If we go down, how will you watch us next season?

ChezGiven

For those who have signed up for 3 years and dont plan to pay back the discount, i presume the answer will the stadium. For the other season ticket holders, its a questions of renewal or not?

For the SKy / Setanta / online stream / dodgy pub broadcast watchers in the north east, i wonder what will happen?

At the moment, there are loads of ways to watch us because the foreign TV companies cover most games and a lot of people go to pubs in the north east to watch broadcasts from abroad. Others find the games online. You may not be able to watch every game but the combination of Satellite, Cable and Overseas media means you can get your Newcastle fix for a very high percentage of games without going to the stadium. From talking to people and from going to pubs for 3pm kick-offs on saturday etc, its clear a lot of people in the north east follow Newcastle without going to the match.

If we are in the championship, will there be any games broadcasted (sic) from overseas? How many games per season does an average championship side get on sky / setanta?

If it becomes impossible to watch most games, what will happen to attendances?

http://www.stokecityfc.com/page/NewsDetail/0,,10310~1162017,00.html

League Celebrates New Deal

Posted on: Wed 07 Nov 2007

The Football League has secured new broadcasting agreements with Sky Sports and BBC Sport, worth a total of £264m, to run for three seasons from 2009/10.

The new agreements will see Sky Sports continue their unrivalled coverage of Coca-Cola Football League, Carling Cup and Johnstone's Paint Trophy matches. Also, for the first time in recent memory, live Coca-Cola Championship and Carling Cup matches - including the Carling Cup Final - will be shown on BBC terrestrial television.

The new agreements, which represent a 135% increase on The League's existing broadcasting arrangements, are worth £88m per season to Football League clubs and encompass terrestrial and pay television, broadband internet, video-on-demand and mobile services.

Under the new agreement Sky Sports will broadcast:

65 matches from the Coca-Cola Football League, exclusively live.

The Coca-Cola Football League Play-Offs - including all three Finals - exclusively live.

Exclusive live matches from Rounds 1 to 5 of the Carling Cup - two matches per round - and two legs of the Carling Cup semi-finals exclusively live, plus live coverage of the Carling Cup Final.

Live matches from the Johnstone's Paint Trophy.

Highlights and clips of the Coca-Cola Football League, Carling Cup & Johnstone's Paint Trophy.

BBC Sport will broadcast:

10 matches from the Coca-Cola Championship, exclusively live.

Two legs of the Carling Cup semi-finals exclusively live, plus live coverage of the Carling Cup Final.

Highlights and clips of the Coca-Cola Football League and the Carling Cup.

In announcing the new agreement Football League Chairman Lord Mawhinney said:

"We are delighted to be continuing our strong partnership with Sky Sports and are excited by the prospect of working closely with the BBC. I am grateful to them both for their recognition of the value that The Football League brings to the football marketplace.

"Over the last few years The League's standing has been enhanced, both commercially and competitively, as we have delivered real football for real fans. This deal recognises that fact.

"£88m a year coupled with unparalleled coverage on Sky and the BBC will provide a fantastic boost to Football League clubs and their supporters."

Vic Wakeling, Managing Director of Sky Sports said:

"We shall be covering at least 95 live matches each season from all Football League competitions - including all the Play Off semis and Finals - under this new agreement, and are delighted to be so deeply involved yet again in a competition which continues to attract a growing audience at every level.

"The fans love what they see, and so do we."

Roger Mosey, Director of BBC Sport added:

"We're delighted to be entering a partnership with The Football League. This adds to our football portfolio of Match Of The Day, Euro 2008 and the World Cups of 2010 and 2014.

"The agreement is a terrific development in the way we work with Football League clubs across England and Wales - bringing fans the best action across our range of services."

I didn't even know about the BBC coverage. I'm sure they'd have us on a lot.

No TV might get a few arses back up to SJP.

No chance, if people aren't turning up for Premier League football they definately won't for Championship football either. Attendances will drop like they do at every club.

10 games isn't even enough to cover each club, we'll be on twice at most.

I'm 90% certain I'll renew my season ticket (as long as nothing major damages my finances). Might look to move to a cheaper area of the ground. I'd probably also go to a few away games, as I like to visit new grounds.

10 games isn't even enough to cover each club, we'll be on twice at most.

We'll get by far the most press coverage though, and they'd be desperate to have us on, that was my point. For a fizzy pop league club, anyway. :(

We get the Championship on the telly over here in Norway. Would mean I need to change my satelitte deal though since it's on silly channels.

How many games per season?

It's three games or something per weekend/midweek iirc. I don't get a chance to watch it since it's on silly channels I don't bother paying to get.

Guest Darth Toon

It will be an almighty pisser for those of us living abroad - I can currently watch every single match with a decent crowd of Geordie expats down my local (mixed blessing this season mind...) and will really miss the social side as much as anything.

Is it just me who can see a couple of things to look forward to if we go down?

That is absolutely NOT me saying it would be anything other than an utter disaster btw.

I see it too but also agree with your second point.

That is absolutely NOT me saying it would be anything other than an utter disaster btw.

It could be a kick-start to getting things back into shape with wage stuff and so on.

It should never never happen though.

Guest guinness_fiend

Via a live feed broadcast from China, the source of which will be a bloke with a camcorder on the sidelines.

Either that or I'll simulate the games in FIFA 2010 and live in my own fantasy bubble for the duration of the season.

If we go down, ill be gutted, but id get on with it and with that comes looking forward to the new season. If we are in the Championship, I fully expect us to win shit loads of games and many of those comfortably (im not saying we will walk the league btw). For me, come June etc, that is what I will think of the most in regards to the new season. We have been through the shit for years now, a season winning regularly, topped off with promotion and a new start (squad wise), and I can see many of us actually being delighted come next summer which is definitely something to look forward to as a NUFC fan.

Also like you, id rather we didnt go down of course.

Agree with that.

I'll keep getting to a fair few games. Living so far from SJP means the homes will continue to be considerably less frequent than the aways.