So Shepherd leaves tomorrow morning...

gray

It wouldn't be as simple as that.  And I don't really have any educated answer, but I imagine the board could replace him with whoever they choose.  That could be themselves, or it could be someone in the same ilk of David Gill and Peter Kenyon.  Not people that have shares in the club, but people that can run a football club, properly.

That's the tragic thing, Shepherd and Co don't necessarily have to leave, they only need to appoint someone to run the fucking club.  They could sit back and rake in the cash, with no effort.  But that leads me to believe Shepherd enjoys the limelight.

It wouldn't be as simple as that.  And I don't really have any educated answer, but I imagine the board could replace him with whoever they choose.  That could be themselves, or it could be someone in the same ilk of David Gill and Peter Kenyon.  Not people that have shares in the club, but people that can run a football club, properly.

That's the tragic thing, Shepherd and Co don't necessarily have to leave, they only need to appoint someone to run the fucking club.  They could sit back and rake in the cash, with no effort.  But that leads me to believe Shepherd enjoys the limelight.

I think unintentionally you have summed up the mistake we made. And which any other club should not indulge in.

FREDDY SHEPHERD jetted back into Tyneside last night and vowed to ride out the storm at St James’ Park.

The Newcastle chairman has been in Majorca helping wife Lorelle recover from a health scare.

He missed hearing a large section of fans shouting for his head after the disastrous 1-0 home defeat to Sheffield United.

Newcastle have slumped to joint bottom of the Premiership after taking just five points from their last 10 games.

To compound matters, Shepherd is also believed to have had a major bust-up with manager Glenn Roeder over the scheduling of the game.

The club chose to accept the £350,000 Sky cash and play on Saturday night despite a tiring UEFA Cup trip to Sicily on Thursday. Roeder said: “I was hoping Palermo was a turning point but the big concern was playing the game so quickly.”

The Belgravia Consortium are waiting in the wings to buy out Shepherd. But a source close to him said: “Freddy is no quitter.

“Changing the manager or the chairman wouldn’t put the ball in the back of the net. It’s a case of trying to get through until January when the squad can be strengthened.”

Roeder insisted: “The chairman isn’t out there playing. He selects managers and I have complete responsibility for the team and the squad.

“I accept that and would not want it any other way.”

Newcastle’s decision not to postpone the game 24 hours enraged fans. Website nufc.com said: “The false economy of taking a few hundred grand while risking the club’s top-flight status was a risk never worth taking.”

Former skipper Alan Shearer said: “Glenn is trying his best but has his hands tied — his only striker is Giuseppe Rossi which is why they’re struggling.”

That's the tragic thing, Shepherd and Co don't necessarily have to leave, they only need to appoint someone to run the ****ing club.  They could sit back and rake in the cash, with no effort.  But that leads me to believe Shepherd enjoys the limelight.

That's the thing, he will still have his shares although as chairman doesn't he have a say in how the dividends are paid out (with the board)? He won't lose to much by falling back a little.

I agree, he loves the attention/limelight.

FREDDY SHEPHERD jetted back into Tyneside last night and vowed to ride out the storm at St James’ Park.

The Newcastle chairman has been in Majorca helping wife Lorelle recover from a health scare.

He missed hearing a large section of fans shouting for his head after the disastrous 1-0 home defeat to Sheffield United.

Newcastle have slumped to joint bottom of the Premiership after taking just five points from their last 10 games.

To compound matters, Shepherd is also believed to have had a major bust-up with manager Glenn Roeder over the scheduling of the game.

The club chose to accept the £350,000 Sky cash and play on Saturday night despite a tiring UEFA Cup trip to Sicily on Thursday. Roeder said: “I was hoping Palermo was a turning point but the big concern was playing the game so quickly.”

The Belgravia Consortium are waiting in the wings to buy out Shepherd. But a source close to him said: “Freddy is no quitter.

“Changing the manager or the chairman wouldn’t put the ball in the back of the net. It’s a case of trying to get through until January when the squad can be strengthened.”

Roeder insisted: “The chairman isn’t out there playing. He selects managers and I have complete responsibility for the team and the squad.

Newcastle’s decision not to postpone the game 24 hours enraged fans. Website nufc.com said: “The false economy of taking a few hundred grand while risking the club’s top-flight status was a risk never worth taking.”

