Paul Gascoigne

Thespence

Guest HTT II
7 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

Glenn Roeder went to Italy with Gazza, IIRC to keep an eye on him. Not sure how long it lasted for though. Glenn was very much a father figure for him, at the time.

Roeder was such a top guy, he should have never been given the full-time job here, but I’ll never forget his caretaker stint nor the job he did here as a player even though it was before my time, or the work he did behind the scenes with the academy etc. 

On 04/05/2022 at 16:29, Paully said:

If only he’d went to Man Utd and Fergie had of got a hold of him - he should be right up there as one of the best ever!

Man Ure had a massive drinking culture at the time iirc.

Fergie may have been able to channel some of his energy though

Guest HTT II
6 hours ago, Happinesstan said:

Always thought it was a possibility.

I think it would have come out by now if he was, given the crazy scrutiny around his entire life and of course the phone tapping stuff.

9 hours ago, HTT II said:

I think it would have come out by now if he was, given the crazy scrutiny around his entire life and of course the phone tapping stuff.

I know we see a lot of people outed so it seems like they all are, but I reckon you'd be surprised how many are left alone. I'm convinced it's only a certain type of gay that is hounded.

As discussed in another thread, the male of the species exists at both ends of the gender spectrum, Macho men and effeminate. It stands to reason this would also be true within the gay community. No evidence but I wouldn't be surprised if there were a lot of your typical homophobic, in the closet gays working in the media, particularly in Gassa's time. When things were a lot less acceptable. Maybe why they hounded out the effeminate type, and painted them as the typical homosexual, to divert the attention from themselves.

Although in truth I just think he's never admitted it to himself.

Edited by Happinesstan

• 10 months later...

Gazza on Channel4 now, on this new 'Scared of the Dark' thing, looks like big brother in a pitch black house.

He looks rough, like.

And who thinks it's a good idea for him to go on this??

7 minutes ago, TK-421 said:

Gazza on Channel4 now, on this new 'Scared of the Dark' thing, looks like big brother in a pitch black house.

He looks rough, like.

And who thinks it's a good idea for him to go on this??

Immediately my thought. Seems a ridiculous show in general. Someone in tears before the first challenge starts. :lol: I didn't watch from the start; did they know the premise of the show before it began?

9 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Has he shared his story yet about the visit to Downing Street where he got aroused by Maggie and had to nip to the toilet to beat one out?

He literally just has!

sliding doors moments in his life.

if only he'd gone to manu rather than spuds.

if only he'd not gone into that cup final tackle. i'm sure he had made a shitty tackle minutes beforehand?- maybe if he'd gotten a yellow for that it would have changed things.

it was glorious seeing him at SJP in the 80's. no one has ever come close. that kid had the lot.

Edited by huss9

28 minutes ago, huss9 said:

the raoul moat serial starts tonight.

but they're not including anthing to do with gazza.

They did mention him for a few minutes. Even played the recordings of him.

He won the show (scared of the dark)

Was interesting tbh, and he actually grew and grew as it went on.

The blind comedian though, so sad for him, everyone gets to go back to light and him feeling useful to others for the 1st time in decades is all gone.

1 hour ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

He's mint him. Beats me on the letters round in countdown on the reg.

Did you watch the show? If you like him, you'll love him on this. Proper stands up to Eubank, who is a massive cunt (shock horror)

7 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Did you watch the show? If you like him, you'll love him on this. Proper stands up to Eubank, who is a massive cunt (shock horror)

Anyone showing that fucking wanker up is good in my book

I haven’t seen the show so can’t be sure of any additional context, but Eubank was always a wanker.  For a bloke who dressed like Little Lord Fauntleroy he always had a complete lack of self-awareness as well as a sense of humour bypass.  Thirty years on I’m still annoyed that Nigel Benn (who I did like) didn’t beat him, though Steve Collins beating him after pretending to be hypnotised was fucking laugh-out-loud great. 

• 4 months later...