Would You Swap Your Allegiance?

Skirge
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Supporters who have stuck by the club for decades are jacking in it. Poor results, crap performances and relegation has nothing to do it with.

I've stuck by the club since the 80's when we were much worse than now. I didn't jack it in then and I'm not about to now.

Guest fading star

Supporters who have stuck by the club for decades are jacking in it. Poor results, crap performances and relegation has nothing to do it with.

I've stuck by the club since the 80's when we were much worse than now. I didn't jack it in then and I'm not about to now.

But supporters with better credentials than you are jacking it in. Its not a contest. 

Guest fading star

It’s not about winning or losing. It’s about what the club stands for, which under Ashley is quickly becoming f*** all.

What did it stand for pre-Ashley?

Oh that’s a complex question. One that requires leaps of faith and a bit of patience… totally unsuited for the robust nit picking on here. The answer also varies from person to person, though most would share a some deep rooted common ground.

Ask yourself why you actively support Newcastle United. And if the answer is something simple like because I was born there, ask yourself again. After that you’ll have to work it out for yourself.

Guest ObaStar

Could you/would you swap your allegiance from NUFC over to a NCFC?

Leaving your beloved NUFC and the mess Ashley has created to support a new Newcastle City Football Club.

Say a NCFC managed by Shearer Owned by a Geordie consortium?

man utd fans did this like 5 years ago after the glazers took over. now their team is still non league and the real club is best in the world

But supporters with better credentials than you are jacking it in. Its not a contest. 

if they are jacking it in, how do they have better credentials?

Guest Howaythetoon

If NUFC ceased to exist so too would any interest I have for the game outside of youth football. I couldn't imagine nowt worse than following a club formed out of protest because you don't like the people who run your own club. To me that's no different than going out and supporting another Premier League club. Its a moot point anyway because NUFC will never cease to exist. It may drop down a division or 3 or go bust but as long as there is an entire city willing to follow its fortunes good or bad, it will forever be the institution it is, even if in name only.

This is why I and thousands of others would follow this club all the way to the Conference North (or wouldn't slash our wrists should we go down) because deep down it isn't about status or who the opposition will be on a Saturday, its about belonging to something that is untouchable, that something being Geordie Pride that we all carry in us, a pride that is everything and everything Geordie. Be it Ant and Dec, a Bottle of Broon, the Viz or Alan Shearer and that b****** football club of ours which may be given us jip but seriously, would you swap it for any other?

Even if you jack your ST in come kick-off your mind will be at SJP or wherever we are playing. You'll always look out for the scores and feel immense pride when your team wins.

If NUFC ceased to exist so too would any interest I have for the game outside of youth football. I couldn't imagine nowt worse than following a club formed out of protest because you don't like the people who run your own club. To me that's no different than going out and supporting another Premier League club. Its a moot point anyway because NUFC will never cease to exist. It may drop down a division or 3 or go bust but as long as there is an entire city willing to follow its fortunes good or bad, it will forever be the institution it is, even if in name only.

This is why I and thousands of others would follow this club all the way to the Conference North (or wouldn't slash our wrists should we go down) because deep down it isn't about status or who the opposition will be on a Saturday, its about belonging to something that is untouchable, that something being Geordie Pride that we all carry in us, a pride that is everything and everything Geordie. Be it Ant and Dec, a Bottle of Broon, the Viz or Alan Shearer and that b****** football club of ours which may be given us jip but seriously, would you swap it for any other?

Even if you jack your ST in come kick-off your mind will be at SJP or wherever we are playing. You'll always look out for the scores and feel immense pride when your team wins.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Could you rephrase the question, its doesnt really make sense.

Ok I'll re-phrase it:

Why can't a Geordie consortium buy the real Newcastle rather than start a new club on the cheap? is that better?

It’s not about winning or losing. It’s about what the club stands for, which under Ashley is quickly becoming f*** all.

What did it stand for pre-Ashley?

Oh that’s a complex question. One that requires leaps of faith and a bit of patience… totally unsuited for the robust nit picking on here. The answer also varies from person to person, though most would share a some deep rooted common ground.

Ask yourself why you actively support Newcastle United. And if the answer is something simple like because I was born there, ask yourself again. After that you’ll have to work it out for yourself.

What's your answer to this question then?  I only asked originally because it seemed you were talking rubbish, and I got the exact answer I expected: obscure non-specifics.

Guest Howaythetoon

Ok I'll re-phrase it:

Why can't a Geordie consortium buy the real Newcastle rather than start a new club on the cheap? is that better?

