If we go down, how will you watch us next season?

ChezGiven

We get relegated and I won't be able to watch them at all, unless I want to fly across the Atlantic for a weekend or two. If we go down it will be the worst day of my life.

i hope thats true

Seriously, relegation isn't going to be the end of anything other than status which given the state of top-flight football, I can live without that for a season or two. It will probably be more fun a division down, visiting all these different grounds, experiencing all these different sets of supporters and I imagine the atmosphere would improve too, although attendances will seriously fall. Quality not quantity though. Relegation doesn't = the end of the world nor the end of NUFC. Could actually be the making of us in a twisted round about way.

Ten years ago, maybe. But now, it will take years and years for a lower-flight club to establish themselves as European/top half contenders. Such is the state of the game.

If we go down that is it for a long, long time. We're more likely to drop a further division than come back up within a couple of years, given the fact we won't be able to get a good manager, the humongous exodus of players, the inability to find replacements.

Amazes me how anyone can look at relegation in any manner of positivity.

So if we go down, that's it? Bull. A good manager (at that level would suffice) will have us back up again. I mean Thick Mick (not wor Mick ;)) at Wolves has them top and he's proved himself to be a crap manager at PL level.

As for positivity... relegation will be a massive massive disappointment without a doubt - huge. But that first game of the season will see a return of optimism and hope for the coming campaign, one that can be exciting all the same as 92-93 was - argued by many as better than any season we've had since in the top-flight.

Back to managers... we could still attract a good manager even outside of the PL. I reckon Bruce under the right conditions would drop down a level to manage us. I reckon Martinez would swap Swansea for SJP. I reckon Ketsbaia would swap European football for us, I reckon if Mick McCarthy can take a team up to the PL, then anyone can and given the vast number of DIFFERENT managers who actually have, well... sort of enforces my point.

The Championship is a tough old division but then isn't any league tough?

We'd storm that league under a decent manager and some decent players (of that level even).

Most players in that division would walk over broken glass to play for Newcastle. Most managers in that division would too.

If we start next season as a Championship club I for one will be there and as excited, hopeful and as supportive as I've ever been. Liverpool or Anfield are just names. The actual football is where its at and as far as I'm concerned we can't do much worse on that front then what we've been served with for the past few years now.

Play decent football, win games, look to be going places and have players that wear the shirt with pride and it doesn't matter what division we're in, whose names are on the back of those shirts or who happens to be our manager or how many full houses we get, the feelings for the team and club will remain strong and in many ways more stronger. That's all I really care about, a team that plays decent football, wins its fair share of matches and looks to have a future.

Don't be fooled by Sky, that badge on the arms of shirts and names like Liverpool and grounds like Anfield. The PL is just a league and the spectacle a game all the same.

Its what happens on the pitch that counts and is all that matters. A win is a win, a loss is a loss. A crap performance is a crap performance while a great one is a great one.... doesn't really matter who the opposition is.

One of the best posts I've read on here in a long time, don't agree on everything you said but really admire the attitude!

If we go down I really hope it isnt a case of forcing myself to watch Newcastle, I hope to fuck Ashley and co wise up (no pun), get a proper manager in and spend so we can sort this shit out once and for all. If they are tight with money over the summer due to the loss of money after relegation, and also decide to stick with Kinnear, then alot of fans will stop and who could blame them? Bad spending and keeping the current set up AFTER the pain of relegation would be unbearable tbh and probably not worth it.

Think of it this way, if we went down and packed the ground out all season, it would end "where were you when you were shit" threads once and for all.

Are you telling me that's not worth £500?

Is it likely that the whole ST price structure will change if we go down?

If so, I'll probably come back if it becomes more affordable.  It was only ever the cost and being a student that made me give up at the end of 06/07 anyway.

Just seems silly if they still think they'll keep fans, when we're in a lower division and ST's are still £450+.  If they don't, I'll probably buy on a game-to-game basis where money allows.

If so, I'll probably come back if it becomes more affordable.  It was only ever the cost and being a student that made me give up at the end of 06/07 anyway.

