Starting an unfit Owen over an in form Lovenkrands - What was Hughton thinking?

The Prophet

Starting Owen isn't fair enough though, his form before injury was f***ing s*** and cant be expected to be any better returning from injury. Lovenkrands has earned the shirt, and has lost it based on this f***ing myth that Michael Owen is some sort of great footballer. f***ing pathetic the lot of em

Thank God Keegan didn't have that opinion last season else we might not be talking about relegation this season, because we might have done it a year earlier instead.

things have changed

Exactly.  Owen's goals to games ratio is even better this season.

with 1 in the last 9, yeah he's clearly found a new lease of life

Before that rut (that, erm, every striker on the fucking planet goes through), his record was something like 17 in 24. That's a total guesstimate, admittedly, but it was something like that. It was definitely better than 1 in 2, anyway. From the equaliser at Birmingham last season, till - i dunno - the Pompey game (?), his goalscoring record was stupidly good.

If he was unfit, then he shouldn't have been in the team. But i don't know that. In my opinion, if Owen is fit then he should be in the team. In hindsight, he clearly wasn't, so shouldn't have been in it.

My point is - in an ideal world, where everyone's fit, Owen > Lovenkrands. However, Ameobi > Lovenkrands is just total insanity.

every striker on the planet doesn't rely on his goals to justify selection to the degree that Owen does. If he isn't scoring we're basically playing with 10 men

Ah ok, we should never play him then, on that basis. Just incase he doesn't score.

:rolleyes: That's where substitutions come in. Unfortunately the cretin put Shola on instead of Lovenkrands.

every striker on the planet doesn't rely on his goals to justify selection to the degree that Owen does. If he isn't scoring we're basically playing with 10 men

Ah ok, we should never play him then, on that basis. Just incase he doesn't score.

:rolleyes: That's where substitutions come in. Unfortunately the cretin put Shola on instead of Lovenkrands.

what I meant was, there are players out there that will make positive contributions throughout the game even if their sharpness and fitness is below par. Owen certainly isn't one of them

and secondly, Owen should NEVER ever be an automatic choice if availble, like he clearly is at NUFC. He isn't a superstar and he isn't a great player that should be selected regardless of the situation

what I meant was, there are players out there that will make positive contributions throughout the game even if their sharpness and fitness is below par. Owen certainly isn't one of them

and secondly, Owen should NEVER ever be an automatic choice if availble, like he clearly is at NUFC. He isn't a superstar and he isn't a great player that should be selected regardless of the situation

I know exactly what your point was. And i maintain the same one... you're saying we shouldn't play him purely on the basis that he might not score. I just don't agree with that at all, really. Like i say - that's where substitutions come in. If Hughton thinks Ameobi is more of an impact sub then Lovenkrands, then that's his fucking fault. But personally, in terms of starting, i think Owen is a better asset to the side than Lovenkrands.

Guest BooBoo

I can't imagine there can have been any piss poorer midfield quartets than our 4 that lined up on Saturday.

Hell, have any of the buggers scored this year? Unless Butt nabbed one that i've forgotten about?

I can't imagine there can have been any piss poorer midfield quartets than our 4 that lined up on Saturday.

Hell, have any of the buggers scored this year? Unless Butt nabbed one that i've forgotten about?

I'd hazard a guess that Amdy Faye, Clark and Pattison must have started together at some point!

I'd hazard a guess that Amdy Faye, Clark and Pattison must have started together at some point!

Lee Clark scored more in 05-06 than Geremi, Butt, Nolan, Jonas and Smith have combined this season

If owen had not have started You would have moaned....Can't win either way.  Player of his quality has to start in on our team beacue he only needs one chance

going off his chance conversion percentages in the last 2 seasons, that's absolute nonsense

Guest sid1970

they could have started all three though, it was only hull man

go with

harper, s. taylor, coloccini, bassong, enrique

butt, smith

lovenkrands, gutierrez

owen, martins

anyway.

Lee Clark scored more in 05-06 than Geremi, Butt, Nolan, Jonas and Smith have combined this season

This season, Steven Taylor has more than Skrtel, Hyypia, Agger, Arbeloa & Carragher combined. ;)