Cheshire Police apologise for roughing up Victor Anichebe

GM

Police apology to black footballer over high street confrontation

* Jo Adetunji and agencies

* The Guardian, Saturday 14 March 2009

* http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/mar/14/everton-victor-anichebe-race

A Premier League footballer confronted by police officers as he looked in a jeweller's shop window suggested yesterday he was targeted because he was black.

Victor Anichebe, a £15,000-a-week Everton striker, was met by police officers while window shopping with a friend near his home in Knutsford, Cheshire.

The 20-year-old Nigerian international, who said officers accused him of attempted robbery while outside PR Jones on Wednesday, also said one officer had tried to take away his crutches to prevent him from escaping and handcuffed his friend. He said that, despite an apology, he was "deeply upset and very angry".

"Both myself and my friend, Lee, were accused, by Cheshire police officers, of 'attempted theft'. Sadly, even when I explained who I was and what I was doing, they continued to treat both of us as not just suspects but as criminals. I am currently having to use crutches to walk as I recently underwent surgery and, astonishingly, one of the officers even tried to grab the crutches in order to prevent me from 'escaping'.

"While I do not wish to turn this unfortunate and unnecessary incident into a race issue, I believe it is a question which does need to be asked."

Police were called after CCTV operators reported the men "acting suspiciously".

Sean Reynolds, a phone shop director in the town, said police had been heavy-handed and that bystanders looked confused as to why the footballer was being questioned and detained."

In a later apology, Cheshire police said the applying of handcuffs was less than a proportionate reaction. Cheshire police said they would be meeting Anichebe to resolve any further concerns.

Institutional racism?  :kinnear:

Vic will more than likely be your email scammer than your handgun waving "fill the bag up NOW!!!!" sort of crim.

It sounds like he got more roughed up by Nolan but Nolan is not that type of player while the police are that sort of institution

They Police were told they were acting suspiciously by the CCTV operators, if there's any institutional racism its in CCTV operation.

"Both myself and my friend, Lee, were accused, by Cheshire police officers, of 'attempted theft'. Sadly, even when I explained who I was and what I was doing, they continued to treat both of us as not just suspects but as criminals"

Anichebe proving footballers are thick as **** as well, with this quote.  So they should have left you alone Victor when you said you weren't guilty?  LOL

Guest Heneage

They Police were told they were acting suspiciously by the CCTV operators, if there's any institutional racism its in CCTV operation.

"Both myself and my friend, Lee, were accused, by Cheshire police officers, of 'attempted theft'. Sadly, even when I explained who I was and what I was doing, they continued to treat both of us as not just suspects but as criminals"

Anichebe proving footballers are thick as **** as well, with this quote.  So they should have left you alone Victor when you said you weren't guilty?  LOL

Does he not mean, I'm a footballer ergo am on lots ofmoney so am genuinely shopping.

I wonder if the copper was called Nolan.  :shifty:

So he gets picked on purely because he's black and he's "thick as shit" because he explains he's a footballer who has money? What's he supposed to say like? Oh yes I'm black and therefore sir I must be guilty of wanting to rob this shop? I hope if it happened to Martins you would be a bit more sympathetic.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Not as thick as you and a damn sight richer.

Guest optimistic nit

quoted for truth tbh.

So he gets picked on purely because he's black and he's "thick as shit" because he explains he's a footballer who has money? What's he supposed to say like? Oh yes I'm black and therefore sir I must be guilty of wanting to rob this shop? I hope if it happened to Martins you would be a bit more sympathetic.

Errr no.  He's thick because after he explains to police that he's a premiership footballer he expects them to take that at face value and suddenly stop treating him as a suspect.  ROFL, is that what you think the police should do?

Police stop a 20 something charva looking guy in a Ferrari and after he says that he plays for Newcastle they just let him on his way?  Brilliant.

Can anyone see this going any differently if it was Joey Barton in the same position and the police didn't recognise him?  What a shit story blown out of all proportion.

Errr no.  He's thick because after he explains to police that he's a premiership footballer he expects them to take that at face value and suddenly stop treating him as a suspect.  ROFL, is that what you think the police should do?

A suspect of what?, there was no crime commited.  At the end of the day they hand cuffed his friend and attempted to take his crutches away because he looked in a window, do you think THAT is what the police should do?

Its not an issue of saying "I'm a Premiership Footballer so I must be innocent" either.  He's someone without a crimical record who's done nothing wrong, not only that he's on fucking crutches, he shouldn't be treated like a criminal!

If I were him, with his resources, I'd set my lawyers on them and tell them I want nothing less then those officers to lose there jobs.

A suspect of what?, there was no crime commited.

That the police know of.  Not to mention the police' function of preventing crime as well as investigating those that have occurred already.

At the end of the day they hand cuffed his friend and attempted to take his crutches away because he looked in a window, do you think THAT is what the police should do?

Of course not the handcuffs.  Definite overreaction.

