We have no strengths!

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest sicko2ndbest

Why do the top sides tend to save their best performances for us. I know its not an absolute rule, but if you look at the last few seasons, Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal have all saved some of their best team performances for us. The reason is, we have no Strengths:

1) We try and play football against the top sides and get beat because simply they are better at it than us.

2) We get physically and athletically battered against inferior footballing sides such as Stoke, Blackburn and Bolton

3) We do not have the work ethic/ fight of an Everton or a Villa who on paper have similar quality to us

4) We have no rigid shape brought about through consistency as the likes of Fulham and West Ham have.

We have the occasional good move, or the occasional individual brilliance which over the course of a season is not be enough. We need to find our niche.

Every other side seems to have one apart from us

Top 4 - Speak for themselves

Villa - Defensively sound with pace in forward areas

Everton - Fantastic work ethic

Stoke - Physically imposing

Bolton - "

Blackburn - "

Even West Brom - good one-two touch pass and move

as examples

Newcastle - ?

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/2008-2009/form-table/full

17th in the form table, with Villa, Boro and West Brom below us. Ignoring Villa obviously, the worst three teams are in the worst three positions.

Many are saying winning our home games will be vital: http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/2008-2009/form-table/home

19th. :no:

Surely our main strength is that we have a more than decent playing roster on paper. Our squad is full of internationals (or past internationals) who have the experience of playing top level football. We're just not applying ourselves as well as we should be, which is down to mis-management.

Surely our main strength is that we have a more than decent playing roster on paper. Our squad is full of internationals (or past internationals) who have the experience of playing top level football. We're just not applying ourselves as well as we should be, which is down to mis-management.

The 'on paper' quality of our players could well play a part in our downfall, ironically. As I said in another thread, these players know they can get a transfer to a decent club. They've no massive incentive to fight, so why bother?

The 'on paper' quality of our players could well play a part in our downfall, ironically. As I said in another thread, these players know they can get a transfer to a decent club. They've no massive incentive to fight, so why bother?

FML :(

a good balance and style develops over time and comes from the manager, short-term in how he finds the best way to make use of players he has inherited (like keegan last season or zola this season) and in the longer term how he shapes the squad. we've not been able to do either of those things due to too many managers, a confused transfer system and kinnear being shit/ill.

its amazing,....

sell best players, buy cheaper ones, appoint a unqualified man to manage an experienced one. Let experienced man leave,..appoint an old man with a poor sickness record. When he is ill, allow inexperienced people to run things,get relegated.

Guest Heneage

The fact we try and play football against the top teams with some modicum of success shows we have talent, its doing that against the sides with no quality that will keep us up.

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/2008-2009/form-table/full

17th in the form table, with Villa, Boro and West Brom below us. Ignoring Villa obviously, the worst three teams are in the worst three positions.

Many are saying winning our home games will be vital: http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/2008-2009/form-table/home

19th. :no:

Shocking home form! And with everyone looking at our home games againts Fulham, Boro and Portsmout as must win games, one has to be worried...

When will people face the fact that most of our players are downright s***.

I was going to bring this up.

I see a lot of posts on here and talk in the media about how your squad is good on paper & how you've got enough quality to be up there with us and Villa. I'm sorry, but I just don't see that in the slightest. I see a lot of has beens and players who are simply very average.

I struggle to think of more than a few players that would get a look in at either of those clubs I mentioned. Here, Jonas would be a nice addition because he's a pretty good wide man and we are lacking in those positions. I'd defo play him there ahead of Osman. Up front, Martins & Owen would be welcome but I don't think either would be in the first 11 whenever Yak & Cahill are available to play together.

At Villa I could see Bassong would play rather than Knight but what about when Laursen is back to partner Davies? Probably not then. Again, the strikers would get some joy with Carew probably on his way, Agbonlahor a bit erratic & Heskey being Heskey.

Apart from that I struggle to think of anyone. You've sold your only real class player in Shay Given who would  have walked into both sides.

At the risk of really pissing you off, I think Spurs have an argument that on paper they should be performing a lot better. I can understand why that gets bandied about in the media but Newcastle? I just don't see it.

Oh, forgot about this.

re: the point of having no real strength or fixed style I'd say that's a direct result of having so many managerial changes.