Former skipper Alan Shearer said: “Glenn is trying his best but has his hands tied — his only striker is Giuseppe Rossi which is why they’re struggling.”

Good.  Glad to see Roeder was pushing for that change,  and even more proof that our anger should be at Freddy and not Glenn.

Hmmm, struggle on until january to see Shepherd and Roeder spend more of our money on expensive toss and buy themselves more time until the next inevitable fall.

Let me think.....

No. Kindly fuck off.

Does he think he can take the piss forever?

If he stays past this crisis he's going to have to move his fat arse out of the North East, as there's only so much piss taking the fat cunt can do until someone sticks the nut on him.

Am close to it myself, and am not a violent person.  :wullie: Just a fed up one.  :(

If he stays past this crisis he's going to have to move his fat arse out of the North East, as there's only so much piss taking the fat **** can do until someone sticks the nut on him.

Am close to it myself, and am not a violent person.  :wullie: Just a fed up one.  :(

I am not a violent person either but I gave the couch a shellacking after Sheffield United scored. If the fat one was in my living room at the time he'd have really gotten some. I'm still angry 2 days later - it shows you how much this football club can affect your life - usually negatively.

If he stays past this crisis he's going to have to move his fat arse out of the North East, as there's only so much piss taking the fat **** can do until someone sticks the nut on him.

I am not a violent person either but I gave the couch a shellacking after Sheffield United scored. If the fat one was in my living room at the time he'd have really gotten some. I'm still angry 2 days later - it shows you how much this football club can affect your life - usually negatively.

blueyes.gif

If i could get him a hiding to remember, and not go to jail, I'd probably do it, especially if it meant he sold up.

Its getting to a stage now where am thinking daft shit like this, but at least am getting some feeling back, last week i was just empty and didn't give a shite.

Toon cash in on TV encounter - but Roeder counts the cost

By COLIN YOUNG

Last updated at 20:47pm on 5th November 2006

Reader comments (0)

Toon hit rock bottom

Middlesbrough reached the final last season, played 15 games to get there - largely, like Newcastle, in front of indifferent home crowds - and won only three times in the Premiership after a Thursday nightshift.

So far, Newcastle have won just one in five after a European encounter although this defeat was the most inexcusable. Thursday's impressive victory over the admittedly weakened Palermo appeared to be a turning point in a season which is proving a major struggle for manager Glenn Roeder.

But instead of starting to pull away from the bottom three, only a post saved them from falling to the foot of the table. Alan Quinn's shot hit goalkeeper Steve Harper and his upright, denying Sheffield United a second goal to add to Danny Webber's headed effort, the first on their travels this season.

Roeder recalled six players who had been rested on Thursday but Damien Duff and Scott Parker, usually two of his most influential players, looked like they had actually put in a shift in Sicily and then walked all the way home.

Newcastle had the option to delay this fixture but turned it down to take Sky's cash. Sheffield United boss Neil Warnock offered to move it long before the draw was made for the long trip to the Serie A leaders but Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd expected to win at home to the Yorkshiremen, no matter what the circumstances.

Paddy Kenny will not have an easier game in the Premiership. Charles N'Zogbia hit the bar with an ambitious shot but the Sheffield United keeper did not make a save while Harper warmed his hands twice before Webber beat him with a firm header from Nick Montgomery's surprisingly measured cross. "The one bit of class all day," said Warnock. "Not his strength at all."

Harper admitted Newcastle are "lacking character and mental strength". "It's tin hat time," said the keeper. "You need mental strength when you're behind at home and the fans are getting frustrated, but it's not happening. If you're not a good character and haven't got it, I don't think you should be at this football club. You look to your big characters to get on the ball, get out there and do something with it."

The "We want Shepherd out" chants started 10 minutes from the end but was a reaction to the dross on the field. Roeder shifted uncomfortably in the technical area and withdrew from sight for the final stages but not once was the abuse aimed at him or his players.

Sporadic fighting broke out among home fans as, time and again, Harper, a goalkeeper with a dodgy groin, was asked to hoof the ball to Giuseppe Rossi, one of the smallest and most inexperienced strikers in the Premiership.

Kenny was not the only one wishing it could be like this every week. Visiting centre halves Phil Jagielka and Claude Davis could not believe their luck.