Just seems silly if they still think they'll keep fans, when we're in a lower division and ST's are still £450+.  If they don't, I'll probably buy on a game-to-game basis where money allows.

The prices won't change. They'll just say there's more games.

The prices won't change. They'll just say there's more games.

bollocks.  Can't wait to start working full time

(queue people telling me I'll regret saying that etc).

Actually, sod it, I might just give up. Can't be doing with supporting a lower league team, I'll just pick someone else - Arsenal isn't too far away.

Good lad. You know it makes sense. We all know that all this "fairweather fan is no fan at all" stuff that gets recited time and again is just a load of stuff and nonsense.

If you can change brand allegiance with washing powder, why not with your football club too?

:thup: 

Actually, sod it, I might just give up. Can't be doing with supporting a lower league team, I'll just pick someone else - Arsenal isn't too far away.

Good lad. You know it makes sense. We all know that all this "fairweather fan is no fan at all" stuff that gets recited time and again is just a load of stuff and nonsense.

If you can change brand allegiance with washing powder, why not with your football club too?

Exactly. You wouldn't want horrible smelly clothes, so why should you support a football team that isn't in the top tier?

Exactly. You wouldn't want horrible smelly clothes, so why should you support a football team that isn't in the top tier?

Well, precisely. Beats me as to why anyone chooses to use anything but the number 1 leading brand of washing powder...or why they would ever choose to support anyone but the Premier League winners.

I'd say Southampton, Leicester, Charlton, Coventry, Leeds fans are all loving lower league football. I'm sure the mackems and West Ham fans were gutted to leave that lower league paradise.

Its great to see a lot of people on this thread have a positive frame of mind should the worst happen, but honestly I think thats a bit of a fantasy your dreaming of. Relegation will effect the club very badly. OK, we'll be a big name that will attract the best of the rest, but we'll have to put up with every team treating our games as 'cup finals'. This would mean putting up with having 10 men behind the ball against us the whole time and just everyone raising their game for us. It wont be nice. We'll lose are our good players, (favorites like Bassong, Beye, Jonas and Oba) and face a major rebuilding task that wont be easy.

I just find it hard to put a positive spin on relegation.....but we'll just have to get up and get on with it if it does happen.

Sure, they'll be new grounds to visit, but are you really going to wake up on the morning and think 'Yes!!! Get in, a trip to Bloomfield road today!', are you? Or a nice trip down to Home Park in Plymouth?....

The best thing we can hope for is that Leeds get promoted to the Championship!  >:D

I'd say Southampton, Leicester, Charlton, Coventry, Leeds fans are all loving lower league football. I'm sure the mackems and West Ham fans were gutted to leave that lower league paradise.

Its great to see a lot of people on this thread have a positive frame of mind should the worst happen, but honestly I think thats a bit of a fantasy your dreaming of. Relegation will effect the club very badly. OK, we'll be a big name that will attract the best of the rest, but we'll have to put up with every team treating our games as 'cup finals'. This would mean putting up with having 10 men behind the ball against us the whole time and just everyone raising their game for us. It wont be nice. We'll lose are our good players, (favorites like Bassong, Beye, Jonas and Oba) and face a major rebuilding task that wont be easy.

I just find it hard to put a positive spin on relegation.....but we'll just have to get up and get on with it if it does happen.

Sure, they'll be new grounds to visit, but are you really going to wake up on the morning and think 'Yes!!! Get in, a trip to Bloomfield road today!', are you? Or a nice trip down to Home Park in Plymouth?....

The best thing we can hope for is that Leeds get promoted to the Championship!  >:D

I think everyone has said that getting relegated will be a disaster. Doesn't mean you can't try to look for the positives.

Well, precisely. Beats me as to why anyone chooses to use anything but the number 1 leading brand of washing powder...or why they would ever choose to support anyone but the Premier League winners.

Daz & ManU ftw.

The best thing we can hope for is that Leeds get promoted to the Championship!  >:D

I think everyone has said that getting relegated will be a disaster. Doesn't mean you can't try to look for the positives.

I know that, its just some people were gloryfying the Championship a bit too much, imo (nothing wrong with it though).

• 4 weeks later...