Political Apathy & Activity

Neil

Not really sure where I'm going with this, but I'll fire away anyway  :lol:

I've always been intrigued by this topic, and was quite a key notion in A level Politics.

So I was wondering what peoples' thoughts were on it. Some of the questions (not a survey as such) I find interesting are:

Do you vote? If so, do you do it because of a particular party/person, or because you feel you ought to use your right to vote? If no, is there a specific reason why you don't?

For those who do vote, is this restricted to national elections or do you vote in, for example, local elections? Is a high turnout that important?

Are you "politically active"? How would you define that, and if you think you are active, in what ways are you?

Do you see yourself as "politically apathetic"? Again, how would you define that and, whether it's yes or no, what factors do you think led you to being that way? Do you see the youth of today as apathetic as has been touted, or simply unknowledgeable?

Hmmm, unfortunately that actually has come out as a patronising questionnaire...

But yeah, those are a few of the topics that I find interesting. Anyone have any thoughts?

I take an interest in politics and feels strongly about a few issues I don't vote because there's no rational reason why I should. I'll encourage others to vote, but it's just a waste of time me doing it myself.

One man can't make a difference.

I take an interest in politics and feels strongly about a few issues I don't vote because there's no rational reason why I should. I'll encourage others to vote, but it's just a waste of time me doing it myself.

I haven't voted yet (mainly because I couldn't); the next national election will be the first one in which I can. As it stands, I think I'll probably vote just for voting's sake, perhaps because 'it's my first time', but I can't help but feel apathetic towards the 2 main parties' infinite pursuit towards the centre. Or so it seems.

I also don't seem to hear that much on the news about pure politics; it's increasingly just story after story of depression regarding the world around us. I sometimes watch PMQs when I can but even so, I don't feel a great urge to put a lot of effort into finding the latest [apparent] policies of parties and the such.

I guess this is something i don't really know... i mean... i'm as apathetic as it could get when it comes to politics. That's pretty bad cos i want to go into a journalism course, and my first choice uni, it's just straight journalism (no specific field). Therefore politics plays a significant role at times.

Is this common in my generation? I think it is tbh. I mean, at my school, politics simply isn't taught. There's just no focus on it whatsoever. Literally nothing.

So i don't think it's a coincidence every single one of my mates have no interest in voting, etc.

I guess this is something i don't really know... i mean... i'm as apathetic as it could get when it comes to politics. That's pretty bad cos i want to go into a journalism course, and my first choice uni, it's just straight journalism (no specific field). Therefore politics plays a significant role at times.

Is this common in my generation? I think it is tbh. I mean, at my school, politics simply isn't taught. There's just no focus on it whatsoever. Literally nothing.

So i don't think it's a coincidence every single one of my mates have no interest in voting, etc.

You said it yourself, it isn't taught. I'm not sure if it's apathy, or simply kids not being taught it, and indeed GIVEN a chance to be apathetic.

Then again I guess you could be apathetic towards it in terms of just not being interested in politics on the news. It's associated with being a bad thing, and I guess it's worrying that a lot of younger people don't know anything about political institutions, the broad ideologies of the parties, but then again, just because Person A doesn't know much about politics doesn't make him any less of a person than Person B.

I dont vote, i have no interest in voting because no political party agrees with my views. People might call me an idiot or whatever, but thats just the way it is. I have my views on Northern Ireland, but sadly we have spineless and clueless nationalist parties over here, SDLP are as useless as using ice cubes to light a fire. Sinn Fein are pathetically bending over backwards to be accepted in Government and go as far as betraying communities that backed them through the hard times, yet Adams is still so far out of his depth in the South its unreal.

and if everyone thought that way no-one would vote.

Oh yes he can. And all it takes is for one man to persuade another man, and then another man...and then you have a movement for change. History is littered with such examples.

Oh yes he can. And all it takes is for one man to persuade another man, and then another man...and then you have a movement for change. History is littered with such examples.

when he said one man can't make a difference he meant you.

when he said one man can't make a difference he meant you.

I've already made a difference. :razz:

I haven't been able to vote in a general election before, and I will vote.  I know my political preference at this moment in time, but it could change (although I doubt it will).

Had the chance to vote in the local election, but didn't bother.  After reading the pamphlets the candidates put through the door and seeing the issues raised were small-scale, and things I had no interest in, I didn't see the point going back home.

As for one man can't make a difference, he can.  In my local election the party that won did so by 1 vote.  No lie.

I think I made a point of that in my post - obviously you took one remark out of context!

Really I suppose I meant one vote can't make a difference - care to argue with that?

I think I made a point of that in my post - obviously you took one remark out of context!

Really I suppose I meant one vote can't make a difference - care to argue with that?

Yeah. I've re-read that now with less of a sleepy head on and I get the point you were making.

You're just too damned sharp and clever for your own good. :aww:

a few "one vote"'s can make a difference. it's the basis of democracy.

a few "one vote"'s can make a difference. it's the basis of democracy.

Yes, the whole forum's "one vote" can possibly (well, you could possibly change an MP in a constituency - but can one MP's vote make a difference?), but my own "one vote" can not.

I vote btw, but probably just as madras does - to keep those who I dislike out. Not afraid to say I'm doing pretty well for myself and see no reason to change that.

You don't see the bigger picture at all, do you? It's all "self, self, self" with you.

I vote btw, but probably just as madras does - to keep those who I dislike out. Not afraid to say I'm doing pretty well for myself and see no reason to change that.

You don't see the bigger picture at all, do you? It's all "self, self, self" with you.

Dunno if you're taking the piss, but my own life comes first. Sorry about that.

Not taking the piss at all.

What I mean is that you do come across as being incredibly selfish at times, thinking only of yourself and your own happiness. Just seems rather shallow, and ultimately self-defeating being as selfish as that. Although, being someone born under the Thatcher regime, it's not surprising you are that way.

Communitarianism is the way forward, Dave: it's all about enlightened self-interest, recognising that your neighbour is as important as you are.

:coolsmiley:

Not taking the piss at all.

What I mean is that you do come across as being incredibly selfish at times, thinking only of yourself and your own happiness. Just seems rather shallow, and ultimately self-defeating being as selfish as that. Although, being someone born under the Thatcher regime, it's not surprising you are that way.

Communitarianism is the way forward, Dave: it's all about enlightened self-interest, recognising that your neighbour is as important as you are.

:coolsmiley:

i agree with GM on the whole though i've never really considered dave as being that selfish. that may well need a poll.

(poor bugger will now be working himself into a tizzy wondering if i'm taking the rise or not)