At the other end, Titus Bramble punted the ball even higher than Harper and Craig Moore became embroiled in a tit-for-tat squabble with Rob Hulse which should have been halted by a red card. Hulse may not have come close to scoring but he did annoy the Australian who was completely lost for the winner.

Replacing Alan Shearer was always going to be difficult and so far Newcastle have failed. Injuries have not helped, but neither have their signings.

Shola Ameobi is about undergo hip surgery and join Michael Owen on this season's permanent sick list. Obafemi Martins is out for another week and has one goal in eight Premiership games after his £10million move from Inter Milan.

Roeder has been forced to use Duff as a striker, where he is clearly not comfortable and, strangely, the Irishman is struggling for form, although the constant changing of positions - he was more effective as a left back - cannot be helping.

Rossi, meanwhile, scored twice against Portsmouth but the Manchester United youngster has been sent by Sir Alex Ferguson to learn his trade and he is being forced to do it the hard way, such as trying to win headers from aimless high balls.

Roeder was unfortunate to inherit Albert Luque, who cost half a million less than Martins. He is likely to earn the full amount of the Sky money before his misery is ended in the January transfer window and, on the evidence of this lacklustre, indifferent contribution, unlikely to spend much of the time playing.

In what must have been a painful Match of the Day analysis, Shearer neglected to mention Luque was an option for the Newcastle manager. But it is unlikely it was an oversight.

Newcastle's record goalscorer said: "Rossi is finding it tough, Shola needs an operation, Michael Owen won't play this season and Martins is injured so they are asking a young kid to play a very difficult role but Glenn has no choice because there is no one left. The problem is the lack of goals. It's a worrying time."

Shearer acknowledged Warnock had "done his homework" and the United boss is confident his side can finish above Newcastle.

"I won't tell you why but there are seven or eight teams we can finish above," said Warnock. "I knew we had a difficult start and if we could just be two or three points adrift by the end of November I would be quite happy. Anyone in the bottom half could be involved in it."

Newcastle must accept times have changed

By Alan Hansen

Nobody in the Premier League will want to see a club the size of Newcastle United relegated. However, the rules of engagement are crystal-clear and the simple fact is that no club are too big to be relegated and, at the moment, Newcastle are in a sorry state of affairs.

Anybody who thinks it simply won't happen to Newcastle only need to look at Leeds and Sunderland to realise that they are going to have to be careful. They have had a horrific start to the season, they are conceding more than they are scoring and only goal difference is keeping them off the foot of the Premiership table.

Newcastle are a massive club, they have a terrific stadium and the whole set-up should be geared for the big time. Some of the clubs who have come into the Premiership are struggling to fill their grounds, but you never see empty seats at Newcastle and that's why the Premiership needs them in the top flight.

If they are ever to bring success to the club, though, Newcastle need a change of philosophy and that is something that the supporters are going to have to accept. What they have to decide is whether they want to win trophies or if they would rather try and win 5-4 every week. I don't think they want to change.

Whether it be Sir Alex Ferguson or Jose Mourinho, they will tell you that you have to get the foundation right before you do anything else. Some of the managers that Newcastle have had since Kevin Keegan have tried to implement that, but Newcastle fans don't want their team to play like Chelsea. They want a team that says: "If you score four, we'll score five."

From Jackie Milburn through to Alan Shearer, they have always wanted a great No 9, but how many great central defensive partnerships can you think of at Newcastle? The last defender of any merit who they had was Jonathan Woodgate – and they sold him. The problem they have now is that not only do they need a No 4, No 5 and No 6, they still need another No 9 because Shearer is no longer there and they have had terrible luck with Michael Owen's injury.

Despite what he may be saying, Glenn Roeder is under real pressure as manager. Every manager in the bottom six is under pressure and Glenn is no different, especially when you consider that Newcastle have had six managers in 10 years. That is far too many and it says it all about the situation they are in.

As a chairman, Freddy Shepherd is two things. Firstly, he has proved beyond any doubt that he is no-nonsense when it comes to sacking managers, but those managers have also been given a hell of a lot of money to spend by him, so you cannot say that he hasn't backed them in the transfer market.

