Paul Gascoigne

Thespence

Link not working for me.

Still, Gazza or Kinnear... There's a choice!

Gazza: Fergie would have made me one of his legends had I joined United

Paul Gascoigne has admitted he regrets not playing for Manchester United

Paul Gascoigne claims he would have been a Manchester United legend if he had not snubbed the club as a youngster.

Gascoigne, 41, says it was one of his greatest regrets that he did not sign for Sir Alex Ferguson, who admitted this week that ‘not getting Gazza’ was his biggest disappointment as a manager.

‘He was a fabulous footballer and he would have done brilliantly here,’ said the United boss in the New Statesman.

The young Gazza, then on the verge of joining United from Newcastle, was shown around the training ground but chose to join Tottenham instead - and when he contacted Ferguson years later, he says the Scot did not seem interested.

‘Maybe if I had stayed at Man U, I might have been still there,’ the former England midfielder tells Sky News tonight.

‘Look at young Rooney, the Neville brothers and Becks, the way he (Ferguson) just brought them on. I got invited to the academy and it is a magnificent place and you can see the way he treats his players, he treats them with respect but he also makes men out of boys.

‘It took me six years to get back talking to Sir Alex. I called him from Lazio and asked him would he sign us.

Gascoigne

'He was with Eric Cantona and he said he would see what Eric Cantona was going to do, but I think everyone knows if you do something to Sir Alex Ferguson the way I did, you don’t get a second chance.’

Gascoigne has great admiration for the current United squad, picking out Cristiano Ronaldo as the player he views as ‘the new Gazza’.

‘I think he is doing a lot better this year than he did last year, even though he doesn’t score as many goals. I think Sir Alex has made him a complete player.’

Sir Alex Ferguson said in an interview that his biggest regret was not signing Paul Gascoigne

Gascoigne also revealed that he had recently been invited to visit Diego Maradona.

‘I got a call, they just said Maradona has invited us to stay with him. I said I’d just leave it because he was taking on the job of Argentina coach and he would be busy anyway.

‘In time I would love to manage Newcastle but you have got to take your badges, you have got to be strong. I am feeling really strong now.’

Cheers.

Not sure why the link won't work for me, tried clicking it and copy and paste and still no joy.

Agree though that under Fergie Gazza would have become a truly great player. One of the few managers who could have curbed his self-destruct tendencies.

Cheers.

Not sure why the link won't work for me, tried clicking it and copy and paste and still no joy.

Agree though that under Fergie Gazza would have become a truly great player. One of the few managers who could have curbed his self-destruct tendencies.

It worked at first but has since stopped working, I had it open in another tab.

Seems to be trying to put his demons behind him at least. Hope he has, he was a cracking lad when i had the opportunity to meet him.

Yup. Had a decent chat with him all those yrs ago when he played for Rangers. Absolutely loves NUFC (not). Good craic. Pinched my arse though! the cheeky git

• 4 weeks later...

I thought he looked canny. Doubtlessly, he'll be on a few meds to manage his depression. Good to see him back on form, IMO.

Looked terrible I thought and seemed like he was on another planet. He might be sober but his head's gone.

I thought he looked canny. Doubtlessly, he'll be on a few meds to manage his depression. Good to see him back on form, IMO.

Didn't see it, but I'd guess (and hope) that would explain whatever people have noticed.

Guest Mantis

He was quite good and he was sober.  His voice sounds slurred now anyway but he was on form and sharp with the quips.  Lets hope he can keep himself occupied and stay on the straight and narrow.  He needs to be employed somewhere so he has something constructive to do with himself.

He was quite good and he was sober.  His voice sounds slurred now anyway but he was on form and sharp with the quips.  Lets hope he can keep himself occupied and stay on the straight and narrow.  He needs to be employed somewhere so he has something constructive to do with himself.

Witley Bay might need a boot boy...

Witley Bay might need a boot boy...

That anywhere near Whitley Bay?

I watched him on gmtv a few weeks ago and he said all the medication he was taking had a big effect on his speech and he sounded pissed but evetually he would be ok once the side effects wore off, i say good luck to him .

Good luck to him, at the start of the interview, he just seemed to want to talk about his problems but he took it all in his stride well IMO, considering the problems he has had.

Didnt think they would get him back in the studio for the rest of the show once he took a pen against Elvis! :lol: