Is the right wing our weakest area?

TRon

We complain about Butt in centre midfield, but in reality there are any amount of people who could do a job there, like Barton, Guthrie, Geremi and Smith. Since selling Milner (who was shit) do we have any real options on the right, and is this the position we need to strengthen above any other next season?

We complain about Butt in centre midfield, but in reality there are any amount of people who could do a job there, like Barton, Guthrie, Geremi and Smith. Since selling Milner (who was shit) do we have any real options on the right, and is this the position we need to strengthen above any other next season?

I think the most important thing to do is get a proper goal scorer in, then a (good) attacking central midfielder, then right winger.

Of course if we go down, we could be rebuilding in most positions.

Guest Brummiemag

Goal scorer is the least of our worries, at least if we keep the current personnel.  It's about the lack of creativity in central midfield for me

Agree

RM seems the weakest because whomever plays there inevitably shifts inside to make up for the deficiencies in central midfield.

Strengthening central midfield should remain a priority, imo. Wouldn't turn my nose up at a new RM, but I'll be dumbfounded if Butt is still starting next year.

It's a big problem, not least because opposition teams can just double up on the genuine threat down the left from Enrique, Jonas and Martins safe in the knowledge that we can't switch the play to any effect.

Can't get my head round not trying to bring in Lua Lua in this situation. If he turns out not to be good enough, fair enough - I'd rather find out than watch dross like Duff and Geremi try and do a job they're clearly not cut out for.

I think we're okay out wide. I'd like a centre back and a striker that can drop deeper as main targets.

I think we are ok wide left, but who do you consider a decent option on the right?

I think we're okay out wide. I'd like a centre back and a striker that can drop deeper as main targets.

I think we are ok wide left, but who do you consider a decent option on the right?

Duff and Guti can play either side, and there's Lua Lua as back up. Not ideal, but not our weakest area is all I'd say. (Yes, I don't think Duff is that bad)

It's the spine of the team that we really need to get right. There's an old adage that a team is strong from the back forwards, and the middle outwards, which I think is basically true.

Guest Heneage

In an attacking sense, the right wing is easily our weakest front, we have Jonas/Duff on the left and top quality strikers. However defensively from the right we are relatively sound. In Ryan Taylor we have someone who naturally will defend as he really is a Right back out of position. Taylor bombs forward like a nutcase, and if we could get Ryan to drop back we could actually have a good little right flank on the go.

If I'm honest I still think we are weakest in the centre, the thing about the flanks on a pitch is, excusing crosses, they aren't major places from where you can really suffer. Or at least we don't conceed from the wing often. Our biggest problem and its flogging seabiscuit I know, is the central midfield. Instead of just taking shots at Nicky Butt, I will attempt to be more constructive. Nicky Butt at his current age and mobility level can only work in a 5 man midfield, something like a Portsmouth, or Everton used to play, in that Carsley role, sat back deep, just playing across the pitch not along it. To say because he is slow means he is done for is daft when you venture over to France's capital and see Claude Makélélé.

At 36, and standing at around 5'5 he is not the physical beast he once was. But he holds a major part in the success of PSG, simply because he doesn't do much. I know that sounds crazy but it really is that simple, in the modern game, where every player must serve 3 roles and be in peak physical condition, Makélélé breaks all of those rules. The problem is, and the reason why we can't use Butt in this role currently is because of the squad. Le Guen who in my opinion has made quite a masterstroke here, bought players in Jeremy Clement and Stephen Sessegnon with brilliant engines. The two of them have good pace, and help Paris break on the counter with tremendous speed.

The thing is, looking at the PSG starting XI, you could substitute some players. The back four is quite similar really, Sakho to Bassong, Beye to Cerea Enrique to Armand. Moving in to the midfield, Butt in the Make role, Barton like Clement, the grafting passer the difference being Barton probably has more in his locker than Clement. If we still had Mr Insomnia he could have been or Sessegnon, but in the current situation Jonas could quite easily be the midfields driving force. Martins playing the Giuly link role with his pace, and Carroll assuming Viduka is now lost, doing his best to play like their big lad up top Guilleme Hoarau.

Guest Heneage

Newcastle-Online: Your first choice for Paris Saint Germain tactical dissertations.

Smacks of look at me I know French football. Excellent.

Why do you shun the chance to gain knowledge. There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action, as a wise man once said.

it's one of numerous position in which we're shockingly weak. perhaps it is the worst of all when you think that we sorely needed to strengthen there in the summer, following Solano and Dyer's departures the previous summer, only to sell our only remaining RW and fail to replace him in January. central midfield is pretty shocking too, in fact i'd like two new midfielders in the summer if we stay up, one to replace Butt (another move that shouldnt happened ages go) and a more creative player alongside that.

Jonas's preferred position is right winger and we play him on the left side...same with Duff but left footed player on the right side of the pitch! Lovenkrands is also a lfet footed guy but JK & CH insist to use him on at RW position. Something's not quite clicking. I know these guys are professionals and can adapt do different positions especially if they're both right/left footed. However...with all these players their preferred foot is a lot better(I'm not saying they can't shoot with the other but) and at the moment they need to cut in to get into a shooting position as they clearly tend to go for their better foot! Just think about yourselves...you have your fav playing position but you're not allowed to play there because of the coaches tactical inability so you know you cannot get the best out of yourself for the team because of your playing position. Must have some effect on playing morale as well

And about the question. No doubt it's the central midfield even when the best players are available. If Barton can keep him away from personal troubles he's out injured for sure. Guthrie hasn't quite proved himself yet IMO. I think Nolan as a defensive CM is our only solid option in the central midfield atm

Newcastle-Online: Your first choice for Paris Saint Germain tactical dissertations.

Smacks of look at me I know French football. Excellent.

Why do you shun the chance to gain knowledge. There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action, as a wise man once said.

Because if I want to gain knowledge on something I like to actual view things for myself and then form an opinion.

Jonas's preferred position is right winger and we play him on the left side...same with Duff but left footed player on the right side of the pitch! Lovenkrands is also a lfet footed guy but JK & CH insist to use him on at RW position. Something's not quite clicking. I know these guys are professionals and can adapt do different positions especially if they're both right/left footed. However...with all these players their preferred foot is a lot better(I'm not saying they can't shoot with the other but) and at the moment they need to cut in to get into a shooting position as they clearly tend to go for their better foot! Just think about yourselves...you have your fav playing position but you're not allowed to play there because of the coaches tactical inability so you know you cannot get the best out of yourself for the team because of your playing position. Must have some effect on playing morale as well

And about the question. No doubt it's the central midfield even when the best players are available. If Barton can keep him away from personal troubles he's out injured for sure. Guthrie hasn't quite proved himself yet IMO. I think Nolan as a defensive CM is our only solid option in the central midfield atm

I think Jonas is better down the left, and that's where he had his best game for us as well.

Chronic lack of pace and creativity in the centre of our midfield is the biggest problem; by a country mile. We can play Jonas/ Duff on the right and just about get away with we have nothing in the centre.

We complain about Butt in centre midfield, but in reality there are any amount of people who could do a job there, like Barton, Guthrie, Geremi and Smith. Since selling Milner (who was s***) do we have any real options on the right, and is this the position we need to strengthen above any other next season?

I think the most important thing to do is get a proper goal scorer in, then a (good) attacking central midfielder, then right winger.

Of course if we go down, we could be rebuilding in most positions.

could LuaLua play right wing? maybe not from the start but when we are down and need to create chances!