To his credit, he gave Graeme Souness an awful lot of money to buy Owen, and there have been countless others who have been brought in for big transfer fees. Albert Luque and Obafemi Martins were other big-money centre-forwards, but despite all the money that has been spent they haven't signed many good centre-halves. That just sums up Newcastle and the philosophy of the club.

What happened under Kevin Keegan was once-in-a-lifetime stuff, though, and if the team who lost a 12-point lead in 1995-96 were playing in this season's Premiership, they wouldn't even finish in the top four because the game has moved on.

The issue now for Newcastle is getting out of the mess they are in, and you often find that it tends to get worse before it gets better. When you look at the way they played against Sheffield United on Saturday, you would have to say that they are in big, big trouble.

Having played in Palermo in the Uefa Cup on Thursday night, they could have moved the game back to Sunday, but they decided to take the television money, despite the fact that Sheffield United hadn't played for a week. In my opinion, if it was a choice between three points and the TV money, the points are 100 times more important, but that was Newcastle's decision.

If I were a betting man, I would still back them to stay up because they will probably just go out and buy another No 9 from somewhere, but if things continue as they are they will face major problems.

Newcastle United (0) 0 Sheffield United (0) 1

Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd is determined to fight his way through the current wave of unrest that is gripping St James' Park and is in no mood to relinquish his grip on the Premiership club.

Toon angry: Newcastle fans express their dissatisfaction

According to sources close to a defiant Shepherd, he is ready to tough it out even though police officers on horseback were ultimately required to disperse mutinous members of the Toon Army on Saturday.

They had massed outside the famous stadium's main entrance to vent their spleen by calling for the overthrow of Shepherd and his board after Danny Webber nodded in Nick Montgomery's cross, deservedly condemning Newcastle to an ignominious defeat. It left a club competing in the Champions League four years ago preoccupied with avoiding relegation to the Championship.

Despite the slump, the position of Newcastle manager Glenn Roeder remains secure, although the board are likely to run out of patience should he prove unable to reverse the club's Premiership decline sooner rather than later.

The legendary patience of the supporters — without a major domestic honour to celebrate since 1955 — has already snapped.

Roeder was spared their wrath despite overseeing a singularly poor, undisciplined performance, but last night insisted that he and not Shepherd – in Mallorca with his wife Lorelle who was recently taken ill – should shoulder the blame for the current malaise.

"I have complete responsibility for the team and the squad and I accept that and would not want it any other way," Roeder said. "I will not hide behind anybody or behind the chairman. The players must accept their responsibility, and their part of the deal is if you play for Newcastle it has to be to a certain level."

Former Newcastle skipper Alan Shearer, among others, has expressed sympathy for Roeder, declaring that the manager has his hands tied and that replacing him will not help the players at all. Last season Roeder's predecessor, Graeme Souness, became the object of fans' fury, but the current dissent is reminiscent of Newcastle fans' protests against Lord Westwood in the 1970s and then Gordon McKeag in the late 80s which paved the way for Sir John Hall's revolution.

In mitigation, Newcastle were playing their second game in less than 48 hours following the trip to Palermo. But they banked £265,000 from Sky in the process, which explains why the match was not put back a day - and why six fresh faces were in the 1st XI chosen by Roeder.

Tactically, his team were dreadful against a side without an away goal all season, and his big-hitters such as Scott Parker and Damien Duff were particularly disappointing, while the amount of long balls hoofed to the diminutive Giuseppe Rossi was astounding.

One player who seemed capable of forcing the visitors on to the back foot was James Milner, but he ended up being substituted, much to the consternation of the supporters.

Newcastle goalkeeper Steve Harper later raised questions about his colleagues' attitude. "We're lacking character and mental strength, certainly when we've gone behind," Harper said. "People seem to stop showing for the ball when it's not going well and it's frustrating. Roeder also noted that there were "certain deficiencies in parts of the squad".

"If you're not a good character with mental strength, I don't think you should be at this club. It's tin hat time." The taste of victory was bittersweet for Sheffield United winger Keith Gillespie, who remains synonymous with Newcastle's celebrated 3-2 win over Barcelona.

"They've had a few problems over the last few years and haven't really recaptured that sparkle that used to exist here," Gillespie said.

"When Kevin Keegan was manager it was entertaining football, but they've failed to do that since."