Saddam to hang - official.

Crumpy Gunt

Headline in the Sunday/Monday papers - 'SADDAM TO HANG'.  Congressional elections in the US on Tuesday.  What good timing for Bush & the Republicans.  Funny how that worked out.

Still, I doubt it will make a difference to anyone.  I don't buy the argument that this will martyr him.  The 'insurgency' aren't and never were Baathists - why should they care if a secular, despotic tosspot like Saddam gets killed. 

Though Saddam deserves his fate this trial shouldn't have happened until Iraq was fully autonimous and no foriegn forces were on its soil. Only then could credibility be behind the judgement.

An American puppet trial will do nothing for the longer term future of Iraq.

Guest Redcar Mag

Is Iraq going to stay as one country or would it make more sense to break it down into a few autonomous states with the various groups that are hell-bent on killing each other having a part each?

Guest nufcandy

Makes the new regime no better than the old one.

rids the world of a prick though that killed innocent people...his innocent people

Guest Ridzuan

rids the world of a prick though that killed innocent people...his innocent people

So Bush and Blair will be following him onto the gallows eh?

Mr Bush and Mr Blair are completely two different leaders from Saddam.They are nice guy not like Saddam.Back to the topic,I was really pleased when I heard this news.Saddam was a big terrorist who have cause many innocent lives.He doesnt deserve to live and deserve to rot in hell for his evil doings.Goodbye Saddam,we will not miss you.

So Bush and Blair will be following him onto the gallows eh?

Mr Bush and Mr Blair are completely two different leaders from Saddam.They are nice guy not like Saddam.Back to the topic,I was really pleased when I heard this news.Saddam was a big terrorist who have cause many innocent lives.He doesnt deserve to live and deserve to rot in hell for his evil doings.Goodbye Saddam,we will not miss you.

Bollocks. They're motivated by pretty similar egomania and dubious moral values. Kangaroo court sanctioned killings will only harvest further deaths of innocent people - and like Chicago Shearer said - funny how this is so conveniently timed for the congressional elections in the USA. :roll:

Guest Ridzuan

Of course its conveniently timed for the congressional elections in the USA.Lets face it.Most Americans hate Saddam and would want him dead.So Mr Bush,a smart man of course had a plan to gain more support from the American people by giving the verdict on Saddam today,not long before the election which will be a huge advantage for his Republican party.But honestly,I think the Republicans will win the election whether Saddam is hang today,or tomorrow or any other days.

I'm not in favour of the death penalty but there can be NO  doubt that he is an evil killer - hell not even Hitler killed people with his own hands - which Saddam did to members of his own family FFS

There can be no doubt that he was responsible for the crimes on which he was charged

Any trial for War Crimes is, by definition, winners justice but are we supposed to sit back and do nowt?

At least he was tried in Iraq by Iraqi's - maybe it was a bit rough and ready but he HAD a trial - unlike most of teh people he killed and even people like Ceauscescu

Trouble is he'll probably escape tonight..............

Guest Magnetic North

Telling words from Rob W. “not even Hitler killed people with his own hands - which Saddam did to members of his own family FFS”

His hanging will be a truly pleasing Christmas present for millions of people. Amazing -  a simple length of rope for Christmas can provide such joy.

Since the War Crimes justice department is in full form, Bush, Blair, Cheney and Rumsfeld next, followed by Chavez and a host of African leaders? I wonder what number Kim Jong Il would come in after Musharraf, maybe it's not his time yet as he still hasn't illegally invaded another country. Yet.  tongue.gif

Telling words from Rob W. “not even Hitler killed people with his own hands - which Saddam did to members of his own family FFS”

His hanging will be a truly pleasing Christmas present for millions of people. Amazing -  a simple length of rope for Christmas can provide such joy.

I should of course say that Hitler DID kill people with his own hands in WW1 (where he was fighting right opposite me old grandad) but  that wasn't quite the same.............. 

Guest optimistic nit

I'm not in favour of the death penalty but there can be NO doubt that he is an evil killer - hell not even Hitler killed people with his own hands - which Saddam did to members of his own family FFS

There can be no doubt that he was responsible for the crimes on which he was charged

Any trial for War Crimes is, by definition, winners justice but are we supposed to sit back and do nowt?

At least he was tried in Iraq by Iraqi's - maybe it was a bit rough and ready but he HAD a trial - unlike most of teh people he killed and even people like Ceauscescu

Trouble is he'll probably escape tonight..............

but does that make him more or less (for want of a better work) evil? blueconfused.gif

Tricky subject when you talk about the authority to kill someone, even if it is someone as evil as saddam. The truth is there is no right or wrong answer when it comes to the death penalty. Should anyone ever get the choice over someone elses life, if so where do you stop? However, if you were to ask me what Saddam deserves, i believe he's lucky to get away with a simple hanging.

Do you think it will be televised? No doubt someone will have a camcorder for such a historic moment.