Its not an issue of saying "I'm a Premiership Footballer so I must be innocent" either.  He's someone without a crimical record who's done nothing wrong, not only that he's on fucking crutches, he shouldn't be treated like a criminal!

I never said it was and the police don't know if he has a criminal record at that point.  And presumably when they found out his real identity he was allowed to go.  Again, the police don't know he hasn't done anything wrong at that point.  He shouldn't be treated like a criminal but he should be treated with scepticism.

I'd set my lawyers on them and tell them I want nothing less then those officers to lose there jobs.

Total overreaction and actually a worse reaction than the police.

Great argument.

Conjecture on both counts, you do know what that means don't you?

Great argument.

:lol:

Great argument.

:lol:

Edit- cba

Guest optimistic nit

That the police know of.  Not to mention the police' function of preventing crime as well as investigating those that have occurred already.

At the end of the day they hand cuffed his friend and attempted to take his crutches away because he looked in a window, do you think THAT is what the police should do?

I never said it was and the police don't know if he has a criminal record at that point.  And presumably when they found out his real identity he was allowed to go.  Again, the police don't know he hasn't done anything wrong at that point.  He shouldn't be treated like a criminal but he should be treated with scepticism.

I'd set my lawyers on them and tell them I want nothing less then those officers to lose there jobs.

you're talking shite mate.

Guest diddimz

So police should assume he's involved with a crime, until hes proved that hes not?

Its not an issue of saying "I'm a Premiership Footballer so I must be innocent" either.  He's someone without a crimical record who's done nothing wrong, not only that he's on f***ing crutches, he shouldn't be treated like a criminal!

So guilty until proven innocent is that how its ment to go? Scepeticism for looking in a shop window, doesn't sound fair to me

If you had a mate handcuffed, your crutches removed and as good as accused of robbing somewhere for window shopping, are you ment to sit there and take it?

Then lad grew up in Liverpool from the age of 1 so technically it is the duty of every police service outside of Merseyside are to check unidentified scousers ASAP.

Reminds of story Alan Stubbs told in 442 years ago which he laughed off:

Track-suited Scousers Wayne Rooney and Alan Stubbs strolling into Fulham Road estate agents Kinleigh, Folkard and Hayward before an Everton game at Chelsea, only to be thrown out after the staff thought they were casing joints for burglaries.

Then lad grew up in Liverpool from the age of 1 so technically it is the duty of every police service outside of Merseyside are to check unidentified scousers ASAP.

Reminds of story Alan Stubbs told in 442 years ago which he laughed off:

Track-suited Scousers Wayne Rooney and Alan Stubbs strolling into Fulham Road estate agents Kinleigh, Folkard and Hayward before an Everton game at Chelsea, only to be thrown out after the staff thought they were casing joints for burglaries.

Racism!

So police should assume he's involved with a crime, until hes proved that hes not?

The police have to walk a fine line.  It would be great to live in a world where that didn't have to happen but we don't.  If the police stop you it's usually for a good reason and they have the power to do so:

The police can stop anyone in a public place and ask you to account for yourself. For example, you could be asked to account for your actions, behaviour, presence in an area or possession of anything.

You don't think that's acceptable?  Despite the CCTV operator reporting them as suspicious and that closed circuit TV operators were monitoring jewellers in Knutsford and the surrounding area following a spate of violent robberies.

Honestly, I glad some of us don't write the laws and police procedure.

So guilty until proven innocent is that how its ment to go? Scepeticism for looking in a shop window, doesn't sound fair to me

Innocent until proven guilty doesn't apply in anything more than the most general sense.  Almost everything the police do undermines this.  It's a romantic notion but largely useless if you stick to it religiously and want to actually catch criminals.

If you had a mate handcuffed, your crutches removed and as good as accused of robbing somewhere for window shopping, are you ment to sit there and take it?

I've had a mate handcuffed by police after a fight in the town of which I knew he wasn't involved.  Once the facts were established and he accounted for his actions he was released.  Did he report it to the media?  Ask for the officers to be sacked?  Of course not, he got over it.

I've been stopped 3 times by police in my car and each time I've done nothing wrong.  Did I burst into tears and go crying to the papers?  Nope, I acknowledged the difficult job the police have and accept the inconvenience.

The posts above show it happens to other footballers regardless of race because they're in the unusual and enviable position of being millionaires in their 20's.

Just like if you drive a Ferrari at 20 you can expect to be stopped by police more often than everyone else.

Guest Phil K

He shouldn't really justify why he is looking at jewellery. I'm sure a good percentage of people who go into that store are merely window shopping.

Footballers and Bling....well, no requirement to be black there. Low intellect needed, nowt to do with colour.

Footballers wasting unearned money. No need to be black there either. White black or whatever - too much, no idea how to use it wisely.

Unlike so many of these complaints, this one seems bang on - for once, an ACCURATE accusation of racism