We can't even agree on a supporters club man...

Theoretically it isn't impossible however.

I could easily draw up a working business plan to raise the money needed to buy Newcastle United, but it would require intelligent business men and backing to lead it and succeed. It isn't impossible though.

Long-term, I genuinely think it would be in everyone's best interest if clubs like ours were owned by fans and it would personally be a dream of mine in the same way people dream of winning the league or a cup, to see NUFC owned by the very people it belongs to.

Guest Howaythetoon

I support Newcastle because its my club, its an extension of who I am, my culture, my city and us as Geordies in the same way the Tyne Bridge for me says "home" or hyem. It is as much a part of me as my dialect is or my birth certificate which reads born General Hospital making me a Geordie and you can't change that. You could go and live in London and eventually take on a southern accent but you will forever be a Geordie. People need to remember NUFC is untouchable, that badge, that name and what it represents. It certainly doesn't represent top-flight football or trophies or any of that lets be honest bull shit. It represents (for me) who I am and where I'm from and what my city and Geordies are all about.

Guest fading star

Ashley is tearing the heart out of NUFC. Basically the only thing left worth supporting is the name. Where's the pride in that?

Ashley is tearing the heart out of NUFC. Basically the only thing left worth supporting is the name. Where's the pride in that?

Because we are worse than we once were?  What is taking away that was there before? 

What else would you support other than the name?  Players come and go, same goes for fans, managers and owners, the name is all that ever stays.

Guest fading star

I support Newcastle because its my club, its an extension of who I am, my culture, my city and us as Geordies in the same way the Tyne Bridge for me says "home" or hyem. It is as much a part of me as my dialect is or my birth certificate which reads born General Hospital making me a Geordie and you can't change that. You could go and live in London and eventually take on a southern accent but you will forever be a Geordie. People need to remember NUFC is untouchable, that badge, that name and what it represents. It certainly doesn't represent top-flight football or trophies or any of that lets be honest bull s***. It represents (for me) who I am and where I'm from and what my city and Geordies are all about.

Perhaps that should read was? The local culture’s influence on NUFC has been diminished to nothing.  This is why there’s so much tension in the air.

Guest fading star

Because we are worse than we once were?  What is taking away that was there before? 

What else would you support other than the name?  Players come and go, same goes for fans, managers and owners, the name is all that ever stays.

A concept, a philosophy, the embodiment of cultural pride? Who knows, but people don’t support a collection of letters.

Word meanings change. Like Lilywhites. For a long, long time it sort of stood for ‘good old fashioned sporting values’, then it was bought by you-know-who and virtually overnight there were pictures of Anna Kornikova’s arse all over the walls. An improvement you might say, but for the people who cared about lilliwhites(sic) it marked the end of a love affair.

A concept, a philosophy, the embodiment of cultural pride? Who knows, but people don’t support a collection of letters.

What was our philosophy pre-Ashley and what is it now?

Guest fading star

What was the club's philosophy pre-Ashley and what is it now?

Newcastle United is a big club with big support. 

Newcastle United is a little club with big support.

A concept, a philosophy, the embodiment of cultural pride? Who knows, but people don?t support a collection of letters.

Word meanings change. Like Lilywhites. For a long, long time it sort of stood for ?good old fashioned sporting values?, then it was bought by you-know-who and virtually overnight there were pictures of Anna Kornikova?s arse all over the walls. An improvement you might say, but for the people who cared about lilliwhites(sic) it marked the end of a love affair.

So, for you, the club is a bit like a department store, and now you'd rather go and shop at Mackems & Spencer instead because you prefer their advertising?

Guest fading star

No. It’s more like a drug that really did the business for a long time, but has lost it’s magic since the new dealer rode into town. Only mugs do crap gear. 

No. It?s more like a drug that really did the business for a long time, but has lost it?s magic since the new dealer rode into town. Only mugs do crap gear. 

Same thing, then. You're just a jaded consumer complaining about the product.

A concept, a philosophy, the embodiment of cultural pride? Who knows, but people don?t support a collection of letters.

Word meanings change. Like Lilywhites. For a long, long time it sort of stood for ?good old fashioned sporting values?, then it was bought by you-know-who and virtually overnight there were pictures of Anna Kornikova?s arse all over the walls. An improvement you might say, but for the people who cared about lilliwhites(sic) it marked the end of a love affair.

So, for you, the club is a bit like a department store, and now you'd rather go and shop at Mackems & Spencer instead because you prefer their advertising?

how many people have came on here and said its like any other business ? Why didn't you disagree with them at the time, like I did ?