Steve Harper

Tooj

A couple of things have sprung to me as of late with regards to Harper.

Since he's become first choice he seems to be very sluggish to react to things and probably could do with being a bit lighter. At times he appears very hesitant when making decisions. Although he did make a couple of canny saves yesterday from what I remember.

Also his kicking is now as bad as Given's, or it appears to be. Now I also used to remember him having quite good distribution, but it's just aimless punts to Martins, that at times go nowhere near him, or despite his leap it's pointless aiming long balls at Martins all day long. There has been plenty of opportunities for him to take a goal kick quick and knock it out to a defender, yet he never does this. Which then gives the opposition time to regroup and reorganize. I'm not sure if it's tactical mind, but just what I see happening.

In his first game back he was throwing the ball out to defenders to start playing from the back which all proper football sides do, now he's gradually punting it upfield more and more just like Given did. I don't know whether that's due to instruction or just playing safe. Otherwise he is what he is - a competent keeper who will do an unspectacular job. Krul and Forster are probably much more gifted but are inexperienced.

Some of his save yesterday where class,

Every thread at the minute is ripping into players we should try and put this past us and get behind them 150% to try and keep us up.

getting on cases is only going to make things worse

Some of his save yesterday where class,

Every thread at the minute is ripping into players we should try and put this past us and get behind them 150% to try and keep us up.

getting on cases is only going to make things worse

I get behind them at the match though. I come on here to talk about things and criticise if needs be. But just because someone is wearing the shirt doesn't mean to me on here they're exempt from criticism.

L'Equipe, who are very pro-Arsenal because of their French connection, are raving about his performance.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/breves2009/20090321_202441_mu-et-chelsea-ko-arsenal-ok.html

Last sentence of the round-up of Premiership games says..

"If he couldn't save Newcastle, Harper at least proved that there are good English goalkeepers in England">

Guest toonlass

Harper has made some cracking saves, but I agree that at times he seems hesitant and then looks a bit panicky when he has decided what he is going to do. Despite that though I think he is still a great keeper and will come good.

Harper has made some cracking saves, but I agree that at times he seems hesitant and then looks a bit panicky when he has decided what he is going to do. Despite that though I think he is still a great keeper and will come good.

Come good? Hes 34ish now isnt he?

Guest toonlass

Come good? Hes 34ish now isnt he?

And he is only just first choice keeper. I think he's rusty rather than anything else. At 34 he has still got 4-5 years left in him.

Guest BooBoo

We can't simply play him on the basis that he hung around in Given's shadow for so long and so deserves his chance. That was his choice. Fact is, he's not up to scratch and is costing us goals. Now is not the time to lob in youngsters like Krul and Forster but i would be looking to start one next season or failing that, bringing in someone else to don the gloves.

Guest Phil K

Not the keeper he was when he actually kept Given out of the team for a while.

I always thought he was very unlucky.

Sadly, I reluctantly agree maybe we'd be better off long term with Krul and have a fresh start with a lot of the kids instead of a pack of overpaid, sulking "stars" who aren't putting in the effort needed.

We're doomed anyways, thanks to no tactics coming out from where they SHOULD be coming from.

Wouldn't you look "a bit panicky" with that defence in front of you?!

As someone else said Harper's the least of our worries, I think he's more than up to the job.

Its football not ever keeper is going to stop every shot, yeah okay Given was better but he left and wanted to leave so fk him, Harper is here and has been loyal to us, give the lad a chance to find his feet and gain more match fitness and sharpness.

Guest neesy111

are some ppl on here goalkeeper experts, bar 1-2 keepers in the world would of saved that 3rd goal it was hit with precision and speed that he could hardly get down before it was past him

are some ppl on here goalkeeper experts, bar 1-2 keepers in the world would of saved that 3rd goal it was hit with precision and speed that he could hardly get down before it was past him

Due to poor positioning.

Guest neesy111

Due to poor positioning.

notice how only newcastle fan's have picked up on it, there are some really fickle fan's on this board

Guest Howaythetoon

Some of his shot stopping reactions yesterday were first clash but as Tooj says he seems sluggish and several times he failed to communicate with Colo and Bassong to leave the ball as it was going through to him. His kicking is extremely poor too, as is his decision making when kicking. That said, he is the least of our problems and a more than good enough custodian in goal.

Due to poor positioning.

notice how only newcastle fan's have picked up on it, there are some really fickle fan's on this board

Why would fans of other clubs be looking and trying to analyze our performance to the same detail as Newcastle fans?

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/6105/harper.jpg

Too big a gap at his near post imo, but just because I'm pointing out an error it doesn't mean I'm fickle, I've also mentioned he made some very good saves yesterday.

Guest Howaythetoon

Due to poor positioning.

Why would fans of other clubs be looking and trying to analyze our performance to the same detail as Newcastle fans?

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/6105/harper.jpg

Too big a gap at his near post imo, but just because I'm pointing out an error it doesn't mean I'm fickle, I've also mentioned he made some very good saves yesterday.

The rule of thumb with 'keepers is "can you cover it"? Harper did have it covered but failed to react quickly enough, that was his error, not his positioning.