which can be bought by foreigners.  The 4th category is really cheap and only for locals.  My guess is that they're doing this because all of the rich white people with money are obsessed with rugby and aren't going to be too jazzed up for the football. 

When I went to Korea/Japan 2002, you could buy tickets for specific cities. So we (family) bought 4 tickets for every match that was played in one city. Ended up seeing 3 matches in that city and travelled to Seoul for an extra match. The feeling in the country during the WC was amazing.

Yeah, I have a feeling like there's gonna be a massive party atmosphere.  I think we're planning to do a Cape Town-PE-Grahamstown-Durban-JoBurg type trip, with a visit to one of those other northern venues between Durban and JoBurg, reckon it'll cost about $4500-5000 US.

If you've just come back from 6 months in SA perhaps you could tell us about the safety situation - I was on the understanding Jo'burg was the #1 murder capital in the world...?

I spent the entire time in Grahamstown, which is in the Eastern Cape near Port Elizabeth.  Pretty safe place, mostly petty crime apart from the occasional rape.  I felt really safe for the week I spent in Cape Town, Durban is a pretty dodgy place though, I actually went to the rugby stadium which is right next to the new football stadium and that area seemed pretty safe, but there are parts of Durban that I wouldn't have felt safe walking around in at night alone.

I didn't actually goto Joburg but I knew some people who did and some people who lived there, and they seemed to get through it ok.  Apparently South Africa are hiring literally tens of thousands of new police to cover the tournament, most of whom I imagine will be stationed in the north.  They're also trying to move people out of slums that are near inner cities (possible human rights violations here, similar to China for the Olympics), but I just get the feeling that South Africa really want to make a good impression now that  they're on the world stage.  That may mean negative things for poor locals, but I'm convinced that I can make a 3 week trip there, have a really good time, and be safe while doing it.  Plus it will be cheap compared to Germany and the people speak English. 

And yes, they are selling 4 categories of tickets, only 3 of which can be bought by foreigners.  The 4th category is really cheap and only for locals.  My guess is that they're doing this because all of the rich white people with money are obsessed with rugby and aren't going to be too jazzed up for the football. 

:lol:

[not laughing at rape before anyone starts, more the matter of fact way it's reported above...]

To be fair, the rape was more down to the fact that students at this particular Uni consumed more alcohol per week than almost anywhere else in the world and had massive nights out 4 nights a week, so 19 year olds + shitloads of alcohol = some sexually related crimes.

I hate the off years. :(

Not much on this summer, last year was class with Euros,Rugby WC and Olympics.

Only really that pretend world cup thing (forget the name) and the Ashes on off the top of my head

• 1 month later...

I'm starting to look forward to this. I'll be in South America at the time so it should be fucking craaayzeeeeeeh!!

Likewise, my friend is getting married on a safari a week before the WC and I am the best man so I will be there and we are doing the honeymoon @ the WC because he can get free tickets through his company.  Really looking forward to it.

South Africa is two hours ahead of Britain I think. (Don't know how savings time and all those things play in.)

During British Summer Time they are only 1 hour ahead, they don't have any daylight saving time etc.

I'm starting to look forward to this. I'll be in South America at the time so it should be f***ing craaayzeeeeeeh!!

It's in South Africa mate.  :pow:

:razz:

I know that.

Dont get smart with me, you.  :shifty:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Phil K

I live in Berlin, and didn't notice any inflation of food or booze prices for World Cup 2006. In fact, my local gave a free beer to everyone in the place, regulars and visitors alike, every time Germany were playing. I didn't try to buy any tickets outside the stadium, but a friend of mine got into several group matches that way, and didn't have to pay massively over the odds.

Aye, but you're talking about the Germans, not greedy rip-off British