If Allardyce was given a few transfer windows I'm sure we would now be looking at a NUFC side full of big, tall, athletic players ala Blackburn/Pompey/Stoke. While if Keegan had stayed in charge this season I'm sure a passing, attacking style would be stuck to pretty rigidly.

Either method (and the stability it brings) would have no doubt improved results compared to the current mish-mash of an ill Kinnear and an out of his depth Hughton doing management by numbers. However, you'd still need a lot of dead wood shipping out and replacing to be able to push for say, 5th imo.

the thing is though, players like jonas and martins woulld look a lot better in teams where they have good players around them. put martins and jonas in the arsenal teams and theyd look a lot better. agree though, our only good players which would look good in any better team really are bassong, martins, owen, harper, jonas barton and maybe guthrie at a stretch

Oh, forgot about this.

re: the point of having no real strength or fixed style I'd say that's a direct result of having so many managerial changes.

If Allardyce was given a few transfer windows I'm sure we would now be looking at a NUFC side full of big, tall, athletic players ala Blackburn/Pompey/Stoke. While if Keegan had stayed in charge this season I'm sure a passing, attacking style would be stuck to pretty rigidly.

Either method (and the stability it brings) would have no doubt improved results compared to the current mish-mash of an ill Kinnear and an out of his depth Hughton doing management by numbers. However, you'd still need a lot of dead wood shipping out and replacing to be able to push for say, 5th imo.

Are Everton so boring you have to mooch around here, gloating on the obvious failings of this much bigger club than yours.

Oh, forgot about this.

spot on. having the transfers partly taken out of Keegan and Kinnear's hands further complicated matters, as did the complete failure to spend any money in net terms.

BTW to respond to your earlier post - when people say we have the quality on paper they arent really making the argument that we're better than Everton or Villa, they're making the argument that we're better than, say, Stoke or Hull, which is fair enough. on paper we're better than our current position, though not by much, and the good players we do have are miles away from amounting to a good team, the squad is unbalanced and players dont complement each other. quick example would be martins and owen, two good numbers 9s but there's only a place for one of them in the team. yet there's not a single player at the club who can really complement either of those players and build up a genuine partnership (excluding viduka here as hes never fit).

Both Martins & Owens goal/game ratio this season is better than Cahill/yakubu....considering the difference in quality of the rest of the players in each side...bit silly to say they wouldny make your first team. They've been producing in a side without a midfield all season, theyd thrive in even a decent midtable team who can half pass.

Rest i agree with. Jonas, bassong, Beye, Owen, Martins, Barton are our key/best players. 4 of them have been out for much of the season at dif times, which is why we are where we are.

When will people face the fact that most of our players are downright s***.

I was going to bring this up.

I see a lot of posts on here and talk in the media about how your squad is good on paper & how you've got enough quality to be up there with us and Villa. I'm sorry, but I just don't see that in the slightest. I see a lot of has beens and players who are simply very average.

I struggle to think of more than a few players that would get a look in at either of those clubs I mentioned. Here, Jonas would be a nice addition because he's a pretty good wide man and we are lacking in those positions. I'd defo play him there ahead of Osman. Up front, Martins & Owen would be welcome but I don't think either would be in the first 11 whenever Yak & Cahill are available to play together.

At Villa I could see Bassong would play rather than Knight but what about when Laursen is back to partner Davies? Probably not then. Again, the strikers would get some joy with Carew probably on his way, Agbonlahor a bit erratic & Heskey being Heskey.

Apart from that I struggle to think of anyone. You've sold your only real class player in Shay Given who would  have walked into both sides.

At the risk of really pissing you off, I think Spurs have an argument that on paper they should be performing a lot better. I can understand why that gets bandied about in the media but Newcastle? I just don't see it.

I think you're down on some of our players (Enrique on current form would walk into the Villa team for a start), Beye is absolute class and I think Bassong is better than anyone at Villa but you've summed it up pretty well simply by not mentioning any of our midfielders other than Jonas. Our midfield is a disgrace and anyone switched on has known it for a long time - unfortunately that doesn't include anyone currently employed by NUFC.

Our strength is Boro are shite, WBA are shiter......................we need on more strength & that will do for this season.

not sure there is one spence, i think the three worst teams are , wba, us+ smogs.