Newcastle put contract talks on hold

Guest Ebolarama

Guest Ebolarama
Contract talks have been put on hold at Newcastle until the club's destination for the 2009-10 season is determined. United remain out of the bottom three only on goal difference and with relegation to the Championship a distinct possibility the caretaker manager, Chris Hughton, says the future of the club takes precedence over the future of the players.

"The most important thing is they are fighting for the club's survival," Hughton told the Newcastle Evening Chronicle. "The fear of this club not being in this division next season supersedes absolutely everything.

"I don't think at this moment players are thinking about their futures. What they are thinking about is making sure we win enough games, get enough points to stay in this division. Any thoughts of the future come at the end of the season."

A whole host of players would be likely to leave St James' Park in the event of relegation, with Michael Owen and Mark Viduka thought likely to be among them. Obafemi Martins, Jonás Gutiérrez and Sébastien Bassong would also be likely to depart.

Hughton can avoid an exodus if he can keep the club in the top flight, but the Magpies could well be in the relegation zone in the next fortnight — their next two fixtures are at home to Arsenal and Chelsea

"From our point of view, there are two things: one is the result, and the other is the performance, and you can gain something from both," said Hughton. "I can always say the most important thing for us is the result, which it is. But very quickly after that, we have got to make sure we get a performance because it is about having a run of games and building confidence."

Source

Andy Carroll's contract talks went on hold for the same reason, then a couple of days later he signed a new one. So it would seem that contract holds with decent players are on hold while Ameobi, Carroll and Butt are signing contracts quicker than Stephen Carr at the DSS.

Nothing sensible about it!

Why release this statement shortly after Butt, Ameobi and Carrol have all signed extensions, yet Bassong is told to wait until the summer?

We should be working hard to secure the Bas down on a long term deal and if the dreaded occurs, we can sell at a good price!

This club really is a disgrace from top to bottom at the mo, nothing surprises me and my only fear is i really cant see any light at the end of the worlds longest, darkest tunnel!

More likely they're waiting to see what league we're in rather than committing to paying wages with money we might not have.

That and it'll be better to just concentrate on what happens on the pitch.

More likely they're waiting to see what league we're in rather than committing to paying wages with money we might not have.

That and it'll be better to just concentrate on what happens on the pitch.

If I'm Bassong, and I see Shola making more money than me while impersonating a horse in a hockey rink, my concentration is fucked.

As pointed out though, it didn't seem to bother them when handing out new deals to tripe like Butt, Ameobi and probably Carroll. Those players are cheap though. :thup:

To be fair Dave, Carroll and Ameobi might (I say might) do alright in the Championship. Doubt Butt is quick enough for League 1 never mind the Championship.

Smith might even be able to score a goal*!

* then again probably not

Guest toonlass

Even if they were to hand contract offers to the likes of Bassong etc, why would he sign it until he knows what division we are playing in next year. The reason Ameobi, Carroll and Butt signed theirs was because they are Championship at best and if we are in the premiership that's a bonus.

He doesn't even know what one is.

He acts sometimes like he doesn't know what a f***ing ball is. He's quick enough to give the fucker to the opposition though.

Even if they were to hand contract offers to the likes of Bassong etc, why would he sign it until he knows what division we are playing in next year.

He could still move on regardless. I wouldn't hold it against him if he didn't want to honour his contract if we get relegated.

Wouldn't it make more sense to tie them up to long term deals to get bigger fee's for them if we got through the trap door?

Or people will think "fuck that" and we'll be stuck with unhappy players, on big wages, in the Championship.

That = disaster in my books ;)